Hardly Anyone At The Hospital. Where's this National Emergency?

• oeb11
  • 03-24-2020, 05:27 PM
No reason to test when nothing different will be done for the patient.
No reason to test when nothing different will be done for the patient. Originally Posted by oeb11
Look , that is how they stopped it in S Korea, Taiwan ,Singapore and Germany,

We had much more time to prepare but Trump and Republicans laughed at it.

We couldn't test because Trump laughed at this whole thing and still is,
https://www.realclearpolitics.com/coronavirus/

Look at the "Deaths per 1MM People column". For the US it's 2 deaths for every million. Less than the regular flu. We're being misled. The cure is worse than the disease.

Prove me wrong. Originally Posted by gnadfly
I say you may be onto something - don't let the bastards get you down.
I say you may be onto something - don't let the bastards get you down. Originally Posted by friendly fred
Did your mom have any children that lived?
Did your mom have any children that lived? Originally Posted by FrankZappa
Unfortunately, your mother did.
Look , that is how they stopped it in S Korea, Taiwan ,Singapore and Germany,

We had much more time to prepare but Trump and Republicans laughed at it.

We couldn't test because Trump laughed at this whole thing and still is, Originally Posted by FrankZappa
Now tell us how they treated the virus?
  • Tiny
  • 03-24-2020, 09:31 PM
What you don't realize is testing doesn't indicate a particular Virus only the presence of a Virus. Besides that as in any lab test you have a percentage of error which could indicate false positive and negatives for viral activity. For most cases you are only treating symptoms. Hospitalization would only be beneficial for those with high grade fever and signs of dehydration. Pandemic doesn't mean mass casualties in only means significant numbers of cases over large number of locations. Originally Posted by Levianon17
I read up a little on what you wrote, and don't disagree with anything you said. I agree 100% with the end of your post -- you treat the symptoms, there's no cure, you only hospitalize for severe cases.

However you're missing the big picture. The early tests the Chinese and, sadly, our CDC were using did have false positive rates, as much as 50% high. The tests have gotten better. And the false negatives were rare from the start.

But so what if you've got 50% false positives? (And you don't anymore - the tests have improved.) So you end up isolating 50% more people. In Texas right now, kind of pulling numbers out of the air, that might be 3% or 4% of the population instead of 2%. You end up with three or four percent of people confined to home, and the other 97% can go about their business, be it work or school or whatever.

Now say that this is one huge hoax, as you may believe. We're about to have a $2 trillion or $2.5 trillion stimulus bill passed. The more pessimistic economists are forecasting a 30% drop in GDP, which is $6 trillion off of GDP. If we'd gone into overdrive, gone to the mattresses like we were trying to head off World War III and invested a few tens of billions of dollars in testing or maybe a bit more (hell if I know), we'd be getting off really, really cheap compared to what we're going to pay.

I'd also like to see us making a Herculean effort to develop a vaccine and get it through the FDA in a lot less than than 18 months. Again, the benefits of doing that would far, far exceed the costs, even if this were a hoax.

Btw, about the test detecting other viruses, the only thing I could find was that it was hard to distinguish people who had Dengue Fever from those who had Covid 19. And dengue is practically unknown in the USA.
  • Tiny
  • 03-24-2020, 09:39 PM
Look , that is how they stopped it in S Korea, Taiwan ,Singapore and Germany, Originally Posted by FrankZappa
Bring up anything that implies we can learn anything from another country's experience and you're going to get laughed out of here. You've got to deny reality and totally ignore what's happening in the world outside of the USA if you want to fit in here Frankie. Btw, New York City isn't part of the USA.
I read up a little on what you wrote, and don't disagree with anything you said. I agree 100% with the end of your post -- you treat the symptoms, there's no cure, you only hospitalize for severe cases.

However you're missing the big picture. The early tests the Chinese and, sadly, our CDC were using did have false positive rates, as much as 50% high. The tests have gotten better. And the false negatives were rare from the start.

But so what if you've got 50% false positives? (And you don't anymore - the tests have improved.) So you end up isolating 50% more people. In Texas right now, kind of pulling numbers out of the air, that might be 3% or 4% of the population instead of 2%. You end up with three or four percent of people confined to home, and the other 97% can go about their business, be it work or school or whatever.

Now say that this is one huge hoax, as you may believe. We're about to have a $2 trillion or $2.5 trillion stimulus bill passed. The more pessimistic economists are forecasting a 30% drop in GDP, which is $6 trillion off of GDP. If we'd gone into overdrive, gone to the mattresses like we were trying to head off World War III and invested a few tens of billions of dollars in testing or maybe a bit more (hell if I know), we'd be getting off really, really cheap compared to what we're going to pay.

I'd also like to see us making a Herculean effort to develop a vaccine and get it through the FDA in a lot less than than 18 months. Again, the benefits of doing that would far, far exceed the costs, even if this were a hoax.

Btw, about the test detecting other viruses, the only thing I could find was that it was hard to distinguish people who had Dengue Fever from those who had Covid 19. And dengue is practically unknown in the USA. Originally Posted by Tiny
I wouldn't trust a vaccine at all. If they claim they have one, I would never take it. Many that do would be sick as fuck many would die, those that didn't would have health issues they never had before. What you and many haven't figured out yet is Government leaders don't give a shit about you. There is something going on Globally with all Governments and it's not to people's benefit. I don't know where you get your information from on this subject but if it doesn't have a medical origin it's probably not very accurate.
  • Tiny
  • 03-24-2020, 10:23 PM
I don't know where you get your information from on this subject but if it doesn't have a medical origin it's probably not very accurate. Originally Posted by Levianon17
The majority of what I was looking at related to your post had a medical origin. I was scanning abstracts in papers.
  • Tiny
  • 03-24-2020, 10:28 PM
Also, yeah, Government leaders don't give a shit about you or me. As to vaccines, if you wouldn't trust a vaccine that's rushed out quickly like I was advocating, fair enough, you could be right and the FDA and many physicians would agree with you. If you just don't like vaccines that's another thing, they've saved hundreds of millions of lives.
Italy got hit before us. We will be there in a few weeks. We aren't doing anything to stop it except for the Republicans saying it is overblown and overhyped by the fake news according to the Trumpsters. Obviously, you can't understand these numbers, all of these countries had it before we did . Our cases are growing exponentially.
I Originally Posted by FrankZappa
Gnadlfy is an idiot, but frankly, you are too.

By what standard are you saying "We aren't doing anything to stop it"? Clearly we are. And it is tanking the economy.

And even your own posts acknowledge we are doing something (quarantining, self-isolating, social distancing, closing all restaurants, bars, sports venues, etc.). And you have been criticizing anyone who says we shouldn't do those things.

So which is it? Are we doing nothing or not?
Also, yeah, Government leaders don't give a shit about you or me. As to vaccines, if you wouldn't trust a vaccine that's rushed out quickly like I was advocating, fair enough, you could be right and the FDA and many physicians would agree with you. If you just don't like vaccines that's another thing, they've saved hundreds of millions of lives. Originally Posted by Tiny
Some vaccines have eradicated disease such as Polio and that's even debatable. Some vaccines have even ruined lives. It's really a chance you're taking especially with a new vaccine and a new virus. It takes a long time to perfect a vaccine for safety and effectiveness. We are a drug happy society. Drug Companies want to make money so they rush to put something out there. People have a perverted attitude about vaccines. They think if people don't get a flu shot they are a social threat to those that do. A long time question within Public Health and Epidemiology is "Within any given population or group why does one person get sick and another doesn't" even considering all members of the group are subjected to the same or similar conditions. In 2018 in the United states alone 61,000 people lost their lives to the Flu and we have a vaccine for it. Now, I have no information to how many took the Flu shot and how many didn't among the number of deceased, but you can bet it's both. I didn't take the Flu shot that year and I traveled to Chicago. I went from a state that was about forty degrees warmer than Illinois and I didn't get sick and I was 60 years old. So with this Covid-19 we don't know what it's going to do or how many more will become ill or die. What we are doing right now with Social Distancing we have nothing to compare it to in terms of reducing the spread. But we are doing something different and at best it's just psychological.
haven't seen this mentioned.

if those of a certain blood type are at risk of getting the virus.

if you're blood type is A, and B, you're at risk. those of A-, B-, AB, and O are not at risk.
haven't seen this mentioned.

if those of a certain blood type are at risk of getting the virus.

if you're blood type is A, and B, you're at risk. those of A-, B-, AB, and O are not at risk. Originally Posted by dilbert firestorm
Please cite an authoritative source...