Boxing Fans....a thread for us..

Due to public pressure, I was starting to think there was a chance Canelo/GGG would happen this fall. Canelo seemed genuinely pissed about the duck claims. However, Canelo vacated his middleweight title (stalling tactic).

http://abcnews.go.com/Sports/wireSto...fight-39215051
"I will fight GGG and I will beat GGG, but I will not be forced into the ring," Alvarez said in a statement

In other words, he's in no rush to get his ass whooped.
Due to public pressure, I was starting to think there was a chance Canelo/GGG would happen this fall. Canelo seemed genuinely pissed about the duck claims. However, Canelo vacated his middleweight title (stalling tactic).

http://abcnews.go.com/Sports/wireSto...fight-39215051 Originally Posted by htownhammer
"I will fight GGG and I will beat GGG, but I will not be forced into the ring," Alvarez said in a statement

In other words, he's in no rush to get his ass whooped. Originally Posted by Fishpie
The WBC don't fuck around

http://wbcboxing.com/wbceng/news/671...ght-status-mid Originally Posted by Fishpie
Nice! Go GGG!

Yeah, I read Alvarez's actions as "I don't want to have another loss on my record unless I'm getting paid a shitload for it."
This event has me really intrigued as it's one of the most blatant duck moves in boxing history. I've even taken into consideration that De La Hoya had a main hand in this but Canelo still has a say in whether or not he's keeping a belt. Pretty sure their best bet is to play the waiting game and hope G3 slows down in the next few years or so due to aging.
This event has me really intrigued as it's one of the most blatant duck moves in boxing history. I've even taken into consideration that De La Hoya had a main hand in this but Canelo still has a say in whether or not he's keeping a belt. Pretty sure their best bet is to play the waiting game and hope G3 slows down in the next few years or so due to aging. Originally Posted by Fishpie
Guess they're taking a play from the Mayweather playbook. It makes me happy that at least GGG is getting the recognition he deserves and now fighters have to come to him for fights rather than him going to them with hat in hand.

Speaking of Mayweather, anyone have any thoughts on if the fight vs McGregor is really going to happen? It came out today that Mayweather offered him 50 million so far for the fight.
But nobody coughed up a belt when dealing with Mayweather did they? He could've rode it out, defaulted, and blamed it on WBC r&r but nope he showed he's a bitch and that De La Hoya doesn't have much faith in him to win.

I'm not paying much mind to the Mayweather/McGregor thing.
You just knew Canelo wouldn't fight Golovkin.

Triple G comes to fight!

Anyone else think a Triple G and Mayweather fight would've been fun to see?

LMAO
But nobody coughed up a belt when dealing with Mayweather did they? He could've rode it out, defaulted, and blamed it on WBC r&r but nope he showed he's a bitch and that De La Hoya doesn't have much faith in him to win.

I'm not paying much mind to the Mayweather/McGregor thing. Originally Posted by Fishpie
I didn't start watching boxing until the very end of Mayweather's career so I don't know when he got all the belts and history behind all that.

I think that being said, because of the fighting style differences, I think people fear Golovkin more than they feared Mayweather. Like with Mayweather, you know he's going to dance around, give you some hugs, but has a relatively small chance of knocking you out since he's such a defensive fighter.

With GGG, you'd be going in a guy who has the highest KO % in MW history, so a loss where you got smashed like a bug looks way worse, imo.

You just knew Canelo wouldn't fight Golovkin.

Triple G comes to fight!

Anyone else think a Triple G and Mayweather fight would've been fun to see?

LMAO Originally Posted by butt_her
It would've been interesting. I think Mayweather's defense would still carry him through, but if GGG landed one good shot...
Like you, I didn't really get into boxing until the end of Mayweather's career also, but what annoyed the hell out of me is that he wouldn't really fight. Maybe if Pacquiao's shoulder would've been 100%, he would've have hit Mayweather harder and made him fight.

Triple G would beat the dog out of Floyd!

They say that Canelo is the future of boxing, but I don't really agree.
Golovkin comes to fight and he is worth the pay per view.

I didn't start watching boxing until the very end of Mayweather's career so I don't know when he got all the belts and history behind all that.

I think that being said, because of the fighting style differences, I think people fear Golovkin more than they feared Mayweather. Like with Mayweather, you know he's going to dance around, give you some hugs, but has a relatively small chance of knocking you out since he's such a defensive fighter.

With GGG, you'd be going in a guy who has the highest KO % in MW history, so a loss where you got smashed like a bug looks way worse, imo.

It would've been interesting. I think Mayweather's defense would still carry him through, but if GGG landed one good shot... Originally Posted by jbravo_123
Like you, I didn't really get into boxing until the end of Mayweather's career also, but what annoyed the hell out of me is that he wouldn't really fight. Maybe if Pacquiao's shoulder would've been 100%, he would've have hit Mayweather harder and made him fight.

Triple G would beat the dog out of Floyd!

They say that Canelo is the future of boxing, but I don't really agree.
Golovkin comes to fight and he is worth the pay per view. Originally Posted by butt_her
So while I dislike Mayweather's antics and he seems like a real POS human, I can't deny that his style is an extremely effective one within the rules of boxing. It only makes sense for me for him to continue doing what was so effective for him throughout his career and what no one has ever been able to crack. That being said, it is indeed a very boring style to watch. Fighters like GGG and even Canelo bring what fans want to see, which is exciting knockouts.

Speaking of other exciting fighters, have you seen Roman Chocolatito Gonzalez fight? He's fought on the undercard of the past two GGG fights. I would actually put him #1 right now (and he's #1 on a lot of lists) of best pound for pound fighter in the world. His punching power for his size is insane and his average punches / round is just bonkers. On top of that, he's only 28 years old, so I think he actually has a good shot (he's what, 44-0 right now?) at beating Mayweather's record.
Gayweather was/is scared of G3 because even though he's a defensive fighter that dances G3 will chase you down and zero in on you. G3 can break through defenses and that's why people run from him. You saw in the last fight how he knocked the dude down from hitting him in the shoulder.

True, Gayweather's style is boring yet effective which is why he garners the hatred. Me personally I don't like him because I don't think he should be running his mouth like he's the greatest when he intentionally goes the distance and handpicks his opponents.
Canelo had a great ko, and the way he's constantly improving I bet on him with GGG. Actually if Mayweather wasn't retired I'd like to see a rematch. Mayweather don't let anyone bear his face, but I think Canelo could give him a good round.

I'm going for Canelo to be next best thing.
Gayweather was/is scared of G3 because even though he's a defensive fighter that dances G3 will chase you down and zero in on you. G3 can break through defenses and that's why people run from him. You saw in the last fight how he knocked the dude down from hitting him in the shoulder.

True, Gayweather's style is boring yet effective which is why he garners the hatred. Me personally I don't like him because I don't think he should be running his mouth like he's the greatest when he intentionally goes the distance and handpicks his opponents. Originally Posted by Fishpie
GGG is my favorite boxer right now, but I just find it tough to see anyone in recent times beating Mayweather in his prime. Certainly though, if anyone could've done it, it would be GGG's insane power and ability to cut off the ring. And of course, props to GGG for basically being willing to fight anyone (unlike Mayweather) and just being a generally really classy guy.
Roy Jones Jr could've beat him by KO or decision. Too bad there was a slight age difference there.