Advantages of WhatsApp?

I got WhatsApp while a friend was overseas and voice/text rates were high. The great thing about it is that you can text or even talk with only a WiFi connection and not use phone minutes or text quota. Did not know it was owned by Facebook, though, and that does make me a bit nervous. I'm not chatting about anything or with anyone that I would worry about, though. And btw, so far as I know I haven't paid anything for it. Originally Posted by billw1032
Depends on what country the other party is located, some the middle east countries at least, block voice calls and only allow text. I have never paid a dime to them in well over a year now. Mine is all work related communications, but I sure wouldn't use it for ant kind of hobby biz. Too many other better choices...burner phone, period!
The app recommended to me is WeChat, not WhatsApp. I am sorry for the incorrect info.
The app recommended to me is WeChat, not WhatsApp. I am sorry for the incorrect info. Originally Posted by Billogoods
lol, well that's a big difference. Just a quick Google of this app tells me it's not secure enough to warrant being used for the hobby. I can see why it would be recommended by an AMP girl, though.
I think it's because of the language barrier. She's Chinese. And, her English is good but not very elaborate.
  • Ashi
  • 04-01-2016, 11:22 PM
How about Line or Kakao? How secure are these compared to we chat?
If you are going after the younger, lower cost end of the market, you need to get Kik. It is theoretically anonymous.
How about Line or Kakao? How secure are these compared to we chat? Originally Posted by Ashi
Line is almost exclusively for the Thai they all have it and use it daily for each other as well as relatives back home.

KaKao is for Korean. Same as above.
Both are great apps and free to call or text as long as you have a wifi connection.

They will use these apps before even texting.
  • Ashi
  • 04-02-2016, 06:21 AM
Yes, I know this since I am an AMP rat. Lol. You know, Phoenix. I use them both. I have no idea about their security levels thought vs What's app. Or Google Hangouts. Do they gatheryourinfio and sell it or use it for targeted advertising or worse? Can LE access your private texts? I like Wickr as security : encrypted and self destroying msgs but I assume it would be hard to get others to use it since it has no personalized stickies that are so popular with Asian girls.

I googled some articles in WSJ that Kakao stores mssg for only a few days. And has a secret chat room with encryption. Also the servers are in SK and there is the focus if any tracking would occur. Are these assumptions corerect? I read the Daum company apologized for security concerns and it is at the top in their concerns becausrfearofloosing subscribers ....

Japan based Line is also very popular. It has end to end encryption and secretchat but they also sold privateinfo to the govt of Tland.

Wikipedia is a good place to start comparing them.