Best BBQ in Austin area

Smokey J's
7008 Ranch Road 620 N, Austin, TX 78726
Is there still anything in Coupland, TX? I understand it used to be a big deal BBQ, but haven't heard anything in a while.
If you've got an hour, drive up to Schoepf's in Belton. Cooper's in New Braunfels is a damned good "second store," too.

Locally? I was a big fan of Ben's Longbranch BBQ but it's gone now. Iron Works still smokes a mean beef rib and, well, nothing's nearly as good as my own!
I grew up in Coupland and there is some very good bbq out there and in Taylor!!! I havent been out that way in sometime, I need to being a country girl I miss it out there!
never mind. misposted.
Brisket: Go to Lockhart-Kreitz's.
Ribs: County Line.
Sausage: I know you won't believe this, but Ruby's.
Chicken and turkey: Salt Lick.
Beans, bread and slaw: Salt Lick

IMHO. Austin native. Hard to judge. Lot's of good places over in east A-town as well.
I like Salt Lick in Driftwood. Go to Mandola Estate Winery next door first and pick up a good bottle of wine and then go for ribs
Opies in Spicewood, Louie Muellers in Taylor are two great ones IMHO
I've never tried Mann's. County Line is pretty commercial BBQ, and honestly, if I was going to eat commercial BBQ, Rudy's extra moist is ok.

If you don't mind driving, I will also throw in for Kreuz's Market and Smitty's. If you're on the north side of Austin, it's a short 15-20 minute drive to Taylor for Louis Mueller's - they are a bit inconsistent - ranges from good to great. Cooper's in Llano is well worth the drive for their brisket and (surprisingly) 2" thick porkchops.
Go to the Salt Lick in Buda. There is also a new one in Round Rock but its not as good.
Best bbq is in Lockhart IMHO - Kreuz's Market, Smitty's, Black's
The Salt Lick in Driftwood is really good.

In Austin - Mann's, Stubb's, Ruby's (down in the UT area, not to be confused with Rudy's) and County Line are some of the better places I have tried.
Pok-E-jo's, Green Mesquite and Rudy's are pretty good to. Originally Posted by Tatonka
I pretty much agree with Tatonka's list.

Also:

- I'd put Smitty's (downtown Lockhart) a whisker ahead of Kreuz's...but both are great.

- Rudy's is barely edible except for the "moist".

- Mann's has great Texas bbq (beef) AND NC/Memphis BBQ as well (pork, stew & sides)....& great sides. (& i'm guessing is not far from that asian spa ).

- Meyers & Southside (in Elgin) for great links & good brisket. (& the chopped beef at Southside is as good as i've had)

- There's a Cooper's in New Braunfels that's as good as & will save you a trip to Llano. (But Granzin's in NB is better than Cooper's & all but a couple mentioned above....& also has great chopped beef).

- Luling City Market belongs in any conversation with the Lockhart legends.

- Someone brought me some Q from a place out in Lago Vista that brought tears to my eyes....anybody know about this place?

- I've heard good things about Franklins.....need to try it.

- Anybody try the place in Lexington? Is it worth the drive & the hype?

Durango <----thinking about a 1.6 appetizer at that Asian place & then lunch at Mann's.
Lexington...is that Snow's? Texas Monthly's BBQ round up winner?

I haven't made it out there...and I have a tough time making it out there before they run out on Saturday mornings.
You guys (and gals) are a wealth of information. Thanks for the tips!
Donn's in Oak Hill has dam good brisket. And there sides are wonderful.(like potato salad, and slaw)I like a lot of the places listed above.I'm getting hungry!!!!!!
I think Texas Rib Kings at Burnet and 183 is as good or better than Mann's.