Okay, lets really talk about the latest airliner to go down.

I will repeat what I wrote in the other thread:
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
I take the 3-4 days as more proof that the Malaysian plane is at the bottom of the Indian Ocean.

We knew exactly what route the AirAsia plane was flying. Unlike the Malaysian plane, it didn't drop below radar and fly for hours. It asked to change altitude to get above a storm and within 5 minutes it was gone.

Yet despite the fact that we knew about where it went down, it still took over 3 days to spot any debris. We only had to search a couple of hundred square miles and it still took a long time.

Now, the Malaysian airliner dropped to low altitude (below radar) and apparently flew for hours. So, it could have gone for over a thousand miles in any direction. That means that a over million square miles would have to be searched.

Also, if the Malaysian flight simply ran out of fuel while at low altitude and glided down at a shallow angle and low speed into the ocean, there is a good chance it remained mostly intact and sank. Just like the airliner that landed in the Hudson River.

And that is probably why we never found it.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If a plane hits at a shallow angle and the fuselage does not bust up, then the plane will fill with water and sink to the bottom of the ocean and take nearly all of the evidence with it.

Even if small amount of debris gets out - like insulation, a seat cushion, a piece of luggage, it is unlikely to be found because of the vast search area.

Right now, a piece of seat cushion from the Malaysian airliner could be half buried on a beach on the west coast of Africa. People could walk by it every day and ignore it as just more trash.

We don't know that debris from the Malaysian airliner hasn't been spotted. We just know that it hasn't been recognized and reported. Originally Posted by ExNYer
I have no quarrel with your answer. Hopefully, we will learn the whole story someday.
http://www.rockwellcollins.com/Servi...und/ACARS.aspx

Check this site it is for a company I retired from in 2002. The system that is in service transmit data in 22 mili Second groups to and from the airborne computer in the airplane. We experimented with sending slow scan video from the air craft at one time so we could observe what was going on it the cabin and the cockpit. That was dropped at union insistence.
Each message is capable of sending the air craft's GPS location. I would estimate the location is with in several feet. Originally Posted by tucson
Considering the massive cost of searching for the planes, and the value of the data, black box info should be sent live from any plane carrying more than 50 passengers.
Then, we would know what happened almost immediately, instead of 6 months later, and have people asking, "What difference, at this point, does it make?"
My Mother's Brother was a Navy pilot who was shot down in the Atlantic.

They never recovered his plane! RIP!
  • WTF
  • 12-31-2014, 08:33 AM
Considering the massive cost of searching for the planes, and the value of the data, black box info should be sent live from any plane carrying more than 50 passengers.
Then, we would know what happened almost immediately, instead of 6 months later, and have people asking, "What difference, at this point, does it make?" Originally Posted by Jewish Lawyer
I heard where that set up cost around 100k to install and maintain per plane.

So do you think our government should mandate that cost to all airlines?
The Atlantic? Who shot him down? The Canadians? Or are you trying to say over the Channel or maybe the North Sea? Lots of planes got shot down in those days and they spent very little time looking for them (Glenn Miller or Leslie Howard).
The Atlantic? Who shot him down? The Canadians? Or are you trying to say over the Channel or maybe the North Sea? Lots of planes got shot down in those days and they spent very little time looking for them (Glenn Miller or Leslie Howard). Originally Posted by JD Barleycorn
WTF, JD! The Nazis landed espionage agents on U.S. soil by using subs, and the Nazis had subs cruising the coast and North American rivers. The U.S. used PBYs, B-17s and B-24s to find and sink those subs, so why in the hell do you think BigTex would be fibbing about losing an uncle over the Atlantic on such a mission?

.......................... 2d Antisubmarine Squadron
JL
That would be a massive amount of data. At any one time there are many thousands of aircraft in service. All aircraft communication bays are manufactured to ARINC standards so once it is built it has wiring and racks for any data/communications used at that time. Southwest was one of the last to install ACARS because they couldn't believe how much money they would save. I must have talked to over a hundred pilots and managers before they were convinced. The constant transmission of flight data such as is stored in the black boxes is so seldom needed. Sure on the one unrecovered aircraft it would have been nice. That flight was an abnormally so we can't use that as an example. Tracking of the aircraft is some thing that is do able with existing hardware.
You certainly seem know a lot about what the Nazis had and where during WWII, IBIdiot.

That comes as a tremendous shock.

So do you think our government should mandate that cost to all airlines? Originally Posted by WTF
Hell, WTF, you and I could hire some illegals and install that shit for 10 thou per plane, tops!!
JL
That would be a massive amount of data. At any one time there are many thousands of aircraft in service. All aircraft communication bays are manufactured to ARINC standards so once it is built it has wiring and racks for any data/communications used at that time. Southwest was one of the last to install ACARS because they couldn't believe how much money they would save. I must have talked to over a hundred pilots and managers before they were convinced. The constant transmission of flight data such as is stored in the black boxes is so seldom needed. Sure on the one unrecovered aircraft it would have been nice. That flight was an abnormally so we can't use that as an example. Tracking of the aircraft is some thing that is do able with existing hardware. Originally Posted by tucson
Is it possible to transmit just location, airspeed, altitude, thrust setting, angle of attack and engine RPM's and not overwhelm the system?
With that data, you could solve 99% of crashes, couldn't you?
Even if you couldn't solve them immediately, with other clues you could figure it out eventually.

So do you think our government should mandate that cost to all airlines? Originally Posted by WTF
How much does it cost our government to look for one, and do an investigation?

Here's your answer: http://www.fas.org/irp/threat/212fin~1.html

How much does it cost NOT to do it?
Is it possible to transmit just location, airspeed, altitude, thrust setting, angle of attack and engine RPM's and not overwhelm the system? Originally Posted by Jewish Lawyer
The engine manufacturer can obtain that data (or most of it), which was discussed (and provided) in the Malaysia airline incident. The other shit can be disabled or turned off during flight, which was also discussed.....the reasoning was that the data was not needed when the aircraft was taxiing or parked.

We have tracking and telemetry for automobiles ..

.... it doesn't cost $100,000 per unit..... now does it?

The transmitting hardware is already on aircraft, the rest is software.
My Mother's Brother was a Navy pilot who was shot down in the Atlantic.

They never recovered his plane! RIP! Originally Posted by bigtex
I don't recall BushII's plane being "located" or "recovered" ... and

occasionally a WWII aircraft is discovered and recovered, but customarily in shallow (100 and less) water.....to the unfamiliar eye they look like a reef often.

Where is Emilia Earhart?
I don't recall BushII's plane being "located" or "recovered" ... and

occasionally a WWII aircraft is discovered and recovered, but customarily in shallow (100 and less) water.....to the unfamiliar eye they look like a reef often.

Where is Emilia Earhart? Originally Posted by LexusLover

http://news.discovery.com/history/us...ane-141028.htm

http://tighar.org/Projects/Earhart/A...p_by_Step.html

You certainly seem know a lot about what the Nazis had and where during WWII, IBIdiot.

That comes as a tremendous shock.
Originally Posted by Yssup Rider
It's called American history such as they teach in high school, you Mussulman-luvin, Hitler worshipping, lying, hypocritical, racist, cum-gobbling golem fucktard, HDDB, DEM, but you were probably in the boy's room fapping to a picture of your boyfriend or one of Robert Crumb's racist comic books.
[IMG] Pictures ... Originally Posted by I B Hankering
Let me repeat my question: Where is Emilia Earhart?

The "point" being ..... http://www.history.com/topics/what-h...amelia-earhart

.. 70+ years later.