Under: Matt Mahon Explores the Sex Industry in Photo Gallery

Thanks for the link Doc. The photos told the story well..i especially like the order they were in on the online gallery. Kinda like "a day in the life of". Interesting... The truth often is.
Arabella: check your PMs.
Words of truth. No harm meant just trying to inform everyone
I loved the concept. The idea is promising. Though I do feel he focused far too much on the negatives. It is important when telling any story (be it with words or pictures) that there be conflict of course, however it seems to me there are components missing. There is the sex appeal. The drugs, the personal conflicts and identity conflicts, confidence and sadness. I wouldn't know how to describe the missing components as I am not a conceptualist. It is there though, I feel it missing as I slip through the pictures. My best guess is it is something far lighter. The happier side of the world.

My personal favorite was 12. There is a certain realism that all providers face at one time. As you see there is a shadow on her left and a reflection on her right. I see the shadow as the person we were before. The lingering innocence and defined personality that faded slightly as we took on the new experiences. "A shadow of what once was" The person in the center (the actual model/provider) looks somewhat saddened and conflicted as she appears to be looking at her reflection. Due to negative stigma's that surround this occupation and the demands to be and maintain perfection all of the time it can be daunting to catch ourselves in the mirror and not see what the world sees, even if for a fraction of a second.

I am really sorry to hear he was not completely professional about the shoot. To have so much potential and skill and ruin it with inconsistency and dishonesty is heavily disappointing.
It bums me out he was dishonest with pay, and his model fund was obviously compromised by his party favor fund.

At least, he took some good pics and the Observer wrote a fair article. Thanks for the insight, Arabella.
I loved the concept. The idea is promising. Though I do feel he focused far too much on the negatives. It is important when telling any story (be it with words or pictures) that there be conflict of course, however it seems to me there are components missing. There is the sex appeal. The drugs, the personal conflicts and identity conflicts, confidence and sadness. I wouldn't know how to describe the missing components as I am not a conceptualist. It is there though, I feel it missing as I slip through the pictures. My best guess is it is something far lighter. The happier side of the world. Originally Posted by JayceeRivers
I realized he was confined by the hotel room sessions, but I would have like to seen an 'off the clock' set - what the money is for: shopping, caring for kids, caring for partners, parents, the grind of the traveling provider: airports, taxis, layovers, ever changing hotels, etc. I realize that would take a great level of trust, but I would like to see it, nevertheless.
it bums me out that he can't defend himself against these accusations. that seems against the spirit of this community.
I've asked him to reply.
Here's the photo set: http://www.matthewmahon.com/UNDER-/-AUSTIN--/1/caption/

According to the Observer article, it was only Austin providers.

I don't know how ya'll feel about it, but I think it's awesome. Originally Posted by Doc Holliday
Thanks for the link. Very interesting.
What a fucking pig. Nothing I hate more than men that try to do something like he claimed to be doing, and then take advantage of the providers who are kind enough to open up to him. As a professional he should of never even attempted to have a session with anyone that he was taking pictures of and telling their story. How fucking hard is it to keep your dick in your pants for 30-60 minutes!!!!????!!!!

It's acts like his that make it so hard for us to trust any man who contacts us for stuff like this.

On the other hand, beware to any future providers who are contacted by this man, for he not only robbed me money of our session (saying he had to go to the atm, then his card was missing and would reimburse the sessions charge, blah blah, etc.,) but as well as abused Staff Edit during our session (not sure if this habit was pre-existing or an accumulated addiction caused by this long, experimental project where he was obviously continuously surrounding himself to these addictive substances. Originally Posted by Arabella Dolce
you people need to calm the fuck down.

no one ever said there was a "session", and you should all be a little less quick to assume that the one side you've heard is the entire story. i don't know arabella and have no beef with her, but let's just say his account of what took place includes some essential details that hers does not.
I realized he was confined by the hotel room sessions, but I would have like to seen an 'off the clock' set - what the money is for: shopping, caring for kids, caring for partners, parents, the grind of the traveling provider: airports, taxis, layovers, ever changing hotels, etc. I realize that would take a great level of trust, but I would like to see it, nevertheless. Originally Posted by Doc Holliday

I love the concept idea. Exposing the person behind the provider. The hour long struggle with the garter belt... The embarrassment as we shop for needed supplies often in bulk. I wonder how an artist would bring that side to life without losing the aspect of provider.

As for the photographer himself, yes it is one side to the story. However Staff Edit did seem to be a focal point of much of his work. I do not discount his artistic capabilities due to the possibility or probability of bad behavior. Arabella had nothing to gain and much to lose for her information offering. Therefor I am inclined to avoid an encounter with said photographer (not that he would be seeking me out or anything) I can still whole heartedly appreciate the art he created though.
It's fair to say many artists have good intentions, but lack the business discipline to properly finance their projects.

It's also fair to say many providers have been taken advantage of by men posturing their movie, music, artist credentials, only to be taken to bed and left with those promises unfulfilled.

But as you stated, we have not yet heard his account. And regardless of his actions, he did complete the project and he did get it into a gallery and provide a voice for a community who is often ignored. And, I commend that.
  • Old-T
  • 06-02-2014, 07:52 PM
you people need to calm the fuck down.

no one ever said there was a "session", and you should all be a little less quick to assume that the one side you've heard is the entire story. i don't know arabella and have no beef with her, but let's just say his account of what took place includes some essential details that hers does not. Originally Posted by john_deere
Not taking sides, but do you know his side of things? Didn't see it here.
for he not only robbed me money of our session (saying he had to go to the atm, then his card was missing and would reimburse the sessions charge, blah blah, etc.,) Originally Posted by Arabella Dolce

no one ever said there was a "session" Originally Posted by john_deere

So tell me John, were you a 4th grade or 5th grade drop out?

All those days working on the farm when you should have been in school seriously took away from your reading comprehension.