Guns don't kill people ... Colleges in Oregon do

Actually REPORTED gun ownership in homes is estimated to be at the lowest level in about 50 years. Originally Posted by SpeedRacerXXX
FIFY ........

.... Actually here's how it REALLY goes ...

.... How many guns do you have in your house? None of your business!
.... Well, I have to know. Then, none.
I could go through countless scenarios in which a person with a concealed handgun could be tempted to pull it and start shooting without taking into account the safety of EVERYONE, not just himself. You are, I assume, fairly skilled with a handgun. Very few probably have your level of expertise. In some states I, who have never fired a handgun in my life, can simply buy one and legally walk down a busy street with it concealed wherever one conceals it. I see a crime being committed. What are my rights to intervene? I don't know since I've never been to a class informing me of such rights. Google Fred Yazdi. I decide to fire at the bad guy. Never having fired the handgun, what are my odds of hitting him or an innocent person?

The more knowledge and practice a person has with a handgun the better for all IMHO. Originally Posted by SpeedRacerXXX
This is a straw man argument if I have even seen one. Bottom line, there have been very few cases out of millions of CCW permit holders where any of what you speak has happened. You hypothetical anything, but it always comes back to the reality.
This is a straw man argument if I have even seen one. Bottom line, there have been very few cases out of millions of CCW permit holders where any of what you speak has happened. You hypothetical anything, but it always comes back to the reality. Originally Posted by dirty dog
Very few cases... that you've heard of.
Very few cases... that you've heard of. Originally Posted by WombRaider
Tell us the ones you've heard of. It's possible that the ones we've never heard of didn't happen.

God, you're a dumb shit.
Tell us the ones you've heard of. It's possible that the ones we've never heard of didn't happen.

God, you're a dumb shit. Originally Posted by CuteOldGuy
Because now you trust the media, when it supports your contention, yes?
Because now you trust the media, when it supports your contention, yes? Originally Posted by WombRaider
No but I do trust law enforcement here is a report from TX

https://www.txdps.state.tx.us/RSD/CH...Report2013.pdf

I also pay attention when the press reports the truth

http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/201...-agenda-again/

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/...oar-/?page=all
Very few cases... that you've heard of. Originally Posted by WombRaider
Well prove me wrong.
Well prove me wrong. Originally Posted by dirty dog
"Well" DDIdiot ... why don't you prove you're right!
This is a straw man argument if I have even seen one. Bottom line, there have been very few cases out of millions of CCW permit holders where any of what you speak has happened. You hypothetical anything, but it always comes back to the reality. Originally Posted by dirty dog
Hypothetical??? Not at all. As you say, it COULD happen so do you want the CCW permit holder semi-skilled or unskilled? Bottom line, whether you like my hypothetical arguments or not, I really don't think it is asking too much too much to require someone with a handgun to know how to shoot the damn thing with a minimum of accuracy.
FIFY ........

.... Actually here's how it REALLY goes ...

.... How many guns do you have in your house? None of your business!
.... Well, I have to know. Then, none. Originally Posted by LexusLover
If you've ever taken a course in Market Research, even MR 101, you would know better how the process works. Not all gun owners are paranoid. So did the process work better back in the 50s and 60s when the same process showed a much higher number of homes with handguns and gun rights advocates used the results in their favor? Now that the poll results are not liked by gun rights advocates, the methodology sucks.
Because now you trust the media, when it supports your contention, yes? Originally Posted by WombRaider
Because you don't trust the media to tell you what you want to believe.
If you've ever taken a course in Market Research, even MR 101, you would know better how the process works. Not all gun owners are paranoid. So did the process work better back in the 50s and 60s when the same process showed a much higher number of homes with handguns and gun rights advocates used the results in their favor? Now that the poll results are not liked by gun rights advocates, the methodology sucks. Originally Posted by SpeedRacerXXX

I'm curious, how did you get to the idea that gun ownership and paranoia go together. I've talked to lots of libs who thought that George W. Bush was out to get them personally and they don't own guns. Seems to me that the two things are not exclusive.
I could go through countless scenarios in which a person with a concealed handgun could be tempted to pull it and start shooting without taking into account the safety of EVERYONE, not just himself. You are, I assume, fairly skilled with a handgun. Very few probably have your level of expertise. In some states I, who have never fired a handgun in my life, can simply buy one and legally walk down a busy street with it concealed wherever one conceals it. I see a crime being committed. What are my rights to intervene? I don't know since I've never been to a class informing me of such rights. Google Fred Yazdi. I decide to fire at the bad guy. Never having fired the handgun, what are my odds of hitting him or an innocent person?

The more knowledge and practice a person has with a handgun the better for all IMHO. Originally Posted by SpeedRacerXXX
The reality of your fiction. Learning to use a handgun is not difficult. Being good at it and knowing when to use it is much more difficult. However, you have someone pointing a gun at you then you're probably in the clear. If you have something trying to carjack you then you're probably in the clear. If you decide to fire the range will very likely (according to the FBI) less than 15 feet. Here's a dirty secret to keep to yourself....most of the time (according to the FBI) if you display a weapon, show a confidence in your ability, and demonstrate a willingness to use it (whether you will or not) the criminal will run away. You'll never fire a shot. 75% of the time the criminal does not want to get into a gun fire because they don't practice either. So far I'm three for three and have never fired my weapon at someone. I guess that means the next time is for real.
So what do we know now? 3/4s of the time you will not have to fire your weapon. If you do have to fire then the range will be very close. Mister Magoo might have a problem but not a normal person. Civilians are more likely to know who the bad guy is than the police who arrive on the scene.

Like I wrote, knowing when to shoot is usually more important that how well you shoot. Better to know both though. Just think how many times the police shoot to get one or two hits.
I'm curious, how did you get to the idea that gun ownership and paranoia go together. Originally Posted by JD Barleycorn
The fact that you are a bonafide paranoid Idiot who is also a gun owner would probably be the first example.

Next question!
Hypothetical??? Not at all. As you say, it COULD happen so do you want the CCW permit holder semi-skilled or unskilled? Bottom line, whether you like my hypothetical arguments or not, I really don't think it is asking too much too much to require someone with a handgun to know how to shoot the damn thing with a minimum of accuracy. Originally Posted by SpeedRacerXXX
If and coulda mean nothing when I have reality and the reality of over 10 years of ccw holders shows ur couldas are not happening