As of today Feb 2 in the city of Austin.

no they can't look "through your phone". but hands free devices are so inexpensive, and easy to use, anyone getting a ticket is like thinning the herd of the lame and ignorant.. twice in the last 48 hrs, I had to take defensive actions to keep from being involved in a fender bender because some douche bag was chatting on a phone.. I like the new enforcement..
True.
Wow Im glad I saw this I will be in Austin this weekend.

Will they apply the 500 fine to out of towners without a warning?
Wow Im glad I saw this I will be in Austin this weekend.

Will they apply the 500 fine to out of towners without a warning? Originally Posted by Raquel de Milo
I seriously doubt telling an officer you're from out of town will cut you a break. Ignorance is no excuse in the eyes of the law.

However as with most moving violations I'm sure there must be ways an attractive young hooger can get herself out of a ticket provided it's a male officer.
I'm not sure it will be considered a moving violation. Are you sure of that?
So, can they look through your phone to see activity without a warrant? Originally Posted by chelseabean
I was wondering the same thing Chelsea when I saw all of the specific infractions listed. How the hell would they know what you are or aren't doing on your phone? Because as you suggest, all they can do is ask, but you are under no requirement to actually show them what you were using it for.
I'm not sure it will be considered a moving violation. Are you sure of that? Originally Posted by Whispers

Technically it probably isn't just as unfastened seat belts aren't. That detail won't make a difference when the wallet is $500 lighter.

I suppose it would make a difference in terms of whether it goes on one's driving record.

Considering insurance companies use your unrelated personal credit score as an excuse to hike prices nothing would surprise me in that regard.
I was wondering the same thing Chelsea when I saw all of the specific infractions listed. How the hell would they know what you are or aren't doing on your phone? Because as you suggest, all they can do is ask, but you are under no requirement to actually show them what you were using it for. Originally Posted by gleemonex
In the event of not knowing for sure I'm willing to bet they automatically ticket you leaving the burden of proof upon you to show otherwise in court.

All I know is I was given the heads up to not be holding the phone in the driver's seat of a moving car.