Isn't this special

The original "Lifeline" program (from 1984) was intended to address a concern completely unrelated to cell phones. Remember, virtually no one even had one at that time.

A few decades ago, a very high percentage of poor households had no telephone service at all. Adjusted for inflation, it was very expensive at the time. Policymakers were concerned, not without justification, that a large number of lower-income Americans had little ability to call for timely help in case of a heart attack, stroke, or other health emergency.

That's not likely to be the case today.
As usual, you miss the point. It isn't government. Originally Posted by charlestudor2005
  1. You already participate in one of the following assistance programs:
    • Federal Public Housing Assistance / Section 8
    • Food Stamps
    • Low Income Home Energy Assistance Program (LIHEAP)
    • Medicaid
    • Senior citizen low-income discount plan offered by the local gas or power company
    • Supplemental Security Income (SSI)
    • Temporary Assistance for Needy Families (TANF)

This is what it takes to get one of these phones. How could the government not be involved. I don't feel that Tracphone is doing this out of the goodness of their heart. Okay maybe a little bitty bitty bit. Tracphone gives these people a phone and some minutes. I would be willing to bet that the people using this program buy a good many minutes after their 70 minutes are used.

Do I think this type of plan is useful. To an extent yes. As in Bliss' example and the elderly. But the give away is too broad in my opinion.
And you point is?????

I don't want to speak for RK, but I dare say he'll say something is dumb if it is dumb, even if it happened between 1981-1988

BTW, even your excerpt says the program was overhauled in 1996. I don't think Ronnie proclaimed "a cellphone on every doorstep!" Originally Posted by atlcomedy
I don't think cell phones were common when Reagan was in office. If I remember correctly, what ones were around back then were the size of a shoebox and were hard wired into your car.
SafeLink phones are not paid for by taxpayers or the federal government. TracFone Wireless pays for the phones and also the cost of promoting its SafeLink program to make sure that eligible consumers know about the program.

huh?

is this like the donation to the Presidential Election Campaign you can make on your tax return where it makes the most ridiculous statement Note: Checking yes will not change your tax or reduce your refund?
The original "Lifeline" program (from 1984) was intended to address a concern completely unrelated to cell phones. Remember, virtually no one even had one at that time. Originally Posted by CaptainMidnight

Do I think this type of plan is useful. To an extent yes. As in Bliss' example and the elderly. But the give away is too broad in my opinion. Originally Posted by Ansley
I don't think cell phones were common when Reagan was in office. If I remember correctly, what ones were around back then were the size of a shoebox and were hard wired into your car. Originally Posted by pjorourke
Ans, I agree. In certain medical cases, then the "saving a life" benefits certainly are meritorious of consideration.

And in today's world, given the way telecommunications has evolved, a cell phone may be a cheaper alternative than a land line to providing such medical benefit. My thought would be "No, it is not"...but I really don't know.
I don't think cell phones were common when Reagan was in office. If I remember correctly, what ones were around back then were the size of a shoebox and were hard wired into your car. Originally Posted by pjorourke
Yep. The only portables involved battery packs that weighed several pounds. In the mid '80s, a couple of manufacturers offered "briefcase phones." The batteries took up most of the space inside a typical 3" briefcase.

And as I recall, the 1980s were coming to a close by the time they got 'em down to the size of a very large brick!
  • 07-19-2010, 01:20 PM
There is much that goes on here...and elsewhere...that I don't know much about. As such, I either inquire further if it interests me, or I keep my mouth shut.

It is better to be silent and be thought a fool...than to open your mouth and remove all doubt Originally Posted by Rudyard K
Ever have to search out a public payphone when in need? Ever had zero change to use one, if, in fact, you can find one? While paraplegic on a fixed income.

Fucking elitism.

Go spend a significant amount of time in the "Hood" and see how you fare. You might even learn a thing or two.
  • 07-19-2010, 01:38 PM
70 min = bare basics, IMO.

Letting loved ones know you are alive.

Or staying on the line until paramedics arrive.
Ever have to search out a public payphone when in need? Ever had zero change to use one, if, in fact, you can find one? While paraplegic on a fixed income.

Fucking elitism.

Go spend a significant amount of time in the "Hood" and see how you fare. You might even learn a thing or two. Originally Posted by ..
You don't know jack shit about me umlaut (or whatever the fuck your name means). Other than being a paraplegic, yep I've done all of the above...and been in places and situations your arrogant ass can only imagine.

I've been lucky as a dog with two dicks too. And I'll stack up the number of folks that I see that get taken care of (with money that would otherwise be mine) against the number of folks that you take care of with your money. Any fool can be benevolent with someone else's money.

Typical loser with a capital L. When you've got nothing to offer...just throw out names.
My step-daughter is a parapelegic with two kids and a fixed income. She qualified for the phone and it is a godsend for her. Minutes are limited, so she only uses it when she really needs to. Originally Posted by Bliss
I would think a case like this was probably the original intent of the program.
  • 07-19-2010, 02:07 PM
"The preservation of a democratic civilization requires the wisdom of the serpent and the harmlessness of the dove. The children of light must be armed with the wisdom of the children harmlessness of the dove. The children of light must be armed with the wisdom of the children of darkness but remain free from their malice. They must know the power of self-interest in of darkness but remain free from their malice. They must know the power of self-interest in human society without giving it moral justification. They must have this wisdom in order that they may beguile, deflect, harness and restrain self-interest, individual and collective, for the sake of the community." they may beguile, deflect, harness and restrain self-interest, individual and collective, for the sake of the community."

LOL!
"The preservation of a democratic civilization requires the wisdom of the serpent and the harmlessness of the dove. The children of light must be armed with the wisdom of the children harmlessness of the dove. The children of light must be armed with the wisdom of the children of darkness but remain free from their malice. They must know the power of self-interest in of darkness but remain free from their malice. They must know the power of self-interest in human society without giving it moral justification. They must have this wisdom in order that they may beguile, deflect, harness and restrain self-interest, individual and collective, for the sake of the community." they may beguile, deflect, harness and restrain self-interest, individual and collective, for the sake of the community."

LOL! Originally Posted by ..

i understand the lol
Now he is Reinhold Niebuhr
  • 07-19-2010, 04:53 PM
I can just hear the bitching and moaning when the housekeeper / nanny / low wage servant can't call to tell you he / she isn't able to come wipe your kids' asses all day.

Elementary Clue #1 - Nickle and Dimed (Ehrenreich)
I can just hear the bitching and moaning when the housekeeper / nanny / low wage servant can't call to tell you he / she isn't able to come wipe your kids' asses all day. Originally Posted by ..
LOL. Sadly No. No nannys or ass wipings (except with the whiners such as yourself). But housekeepers for sure...and even provide her health insurance.

Nevertheless, spoken like an impotent who can't provide for his own. I can just hear the moaning from your children...Why can't my daddy provide for me?