What is your definition of Energy Independence

• Tiny
  • 03-16-2022, 04:11 PM
Originally Posted by lustylad
That about says it all.

You've got Stockholm Syndrome WTF. Fortunately Harold Hamm, Joe Manchin and others are working tirelessly on your behalf, so that Biden and the Progressives won't be able to kneecap the companies you own shares in.
  • WTF
  • 03-16-2022, 06:59 PM
That about says it all.

You've got Stockholm Syndrome WTF. Fortunately Harold Hamm, Joe Manchin and others are working tirelessly on your behalf, so that Biden and the Progressives won't be able to kneecap the companies you own shares in. Originally Posted by Tiny
I'm the one betting good money they can't!

So how is that Stockholm syndrome?

I'm actually thinking yall are silly for worrying about the greenies. It's overproduction I'm staring at...

I'm starting to think all this potential production coming online (Iran, Venezuela...)along with Russia selling their oil on the black market is going to suppress prices.

Relax on the greenies...they could not get anything passed with Democrats in charge of both Houses. You think they are passing their agenda after Republicans take over the House?
Relax on the greenies... they could not get anything passed with Democrats in charge of both Houses. You think they are passing their agenda after Republicans take over the House? Originally Posted by WTF
They don't need to control either House to fuck up US energy security. They can impose their damaging agenda through a federal regulatory onslaught while pressuring banks and investors to withdraw funding.

Why U.S. Oil and Gas Producers Aren’t Solving the Energy Crisis

The crash of 2020 and the pressure of climate-change politics led them to reconsider their business models.

By Paul H. Tice
March 15, 2022 12:30 pm ET

On the back of Russia’s invasion of Ukraine, crude oil prices jumped above $100 a barrel, and the average cost of U.S. gasoline has surpassed $4 a gallon. Yet domestic oil production has barely budged over the past two years and remains stuck below 12 million barrels a day, 10% to 15% below the pre-pandemic high.

The total U.S. oil rig count has bounced back, but only to roughly 75% of the recent peak in March 2020. Major U.S. shale producers, particularly ones in the Permian Basin of Texas, have a break-even oil price close to $30 a barrel, so why isn’t American supply responding to price signals from the global market?

First and foremost, U.S. shale got a wake-up call about its business model in 2020. That’s when the combination of an OPEC+ oil-market-share battle and pandemic lockdowns briefly turned crude oil prices negative and decimated the energy sector, driving more than 100 North American oil and gas companies into bankruptcy by year end.

After largely giving lip service to shareholder activists following the 2014 shale crash, almost every U.S. energy company has also embraced the need for capital spending restraint and generating free cash flow rather than simply expanding production. Flat or up slightly (5% or less) is the new production growth paradigm, and living within cash flow is paramount. This fiscal discipline held through 2021 even as crude oil prices doubled and continues to hold despite a roughly $30-a-barrel price jump since the beginning of 2022.

Last year energy rebounded from the annus horribilis of 2020 and became the best-performing sector in the U.S. equity and debt markets. Energy-company management teams don’t want to rock this boat, especially given regulatory clouds looming over the industry.

Feeding into the U.S. industry’s self-imposed choke valve on aggregate oil volumes is the outlook for restricted drilling growth and market access in coming years, which is where the Biden administration’s anti-fossil-fuel policies come into play.

U.S. oil and gas producers need to extend their drilling inventories and permit runways further into the future because the Biden White House is canceling or slow-walking leases on federal lands while clawing back acreage for national monuments. The administration also is taking advantage of environmental and endangered-species statutes to curtail drilling on private land. New energy infrastructure projects—including interstate pipelines and liquefied natural gas export facilities—are subject to a global climate test, a charge for the social cost of carbon and environmental-justice standards. All this will have a chilling effect on new projects and further reinforce industry consolidation.

The main risk to the industry over the next decade is not the potential for oil and gas demand to go down because of the global energy transition away from fossil fuels. It is the high likelihood of more energy supply-chain bottlenecks created by government officials. A supply-constrained scenario would be bullish for oil prices, giving producers even more incentive to keep hydrocarbon reserves in the ground now to produce them at higher realized prices down the road. As seen by the four legally paralyzed years of the Trump administration, even if Republicans regain the White House in 2024, not much would change with regard to the inexorable march toward 2030, the year of the climate rapture set by the United Nations.

U.S. energy companies have begun to wise up to the threat that the theory of man-made climate change poses to the industry. Since the Paris Agreement’s signing in 2015, the global goal of decreasing carbon emissions has provided moral justification for an all-out regulatory assault.

The latest front is the sustainable-investment movement sweeping Wall Street, which has climate action as its top environmental, social and governance objective. U.S. and European financial regulators are pushing through mandatory reporting standards on sustainability. This is the first step toward screening and excluding politically incorrect industries such as oil and gas from investment portfolios. As the intertwined climate-change and sustainability movements gain momentum between now and 2030, the lending and capital markets are likely to become more hostile toward traditional energy.

U.S. shale companies will need to ensure their ability to self-fund from operations and run with less balance-sheet debt to reduce their dependence on financing from the banking system and institutional investors. Consequently, corporate sustainability doctrine provides another strong argument for U.S. energy companies to maintain the status quo of slow to no production growth and to continue living within cash flow over the long term.

Ironically, all the defensive measures now being taken by the U.S. shale industry make it more attractive—and sustainable—from an investment perspective. On top of production and spending discipline and stronger energy commodity prices, some shale players are merging to build critical mass, both in operating scale and financial-market capitalization.

So why aren’t American oil and gas companies producing more barrels to help tamp down oil and gasoline prices during a global market shock when domestic inflation is rampant? The answer, as with everything that revolves around climate change, is complicated.

Mr. Tice works in investment management and is an adjunct professor of finance at New York University’s Stern School of Business.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/why-ame...a-11647354744?
  • WTF
  • 03-17-2022, 12:12 PM

Ironically, all the defensive measures now being taken by the U.S. shale industry make it more attractive—and sustainable—from an investment perspective.

Mr. Tice works in investment management and is an adjunct professor of finance at New York University’s Stern School of Business.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/why-ame...a-11647354744? Originally Posted by lustylad
You should start reading articles before you post them!

You're just making my point. All this green energy nonsense has been good for the investor class in energy!

Tiny....did you see what your economic guru finally posted?
I knew you would cherry-pluck that sentence and ignore everything else in the article!

Why didn't you copy-paste this part, you dishonest simpleton?

"... the Biden White House is canceling or slow-walking leases on federal lands while clawing back acreage for national monuments. The administration also is taking advantage of environmental and endangered-species statutes to curtail drilling on private land. New energy infrastructure projects—including interstate pipelines and liquefied natural gas export facilities—are subject to a global climate test, a charge for the social cost of carbon and environmental-justice standards. All this will have a chilling effect on new projects and further reinforce industry consolidation.

The main risk to the industry over the next decade is not the potential for oil and gas demand to go down because of the global energy transition away from fossil fuels. It is the high likelihood of more energy supply-chain bottlenecks created by government officials
."

You're the moron masquerading as an investing guru, not me. The author also talked about how the "sustainable investment" movement will scare big institutional money away from oil & gas - how is that supposed to help your portfolio?

Your green energy pals are a disaster for US national security. You know it. I know it. Everyone knows it. Especially Vladimir Putin. That's why he has been funding anti-fracking activists in the US for years. But instead of being outraged and offended by this cynical, manipulative Russian collusion, you come on here and brag about how you expect to profit from the greenie-spawned suffering & deaths of thousands of Ukrainians.

Don't forget to renew your membership in the War Resisters League, you fucking hypocrite!
It is not just the leases. Try getting a permit to drill after you have a lease.

I knew you would cherry-pluck that sentence and ignore everything else in the article!

Why didn't you copy-paste this part, you dishonest simpleton?

"... the Biden White House is canceling or slow-walking leases on federal lands while clawing back acreage for national monuments. The administration also is taking advantage of environmental and endangered-species statutes to curtail drilling on private land. New energy infrastructure projects—including interstate pipelines and liquefied natural gas export facilities—are subject to a global climate test, a charge for the social cost of carbon and environmental-justice standards. All this will have a chilling effect on new projects and further reinforce industry consolidation.

The main risk to the industry over the next decade is not the potential for oil and gas demand to go down because of the global energy transition away from fossil fuels. It is the high likelihood of more energy supply-chain bottlenecks created by government officials
."

You're the moron masquerading as an investing guru, not me. The author also talked about how the "sustainable investment" movement will scare big institutional money away from oil & gas - how is that supposed to help your portfolio?

Your green energy pals are a disaster for US national security. You know it. I know it. Everyone knows it. Especially Vladimir Putin. That's why he has been funding anti-fracking activists in the US for years. But instead of being outraged and offended by this cynical, manipulative Russian collusion, you come on here and brag about how you are profiting from the suffering & deaths of thousands of Ukrainians.

Don't forget to renew your membership in the War Resisters League, you fucking hypocrite! Originally Posted by lustylad
  • Tiny
  • 03-17-2022, 03:46 PM
Tiny....did you see what your economic guru finally posted? Originally Posted by WTF
Yes I did. I read the same article and almost beat LL to the punch. I was intending to edit out the parts that didn't make my case though. LustyLad's above that, he's not a scum sucking bottom feeder in the political information wars like you and me.
  • WTF
  • 03-17-2022, 04:42 PM
Yes I did. I read the same article and almost beat LL to the punch. I was intending to edit out the parts that didn't make my case though. LustyLad's above that, he's not a scum sucking bottom feeder in the political information wars like you and me. Originally Posted by Tiny
Lol...the flip side to that and one I'd argue for is that the silly SOB doesn't know enough about the subject matter to edit out what may hurt his case!

He'd wouldn't photoshop off that canker sore on his photo next to his favorite gloryhole!
  • WTF
  • 03-17-2022, 05:01 PM

. But instead of being outraged and offended by this cynical, manipulative Russian collusion, you come on here and brag about how you expect to profit from the greenie-spawned suffering & deaths of thousands of Ukrainians.

Originally Posted by lustylad
How is this war greenie spawned?

And I would not call that cherrying picking.

I'm a God damn investor....that was the most important part of the article.

We should have regulations. We should not be polluting our water ....this isn't the 1920's.

But I can't figure out how you and Tiny keep parroting that I'm anti free trade just because I'm invested in our country's energy sector!
How is this war greenie spawned?

And I would not call that cherrying picking.

I'm a God damn investor....that was the most important part of the article.

We should have regulations. We should not be polluting our water ....this isn't the 1920's.

But I can't figure out how you and Tiny keep parroting that I'm anti free trade just because I'm invested in our country's energy sector! Originally Posted by WTF

this is you rolling down the hill into your rabbit hole

Lol... the silly SOB doesn't know enough about the subject matter to edit out what may hurt his case! Originally Posted by WTF
No need to call yourself a silly SOB again. You already admitted you know nothing about the topic of your own thread.

i do not comment on things I haven't researched. Like this moronic energy independence. Originally Posted by WTF
  • WTF
  • 03-18-2022, 07:39 AM
No need to call yourself a silly SOB again. You already admitted you know nothing about the topic of your own thread. Originally Posted by lustylad
That's all you have?

I'm no expert by any stretch of the imagination....but you "energy independence" parrots haven't a clue.

The market, not the President controls our drilling and production.