Did Texas "Re-open" too Soon?

You don't need exact numbers to post approximate values. They still argue past numbers from earlier pandemics. I told you where the numbers I used came from. If you don't like them then don't use them.
For now, the numbers posted in reputable sources are good enough to use in discussions. I haven't argued any points that need exact numbers.
Here is a set of data points accurate enough for me.

https://txdshs.maps.arcgis.com/apps/...01e8b9cafc8b83
Originally Posted by Munchmasterman
Ok, so you are basically confirming what I said.

Numbers are numbers and are represented and "approximated" in a variety of ways. That some choose one over another to be "good enough" to discuss usually means there is a political motivation behind it if they don't throw in the necessary caveats as to how and why they choose their "approximate" number.

Case, Infection, and crude(population) mortality rates are all valid "approximations" still at this point. And they can all be used to give wildly different perspectives and potential fear factors.

In the end, I still think regarding the OP, that the better question is whether Texas should have fully shut down in the first place, but regarding opening too soon, absolutely not when done based on hot spot monitoring.

PA is largely that same for large geographical areas. They never should have been shut down in the first place.
Very different from me but if it works, it works.

I have a good friend who is on a plant-based diet. Yuck! I'm sure it is healthier than my diet but no thank you.

Good health to everyone!! Originally Posted by SpeedRacerXXX
Plant based diets aren't all what they are cracked up to be. They work quite well for cattle, Deer, Rabbits and Squirrels but not so much for people. We are omnivores which means mankind must incorporate both plant and animal based nutrition otherwise the nervous system will eventually fail.
You need to clean your ears out.
I didn't say any of that. I posted the method used by the CDC.
Argue with them.
Originally Posted by Munchmasterman
You actually did say that. Nobody knows how many are infected and that includes the CDC. So you cannot calculate a death rate based upon it. Guessing, aka estimating, does not make it accurate and in fact, makes it totally misleading. It has become clear that the infection rate is substantially higher than previously understood, making the "infected" number grossly undershot in your math. CDC numbers have been pretty sketchy so far and it's an entirely endemic problem. They have been extremely wrong every step of the way with this bug. Others have and do argue with them. Here's one:

CDC — Influenza Deaths: Request for Correction (RFC)

US data on influenza deaths are false and misleading. The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) acknowledges a difference between flu death and flu associated death yet uses the terms interchangeably. Additionally, there are significant statistical incompatibilities between official estimates and national vital statistics data. Compounding these problems is a marketing of fear—a CDC communications strategy in which medical experts "predict dire outcomes" during flu seasons.

The CDC website states what has become commonly accepted and widely reported in the lay and scientific press: annually "about 36 000 [Americans] die from flu" (www.cdc.gov/flu/about/disease.htm) and "influenza/pneumonia" is the seventh leading cause of death in the United States (www.cdc.gov/nchs/fastats/lcod.htm). But why are flu and pneumonia bundled together? Is the relationship so strong or unique to warrant characterizing them as a single cause of death? David Rosenthal, director of Harvard University Health Services, said, "People don't necessarily die, per se, of the [flu] virus—the viraemia. What they die of is a secondary pneumonia. So many of these pneumonias are not viral pneumonias but secondary [pneumonias]."...
  • oeb11
  • 05-24-2020, 05:57 PM
All of the widely quoted "Models" have grosly overestimated wuhan virus death rate.

You quote FACTS - WYID.
The true wuhan virus case mortality rate is likely to never known - only guesstimated at best.

Unless the Orwellian hordes force every American into testing - needed or not.