Hardly Anyone At The Hospital. Where's this National Emergency?

Drove by the same hospital again an hour ago.

Less cars in the parking lot by far than any other time.
Same number of testing tents
7-8 people around the tents almost all wearing scrubs. Some masks.
One person walking to emergency room. Couldn't tell medical staff or potential patient.
Many construction workers out today. Nobody's wearing a mask and 20 yards away from the testing tents.
Practicing medicine without a license is illegal in Canada.

How about on the Great White South?
I grabbed some Wendy’s yesterday in uniontown, there was a test site in the parking lot right next to where I was sitting wolfing down my double. There were a couple cops, but not one civilian car drove up in the 20 minutes or so I was there.
Practicing medicine without a license is illegal in Canada. Originally Posted by HoeHummer

what are yous yousing from?
Drove by the same hospital again an hour ago.

Parking lot is as barren as I've ever seen it: 10-15% full. They still have the same number of tents. One person in scrubs sitting, maybe 2-3 people milling around the tents; maybe testers? Don't see anyone getting tested.

Some construction. Gorgeous day to work outside but see only a handful of workers.
Gee, who’da ever thunk it was a ridiculous overreaction.
I hear they are laying off nurses here in Texas - not enough to do since they are waiting for "the surge".
Gee, who’da ever thunk it was a ridiculous overreaction. Originally Posted by Jacuzzme
How many dead in Pittsburgh?
It’s funny people who say it’s nothing and point to what’s happening here as though Louisiana and New York and Detroit aren’t happening. We are doing the right things and the infection isn’t spreading but it could have been just like New York. It can still happen if the restrictions are released too soon.
Nobody is denying what's happening in those areas. The question were are asking is "Why?"

Other than the number of deaths, what makes you think it's not happening here? Since folks can be asymptomatic the disease could already be widespread here in TX. Since we haven't done widespread testing or baseline testing in TX who is to say at this point. The populace here could simply be younger and/or hardier.

We've lost sight of what we were supposedly doing: buying more time for the medical community not to collapse. It hasn't collapse at any state, at any location. NY is re-allocating ventilators to other locations. Some company's seem to have a quick and accurate test that they can churn out now.

We need to change strategy. My issue is it seems that the local, state and federal leaders/strategizers seem to be making it up as they go along. They are still acting like the models that projected 1.2 million US deaths are accurate. Now the buzzphrase is "data driven" but I'm not seeing a breakdown in the data.
Nobody is denying what's happening in those areas. The question were are asking is "Why?"

Other than the number of deaths, what makes you think it's not happening here? Since folks can be asymptomatic the disease could already be widespread here in TX. Since we haven't done widespread testing or baseline testing in TX who is to say at this point. The populace here could simply be younger and/or hardier.

We've lost sight of what we were supposedly doing: buying more time for the medical community not to collapse. It hasn't collapse at any state, at any location. NY is re-allocating ventilators to other locations. Some company's seem to have a quick and accurate test that they can churn out now.

We need to change strategy. My issue is it seems that the local, state and federal leaders/strategizers seem to be making it up as they go along. They are still acting like the models that projected 1.2 million US deaths are accurate. Now the buzzphrase is "data driven" but I'm not seeing a breakdown in the data. Originally Posted by gnadfly
You're changing your tune fast aren't you?

You first maintained that Texas had flattened the curve over THREE weeks ago and yet it is still going up. Not as fast as NY, but that is a high bar to meet.

You were a naysayer from the start that the extraordinary measures the USA was taking were UNNECESSARY and we were OVERREACTING. Now the measures appear to be working at flatting the curve in NYC and a few other places.

And, as has been stated before, people like you are going to use the success of those measures as evidence that they were never needed in the first place. Fuck you. We remember what you wrote.

You weren't concerned that state and local authorities were making it up as they were going along. You opposed everything that was being done, right from the beginning. You wanted to the problem to be ignored.
  • Tiny
  • 04-15-2020, 09:05 PM
We've lost sight of what we were supposedly doing: buying more time for the medical community not to collapse. It hasn't collapse at any state, at any location. NY is re-allocating ventilators to other locations. Some company's seem to have a quick and accurate test that they can churn out now. Originally Posted by gnadfly
We should be buying time to implement testing and tracing and get masks. But we're not doing a good job of it.

We need to change strategy. My issue is it seems that the local, state and federal leaders/strategizers seem to be making it up as they go along. They are still acting like the models that projected 1.2 million US deaths are accurate. Now the buzzphrase is "data driven" but I'm not seeing a breakdown in the data. Originally Posted by gnadfly
How do we know the projected 1.2 million U.S. deaths without social distancing was wrong? OK, I'll admit that's probably high, but if people were doing absolutely nothing it's easy to get to a 500,000+ number.
people like you are going to use the success of those measures as evidence that they were never needed in the first place. Fuck you. We remember what you wrote.

You weren't concerned that state and local authorities were making it up as they were going along. You opposed everything that was being done, right from the beginning. You wanted to the problem to be ignored. Originally Posted by Revenant
You're changing your tune fast aren't you?

You first maintained that Texas had flattened the curve over THREE weeks ago and yet it is still going up. Not as fast as NY, but that is a high bar to meet.

You were a naysayer from the start that the extraordinary measures the USA was taking were UNNECESSARY and we were OVERREACTING. Now the measures appear to be working at flatting the curve in NYC and a few other places.

And, as has been stated before, people like you are going to use the success of those measures as evidence that they were never needed in the first place. Fuck you. We remember what you wrote.

You weren't concerned that state and local authorities were making it up as they were going along. You opposed everything that was being done, right from the beginning. You wanted to the problem to be ignored. Originally Posted by Revenant
No, I'm not. You don't remember correctly nor understand, Irrelevant.

It's always been about deaths since people can have it and be asymptomatic.

The issue was whether the disease was growing at an exponential rate. From a death standpoint, it wasn't. Friendly Fred put the Texas death numbers up proving it. No daily increase in death in Texas represented an exponential increase. For many sample sets, the curve was flat or "flattening" or "even decreasing." The number of non-death cases are, especially at the beginning with inaccurate testing, are irrelevant like you.

"You opposed everything that was being done, right from the beginning." Hardly. Everything? I was definitely for sending the US Military hospital ship to NY. I was for building more ventilators though I thought they weren't needed in the numbers asked for.

I said "Don't Panic." Several times. We here in Texas aren't panicking. In my opinion, the people in Mexia have nothing to worry out. Stop doing things out of an "Abundance of Caution". Have a good reason for doing or not doing things that will change people's lives forever.

The model that predicted 1.2MM deaths was wildly inaccurate. The CDC death rate prediction was off a factor of about four in this country. We were shutting down the economy to keep the medical industry from collapsing. We bought that time. Time to start staging the re-opening in 95% of the country. It was time many weeks ago.

Don't Panic Irrelevant. This isn't Polio. It's not smallpox. It's not scarlet fever. You'll be OK. At this rate, as some people predicted, its generating the same numbers as the seasonal flu. Remember? We don't shut down the entire country because of the seasonal flu.

Thanks for the opportunity to correct you again Irrelevant. I was going to on other threads but friendly fred was doing exemplary work.

But maybe I'm wrong Irrelevant, you should panic. President Trump may win another term. Let's be honest, that's the nightmare scenario you and many others fear. Sad.