NFL and Houston Texans Superthread: Are we ready for some football?

• klutz
  • 04-26-2013, 01:27 PM
Agreed... Vikings do need to get busy... AP will not last forever.... now or never.... at least with AP
No one wants to mention how my Vikes absolutely plundered the first round? Don't hate bitches!!

By the way DeD Jarvis falling to 17 is just disgusting! There's your next Greg Lloyd. Dude is scary good....[sarcasm font]. bout time Pitt had a decent LB on the roster..... [sarcasm font] Originally Posted by Jusanotherdude
No one's hating on your Vikes JaD...they probably had the best 1st round overall, six more rounds to go though

As far as Jarvis falling, teams were too concerned about his 40 time & health issues rather than the game film, go figure

As soon as he ran that 4.9/40 yd dash, the Steelers GM set up a visit because he knew they might have a chance at pick #17
Talk about your over rated stats for a dude like that...... give me hid shuttle, broad jump and vert..... Oh Yeah, and most importantly his game tape... health issues scared people most of all I think... but the risk at 17 is worth the extreme rewards in potential.... same thing risk/reward wise with Minn and Floyd at 23.... but only 2 picks left for the Vikes now as a boatload went to NE for the Patterson pick. ... even if they blow this picks they killed this draft again this year!
Love the Texans but I'm a lifelong bruised Lions fan. Looking forward to "Kickalicious"
  • klutz
  • 04-26-2013, 10:03 PM
Dont know anything about the 3rd rounders but I really like the Safety we snagged up!
The safety we took is apparently a beast. Both a ball hawk and big hitter with above average instincts a critical intangible for that position.
Don't know anything about the tackle but it adds some depth and competition.
Sam Montgomery was a solid DE at LSU but has had questions about work ethic and taking games off against weak opponents. DE is pretty well locked down and he might be a little small for a 3/4 DE anyway. He will probably rotate at OLB providing depth and breathers for Brooks Reed and Mercilus along with Braman. Out of all the defensive players on the field the OLBs need continuous rotation in order to be effective. Those guys are running 40 yard dashes nearly every play. You really need four guys capable of being starters at that position.
Interesting draft....
Draft Grades...I know it really takes a couple of years to evaluate any draft, but theses are always interesting
WOW! What a great draft. All the need positions filled, and not just by warm bodies, they got some good solid players at each step.

Also picked up a shitload of undrafted guys who I say play in college I bet two or three of them make the team and another one or two are on the practice squad.

I am amped for Hopkins, but also the safety Swearinger, he has Ed Reed to tutor him.

Got to be excited.
Dont know anything about the 3rd rounders but I really like the Safety we snagged up! Originally Posted by klutz
I like the pick too and wonder why we spent so much on Ed Reed. Is it a FS/SS thing? Ed Reed is a helluva player and HOF worthy but are we going to get three years out of this guy? 2 years?

Draft Grades...I know it really takes a couple of years to evaluate any draft, but theses are always interesting Originally Posted by DickEmDown
Agreed. I wish the talking heads would do a three year look back on each team especially on Day 3 of the draft. You keep hearing about the same "upside", "slide rationale", "value" etc about each pick - it gets monotonous. I'd like to hear about the draft track record of each GM.

I still don't believe Jerry trading down to pick a center in the first round that would have gone in the 3rd round.
I watch a ton of college ball, and I don't know most of the guys we drafted. It's easy to draft players for positions we need, but whether or not the guy is the right fit is another story, hopefully they picked the right guys.

And yeah, I'm expecting 2 years out of Ed, I'm sure he will miss at least a third of the games because of injury, so I like the safety pick.
I really liked our first two picks. As for the rest of the draft, we did a good job of filling needs but it remains to be seen how much long-term production we will get from the players selected in rounds 3-6.

I know this might surprise some but I was hoping the Texans would use one of the third round picks on a quarterback, if for no other reason than to serve as an understudy for the next couple of years and then possibly take over after that. Obviously, I have never been enamored with TJ as our back up qb. Perhaps Rick and Kubes will fill that spot next year!

As for the rest of the draft, the Texans braintrust certainly filled need positions. Hopefully these young guys will step up and be productive Texans players for years to come.
Welcome Back Bigtex.

I also liked our draft as we seemed to add some badasses on defense. The Sweraringen guy looks like a true badass, I also like Sam Montgomery from LSU and the UConn LB. Other picks were to fill needs and may be good as well. Newton doesn't seem to be too hard to replace.

It's time for me to talk out of both sides of my mouth now - They didn't take a QB because they like TJ. TJ's shortcoming seems to be his problem with turnovers, that is the one thing Kubes won't tolerate. This has probably hurt Dopey as he is now too conservative most of the time. I was at a training camp practice a long time ago when TJ was a rookie and Wade was out on the practice field jiggling everywhichway with his big titties, they hollered over at TJ to get over to the main field and take over for Schaub. It was apparent the coaches liked the kid and thought highly of him. I like TJ because he has a skill set that Schaub lacks,

1. He can throw deep, Dopey can't.
2. He is very mobile and can scramble out of the pocket, Dopey Can't
3. Stroger overall arm for the zip on the slants
4. Better pocket awareness, this is only because almost everybody has better pocket awareness than Dopes.

Now Keep in mind our great coaching staff is the same one who kept Arian Foster on the Bench for almost 2 years before being forced to give him a chance due to injuries to other RB's. Lord help us if nutless Kubes wasn't forced into this situation. Who were the great RB's that kept Foster on the pine? Somebody help me research this I know it will be amusing.

I do back Schaub and hope he has a great year but I grow tired of seeing the same old shit from these dumbfuck coaches. It's Super Bowl or Bust this year baby!!!

Go Texans and Where the fuck is Satin???
Hope the Texans do well too obviously, but if there were ever a year to just tank a bunch of games, this up coming season would be the time. Johnny Football is probably coming out next year, I think he'd be worth it.

But there are not that many teams in our conference that are great, so we're going to have a really good shot at getting to the superbowl again.

I think the Jags got pretty good players from the draft, it's a good thing they have Gabbert though...
You mean an average coaching staff keep calling the same plays that whole staff will be gone