He's Gonna Walk...

...but Tm is still guilty of being black? Originally Posted by i'va biggen
That's up to you. I happen to disagree. Being black isn't a crime.
No, the jury found Zimmerman not guilty of murder (and manslaughter). Originally Posted by chicagoboy
Yes, he is innocent. He was not found guilty.

You apparently do not believe in the "presumption of innocence, which is sad for you.

I believe in it, because it is the law.
Right and GZ would have profiled a white boy walking in the same place.. . Originally Posted by i'va biggen
1. How do you know that he would not follow a white/brown/yellow hooded person walking next to homes in the dark?

2. Profiling is not illegal. It's called an educated assessment.
No, the jury found Zimmerman not guilty of murder (and manslaughter).
Originally Posted by chicagoboy
+1

DEFINITION FROM NOLO’S PLAIN-ENGLISH LAW DICTIONARY

The killing of one human being by the act or omission of another. The term applies to all such killings, whether criminal or not. Homicide is noncriminal in a number of situations, including deaths as the result of war and putting someone to death by the valid sentence of a court. Killing may also be legally justified or excused, as it is in cases of self-defense or when someone is killed by another person who is attempting to prevent a violent felony. Criminal homicide occurs when a person purposely, knowingly, recklessly, or with extreme negligence causes the death of another. Murder and manslaughter are examples of criminal homicide.

http://www.law.cornell.edu/wex/homicide
Yes, he is innocent. He was not found guilty.

You apparently do not believe in the "presumption of innocence, which is sad for you.

I believe in it, because it is the law. Originally Posted by LexusLover
Neither innocent or innocence appear in the verdict form, because juries are not asked to opine on a defendant's innocence. Rather, the jury opines on the defendant's guilt.

The defendant is presumed innocent unless and until the jury finds him guilty. Having to prove innocence would place the burden of proof on the defense, rather than on the prosecution.

Zimmerman Verdict Form

From the jury instructions:

George Zimmerman has entered a plea of not guilty. This means you must presume or believe George Zimmerman is innocent. The presumption stays with George Zimmerman as to each material allegation in the Information through each stage of the trial unless it has been overcome by the evidence to the exclusion of and beyond a reasonable doubt.

To overcome George Zimmerman’s presumption of innocence, the State has the burden of proving the crime with which George Zimmerman is charged was committed and George Zimmerman is the person who committed the crime.

George Zimmerman is not required to present evidence or prove anything.
1. How do you know that he would not follow a white/brown/yellow hooded person walking next to homes in the dark?

2. Profiling is not illegal. It's called an educated assessment. Originally Posted by texasjohn1965

Snick
Neither innocent or innocence appear in the verdict form, because juries are not asked to opine on a defendant's innocence. Rather, the jury opines on the defendant's guilt.

The defendant is presumed innocent unless and until the jury finds him guilty. Having to prove innocence would place the burden of proof on the defense, rather than on the prosecution.

Zimmerman Verdict Form

From the jury instructions:

George Zimmerman has entered a plea of not guilty. This means you must presume or believe George Zimmerman is innocent. The presumption stays with George Zimmerman as to each material allegation in the Information through each stage of the trial unless it has been overcome by the evidence to the exclusion of and beyond a reasonable doubt.

To overcome George Zimmerman’s presumption of innocence, the State has the burden of proving the crime with which George Zimmerman is charged was committed and George Zimmerman is the person who committed the crime.

George Zimmerman is not required to present evidence or prove anything. Originally Posted by chicagoboy
"This means you must presume or believe George Zimmerman is innocent. The presumption stays with George Zimmerman as to each material allegation in the Information through each stage of the trial unless it has been overcome by the evidence to the exclusion of and beyond a reasonable doubt."

That is the "presumption of innocence" ... and is American law.

My use of the term "homicide" was a broad term to include the criminal homicides of murder and manslaughter, as opposed to the "excusable homicide" as defined in Florida law.

So Mr. Zimmerman is innocent of murder and manslaughter. Period.

Legally, when one does not meet the burden of proof required to overcome a presumption, the presumption remains as a fact.

If you want to play "word games."
a "maglight" ... you are kidding me aren't you?

Academy or Walmart. Originally Posted by LexusLover
Those 4 D-cell Maglite flashlights ARE sold at reputable police supply outlets, LL, that's a verifiable fact. It remains for you to inform the forum as to whether or not Walmart and Academy sell such flashlights after your next visit to either of those stores.

http://www.lapolicegear.com/ma4ccefl.html

http://www.chiefsupply.com/mag-lite-...ght-black.html

http://www.copsplus.com/prodnum764.php

http://www.uscav.com/productinfo.asp...0938&tabid=548

http://www.officerstore.com/store/pr...-Long-D-Cell-/
Those 4 D-cell Maglite flashlights ARE sold at reputable police supply outlets, LL, that's a verifiable fact. It remains for you to inform the forum as to whether or not Walmart and Academy sell such flashlights after your next visit to either of those stores. Originally Posted by I B Hankering
I didn't say they weren't sold at on line stores and even some cop shops.

But it does make me wonder why police tactical equipment providers have Streamlight equipment for tactical, rechargeable use rather than those handy Maglites with disposable cells. But perhaps that is because I stayed at a Holiday Inn Express last night!

You really ought to trade in your Maglight for a Streamlight rechargeable, and if you use the recharging sleeve that plugs into the cig lighter harness with multiple plugs in it and snug it down to the console where the radio and lighting equipment control switches are located, you never have to worry about it being "charged" with fresh new D Cells in case you have to spend 4-5 hours directly traffic around the main slab accident you were dispatched to work until it is cleared ... or do you carry extra D cells on your duty belt as backups?
I didn't say they weren't sold at on line stores and even some cop shops.

But it does make me wonder why police tactical equipment providers have Streamlight equipment for tactical, rechargeable use rather than those handy Maglites with disposable cells. But perhaps that is because I stayed at a Holiday Inn Express last night!

You really ought to trade in your Maglight for a Streamlight rechargeable, and if you use the recharging sleeve that plugs into the cig lighter harness with multiple plugs in it and snug it down to the console where the radio and lighting equipment control switches are located, you never have to worry about it being "charged" with fresh new D Cells in case you have to spend 4-5 hours directly traffic around the main slab accident you were dispatched to work until it is cleared ... or do you carry extra D cells on your duty belt as backups?
Originally Posted by LexusLover
Point is, some police officers do choose to use the 4 D-cell flashlights (5 & 6 cells as well), and some police officers choose those flashlites because those flashlights can also serve as clubs when necessary. Fact: those police supply outlets wouldn't have those flashlights in stock if there wasn't a market for them.

Currently depend on a lantern using two 6 volt batteries for home use (battery life is two to three years). Gas lantern serves as back-up. Maglite with 4 D-cell batteries is carried in vehicle. Maglite employing two rechargeable AA batteries served me well in Afghanistan eleven years ago; still have it and the belt loop case for convenient, readily accessible carry.

Presently considering a pistol mounted flashlight with strobe-light capability. Reports are that the strobe effect can induce debilitating nausea in a suspect.
Point is, some police officers do choose to use the 4 D-cell flashlights (5 & 6 cells as well),

.................. wasn't a market for them. Originally Posted by I B Hankering
Yes. Not so long ago there was a deputy sheriff in Harris County, Texas, who was suspended for carrying a water gun in his holster (looked like a real pistol).

There's a market for those as well.

I hate to even ask the question, because then you will have give me a link to support your claim as to how many on duty officers actually carry Maglight disposable cell flashlights.

Have you even held a Streamlight?

Have you even held a Streamlight? Originally Posted by LexusLover
No. See amended post at: http://eccie.net/showpost.php?p=1053...&postcount=205
  • CJ7
  • 07-14-2013, 12:04 PM
So Mr. Zimmerman is innocent of murder and manslaughter. Period. Originally Posted by LexusLover
Merely LL's opinion, to which he is entitled. The jury was not asked to decide whether Zimmerman was innocent or not.

The OJ Simpson and Roger Clemens juries found those defendants "not guilty". Did the jurors regarded them as "innocent"?

I am glad to see LL has now grasped the distinction between homicide and murder (and manslaughter). He has yet to be heard from again on the supposed perjury charge against Zimmerman.
cb, are you referring to George Zimmerman or his wife? His wife is the only person who has perjury charges against her, brought by the same Special Prosecutor who drummed up unwinnable charges against her husband.