Obama floats plan to tax cars by the mile

I vote that we give Marshall a smiley quota for the month. Once they are used up, he has to stop posting until the next month. Originally Posted by pjorourke
He'd be done for the decade
  • Doove
  • 05-06-2011, 06:15 PM
You are correct that part is missing....I linked to artcle from Drudge and did cut and paste. Originally Posted by Marshall
I linked to the same article Drudge linked to. You're lying.

....was not previously aware any was missing.......will ask though, WHO EDITS OUT A PART AND LEAVES AN OPEN SPACE THAT PERFECTLY MATCHES THE EDITED OUT PART???......duh
And who types an article and leaves a 7 line gap between one sentence and the next? Duh, is right.

.......when you cut out a piece, the cut function closes the space......so sue me,
Not necessary. Exposing you as the sort of hack you claim we liberals are is sufficient.
Actually, it does appear that this is a policy being reviewed again, so a little egg on my face. Originally Posted by Doove
I don't know why. Doove. You have been remarkably consistent. Every time I post, I expect you to make some stupid, patronizing, and mendacious reply, and you have always come through.

Don't hold your head down, Doove. Nobody here expects you to be accurate.
As I said, I think gas taxes are better, but how is this substantially different from a gas tax, other than ease of collectability? You just have the mileage on a car recorded at each annual safety inspection and have the safety inspection station collect the tax. Or do it when the car is registered. Under either the gas tax or the mileage scenario, you're paying, either roughly or exactly respectively, a charge that corresponds to the amount you drive. What's the big deal?
As I said, I think gas taxes are better, but how is this substantially different from a gas tax, other than ease of collectability? You just have the mileage on a car recorded at each annual safety inspection and have the safety inspection station collect the tax. Or do it when the car is registered. Under either the gas tax or the mileage scenario, you're paying, either roughly or exactly respectively, a charge that corresponds to the amount you drive. What's the big deal? Originally Posted by TexTushHog
I agree the issue is collectability. I'd file this under proposal under the heading of: "If we were designing a system from scratch I'd consider this...but since we aren't...I'll pass."

Conceptually, I do like it. I think mileage not gas purchased best represents one's use of our roads which is what these taxes are designed to support. The thing I didn't like about it was it was discussed as an additional tax; not a replacement for the gas tax. The last thing we need is another tax and another system

As for TTH's suggestion on collecting the tax (and I'm not taking a shot here, TTH, I'm assuming it was simply an off the cuff idea), I'm no expert on all 50 States but their inspection programs vary greatly & not all of them would support this. For example, in Georgia, vehicles are not inspected every year & I believe some vehicles are exempt altogether. Further the places doing the inspections in many cases are Mom & Pop Service Shops where this is simply a nice sideline. I sure wouldn't want them handling hundreds of thousands of dollars a month of money that isn't theirs and I worry about fraud. Finally there is a cash flow issue for some drivers having to come up with their entire annual mileage nut in one fell swoop (similar to why income taxes are withheld).
  • Doove
  • 05-07-2011, 06:14 AM
I don't know why. Doove. You have been remarkably consistent. Every time I post, I expect you to make some stupid, patronizing, and mendacious reply, and you have always come through. Originally Posted by woodyboyd
Every time you post? I've responded to you in 1, maybe 2 threads. So i have to wonder why you would accuse me of making a stupid reply "every time you post". Me thinks you're getting your identities mixed up.

Don't hold your head down, Doove. Nobody here expects you to be accurate.
I assumed Feb '09 information was the information being referred to. Simple mistake, i would think. I was wrong, and admitted as such. Why attack me in this instance rather than the guy who edits the content of his posted article for the purpose of misleading his audience, while denying doing so even after it's obvious to everyone that's exactly what he did?
Every time you post? I've responded to you in 1, maybe 2 threads. Originally Posted by Doove
Tell you what, Doove. I will look it up. If you have only responded to me in one thread, then I will agree to quit posting here. If it is more than 2, you agree to quit posting here. Do you want to take that deal?

I am not insulting you Doove. I told you that I expect from you patronizing, inaccurate, and mendacious comments and so does everyone else, and here you go again: lying about how many times you have replied to me.

Don't hold your head down. I applaud how consistent you are.
  • Doove
  • 05-07-2011, 01:16 PM
Tell you what, Doove. I will look it up. If you have only responded to me in one thread, then I will agree to quit posting here. If it is more than 2, you agree to quit posting here. Do you want to take that deal? Originally Posted by woodyboyd
Doesn't seem like a fair deal since you seem to have more than 1 identity on here.

Your conspiracy thread of the last few days, and maybe, maybe the HDH thread of several months ago. I believe i commented in that thread, but can't remember if i was responding to anything you said. And, of course, now this one. Beyond that, knock yourself out in lookin'.

I am not insulting you Doove. I told you that I expect from you patronizing, inaccurate, and mendacious comments and so does everyone else, and here you go again: lying about how many times you have replied to me.
If you're so confident that i lied about how many times i've replied to you, here's your chance. I've admitted when i was wrong, and i would have no problem doing so again. So feel free to prove it. Or maybe you're the one who's lying.

EDIT: Oh lookie here, i found another thread where i responded to you. You win!!!!! Congratulations. That brings the grand total up to about 6 or 7 of your 86 posts i've responded to. I guess that's pretty close to "every one".

I'll leave it to others to determine if those responses of mine from September and February (or in your words, every time you post) are stupid, patronizing, mendacious and inaccurate. Or, rather, any more stupid, patronizing, mendacious and inaccurate as your posts in those threads.

http://www.eccie.net/showthread.php?...oyd#post580431

http://www.eccie.net/showthread.php?...yd#post1043411
Dang. How do you keep track of all that?
I'm still looking up "mendacious"
LOL
Finally there is a cash flow issue for some drivers having to come up with their entire annual mileage nut in one fell swoop (similar to why income taxes are withheld). Originally Posted by atlcomedy
That's why it will never work.
You flying yet pig?
How about an air tax for walkers, runners, bike riders, etc. They are using up air, tax them on it. It costs a lot of money to meet the environmental standards for air quality.

Tax it back
I'm still looking up "mendacious" Originally Posted by pjorourke
It is a synonym for Republican.