Flexible Auto Inspections

I had one but they moved locations.
It's not necessarily about safety. I had a sensor go out, I changed it twice by the dealer and the light came back on. Of course the dealership is just happen to keep changing it out getting $. Not mechanically wrong or unsafe about the car. Finally went to a local mechanic who recommended someone to me.

Fixing windshield wipers, tires etc are necessary and easy. Paying $400 to replace a sensor to fix the engine light, once maybe ok. But if the dealer can't figure it out, and you don't want to spend thousands of dollars on diagnostics, you eventually find another way. Short of trading in a perfectly good running safe car.
I had a headlight that would go in and out on an old car a couple of years ago and it didn't pass inspection. It had expired, and I later got pulled over and received a citation. It was within 20 days of it expiring, so I was able to get it dismissed if I had the car inspected and pass, which I did. I think I had to pay $10 or so for court cost whatever. If it is after 20 days, I don't believe you can have it dismissed and the fine is usually over $200.

I think they are clamping down on things and not allowing tag renewal if someone has an expired inspection. I knew a guy that knew a guy that ran a gas station and would pass anybody that would pay the price, that was usually $100-$150 or so plus the cost of the inspection.

At the end of the day, it is just cheaper to fix the problem and then get your inspection. You'll spend more money on fines, etc. trying to skirt the law.
I agree, but only to a point.

Most people who have cars that won't pass, don't pass because of the e-check. Not because the car is unsafe.. but because it doesn't pass the emissions test. I used to live in Grayson county, where there was no E-check and commuted to Dallas every day. Never posed a safety hazard, just wasn't environmentally friendly. Originally Posted by GracePreston

They are also failing cars now because of too dark of window tint. The state is making them crackdown on those
I agree, but only to a point.

Most people who have cars that won't pass, don't pass because of the e-check. Not because the car is unsafe.. but because it doesn't pass the emissions test. I used to live in Grayson county, where there was no E-check and commuted to Dallas every day. Never posed a safety hazard, just wasn't environmentally friendly. Originally Posted by GracePreston
Grace, I carefully chose my words and intentionally said "a hazard to your wellbeing or mine." Pollution, especially at the levels we see in urban areas in Texas, is a serious problem and causes serious health problems, especially for those of us who are asthmatic. I understand the distinction you are making, but I would argue that it is a distinction without a significant difference.