NFL and Houston Texans Superthread: Are we ready for some football?

Glad the Texans got by the Bills.

Another trap game next week in Chigago. Originally Posted by kerwil62
I wouldn't consider that one a "trap" game Kerwil...that's a BIG fucking game, especially since it's in Chi-Town

How many of you are surprised my Steelers beat the Giants....

We tried to help the Cowgirls out with a Giants loss and they still couldn't take advantage of it
  • Seedy
  • 11-05-2012, 11:15 AM
I wouldn't consider that one a "trap" game Kerwil...that's a BIG fucking game, especially since it's in Chi-Town

We tried to help the Cowgirls out with a Giants loss and they still couldn't take advantage of it Originally Posted by DickEmDown
Didn't surprise me DED, Steelers are still in the hunt. I do agree with OEW, those are some ugly ass uniforms they wore, gave me vertigo looking at them.....lmao

Originally Posted by DickEmDown
Heck yeah, huge Fucking game, Texans are a slight underdog, both teams are 7-1, probably the most stacked game of the year record wise.

Both teams only loss came to Green Bay, but against the rest of the league? 12-0 MotherFuckers.
  • Satin
  • 11-05-2012, 01:48 PM
Well, although there has been a few struggles, injuries, and minor disappointments, I don't think anyone would turn down being 7-1 after half the year is over. The Texans have done eveything they need to do to win, although it hasn't always been pretty. Hell, I rather win ugly, than lose.

It's hard to complain when you have the best record in the AFC, first place in your division, a top ranked offense and defense in many categories (I'll let Cat-Man give the exact numbers in his weekly post) & an excitement and reason to watch football in the city. With that being said, the "areas of opportunity or concern" for the back half of the year are....

1. I'm a bit concerned about our offensive line - especially the right side. Hell, even our best - Duane Brown gave up sacks and big plays Sunday.
2. Penalties and mistakes have cost us some big plays and highly contributed to our one loss against GB. The stupid penalties need to stop.
3. Our special teams still lag behind. It seemed to improve a bit lately, but even JJ ran all over them. That needs to be fixed in a hurry.
4. Our secondary is inconsistent. Sometimes they look like pro-bowlers, sometimes they look like high schoolers.
5. I'm also concerned as to how we will react to our first situation in which we actually have to play from behind and win a game in the last minutes or seconds of a game. We have been piling up big leads, but one day we will be tested.

Other than that, I have to give them an A- overall. The second half starts with Chicago this Sunday night. This is the third true test to see what we are made of. We beat a injury-riddled Ravens team and got killed against GB. I can't wait to see how we do against the Bears defense.

We tried to help the Cowgirls out with a Giants loss and they still couldn't take advantage of it Originally Posted by DickEmDown
DED I definitely agree it's a big one!

The reason why I said it's a trap game because it's in Chicago and their defense is pretty damn scary and so are their special teams. Even though they and the Texans both have equal records, the Bears have the edge with that defense and special teams. Texans just need to be ready in ALL THREE phases of the game.

I'm surprised the Steelers beat the Giants on their turf, especially getting there to the stadium the DAY OF the game!

Cowboys, they tried and could've beaten Atlanta. Unfortunately Ryan, Turner, White, and Jones wore that defense down and exposed them like hoes.
  • klutz
  • 11-05-2012, 03:14 PM
I think that we'll have to play the best football we've played all year to win that game against Chicago.

I say that assuming the Bears defense and Cutler will have an average or better game. We've seen on national tv how bad that team can suck when Cutler doesnt show up.... but then again, we've seen the same thing with the Texans in seasons past.

Agree Satin... those penalties and that special teams play has been pissing me off!

Either way... I hope it's a good game!
Not expecting to win at Chi. I bet the weather will also suck, if we lose, it won't be the end of the world.

Here is the FB chat about who the MVP should be!:
http://profootballmock.com/nfl-qbs-on-facebook-mvp/
  • Molay
  • 11-05-2012, 03:52 PM

Here is the FB chat about who the MVP should be!:
http://profootballmock.com/nfl-qbs-on-facebook-mvp/ Originally Posted by TheDon
These are fn hilarious. Thanks!
Well, although there has been a few struggles, injuries, and minor disappointments, I don't think anyone would turn down being 7-1 after half the year is over. The Texans have done eveything they need to do to win, although it hasn't always been pretty. Hell, I rather win ugly, than lose.

It's hard to complain when you have the best record in the AFC, first place in your division, a top ranked offense and defense in many categories (I'll let Cat-Man give the exact numbers in his weekly post) & an excitement and reason to watch football in the city. With that being said, the "areas of opportunity or concern" for the back half of the year are....

1. I'm a bit concerned about our offensive line - especially the right side. Hell, even our best - Duane Brown gave up sacks and big plays Sunday.
2. Penalties and mistakes have cost us some big plays and highly contributed to our one loss against GB. The stupid penalties need to stop.
3. Our special teams still lag behind. It seemed to improve a bit lately, but even JJ ran all over them. That needs to be fixed in a hurry.
4. Our secondary is inconsistent. Sometimes they look like pro-bowlers, sometimes they look like high schoolers.
5. I'm also concerned as to how we will react to our first situation in which we actually have to play from behind and win a game in the last minutes or seconds of a game. We have been piling up big leads, but one day we will be tested.

Other than that, I have to give them an A- overall. The second half starts with Chicago this Sunday night. This is the third true test to see what we are made of. We beat a injury-riddled Ravens team and got killed against GB. I can't wait to see how we do against the Bears defense. Originally Posted by Satin
1. I had the same thoughts watching the O-line yesterday, Bills got owned at their place by CJ a few weeks ago, and we weren't that great against them, but I think the pass blocking has gotten better, on the right side in particular, run blocking still needs some work.

2. Fortunately, we haven't had too many penalties to cost us anything too big. I think with all the great WRs in the league now, it's just tough for the secondary players, as long as JJ and KJ tackle and prevent guys going into the endszone, that is good enough. But the fouls on offense, holding mainly, that shit just kills us cause we can't climb out of 1st and longs.

3. They have been shit, Martin has been an upgrade, but I'm for sure concerned, might even need a new coach there. The main thing is that our starting field position has been shitty all year, and with a D as good as ours, that should not be happening..

4. Like I said earlier, it's tough for them, we are actually top 5 in pass D which is great, but as long as we hold opponents to 3 in the redzone, we should be good. Plus, JJ has been injured (reportedly) the past few weeks, so I give him a pass..

5. This will be important in our first Playoff game...but if you look at our conference, only NE seems to have a great offense, I would be more concerned if we had to go against a Giants or Packers offense, luckily we don't.

But yeah, I think we are all happy where Houston is at, we just need our guys healthy, including Foster, he's on pace for setting the record for most carries in a season, but as much as we needed to limit his carries, we probably wouldn't be able to pull out some of the games we have, we need Tate back...Forsett is too finesse, we need a power guy back there.
Great job on Texan/Bears analysis Satin. I think we should look at the Two Quarterbacks in the chicago game,and that's what's gonna decide it. Chicago gets so many turnovers on defense,plus they SCORE,and if you really pay attention to bears,they really don't have shit on offense.It's all smoke and mirror's,and it's gonna show up when they make the playoff's. If Dopey Play's safe,and manage's the game,Texans should win by four.Green bay completely DOMINATED the bears,and Roger's was hotter than ESPARANZA GOMEZ(google her,she's the baddest bitch on this planet),and Texans did ok,since packer's back's were against the wall. TEXANS:19-BEARS:16.....if They don't turn ball over. Cutler is good for two int's and a fumble,against a defense like the texans..even on the road.....
If you haven't seen it:

One huge key to this game will be the special teams play of both teams. The bears have arguably the best returner of all time versus a punt and kick coverage unit that has been less than stellar for most of the year, a big return or two by chicago could flip field position or end up in 6.

On offense, texans can get their yards against the bears D, where the bears excel is turnovers, they're +16 on margin and have scored as many Tds on defense as they've given up all year on defense. Ability to protect the ball and grind the clock and don't take any chances with the ball are gonna be the keys to winning.

That being said Vegas seems to agree the teams are almost mirror images of one another since the line opened with the bears favored by 1.5 (neutral field texans would be favored).
I guess i should not be surprised that you Texan fans are nit-picking a stellar first half of the season. That happens when you have never won shit!!!! Toss out the over-analysis and revel in the first half success and then go into Chicago and kick their monkey asses!!!

LMAO>>>>>>>yes I know this is coming from a very downtrodden COWDOYS fan!!!
No really......good analysis guys, but really there is no major adjustments needed. Stay healthy, make adjustments during games and after half time and ride your horse on to the promise land. Keep Dopey healthy, fix the nagging injuries and keep letting your defense bring home the bacon!
Work on team chemistry so when adversity hits, the team will be tighter than ticks on a dog!!!

Great first half TEXANS!!!!!
Guys, a screen-cap of Tebow's email just got leaked!:

Originally Posted by TheDon
That shit is FUCKIN' hilarious