What is Google Up To?

If we are going to evolve this into a simple discussion on pricing in general, can we at least use call girls as an example and stir the pot a little bit...

Afterall, NPOA is worth.....: Originally Posted by atlcomedy
Okay, lets try it for my post:

It does (i.e., the Internet drives margins toward nill) for commodities -- products or services that are fungible. For niche products it does the reverse -- vastly expands distribution and minimal additional cost. Originally Posted by pjorourke
The gals in each city that offer a basic "fuck for a buck" tend to be very closely bunched in terms of price -- within the standards of a particular city. Same for massage parlors. In each case, the girls are very interchangeable from the customers perspective. The Internet has facilitated price discovery and online review sites such as ECCIE ensure consistency of experience (BBJ, CBJ, DATY, MSOG, etc.) which contribute to the fungible nature of the experience (e.g., any 5'6"ish thin 20 y/o brunette that does xxx, yyy, and zzz will do.) But we should note that what they have lost in pricing flexibility, they have gained in safety -- it is much safer to troll a website than it is a street corner.

Conversely, the HDH of legend and lore is a niche product. Most of these gals could not get enough business from just their local market -- their appeal is too personalized and their pricing too expensive. They need to be able to reach a broad national (maybe even international) market to achieve marketing critical mass. This category of women have been greatly helped by the Internet -- there would be much fewer (and were much fewer) of them without its marketing reach.

DG, you got the popcorn?

DG, you got the popcorn? Originally Posted by pjorourke
I do; but in a nod to the HDH market I'll be serving single malt scotch instead of beer this time.
I'm certainly happy to see DG raise the level of this discussion. I'll take 2!
Okay, lets try it for my post:

The gals in each city that offer a basic "fuck for a buck" tend to be very closely bunched in terms of price -- within the standards of a particular city. Same for massage parlors. In each case, the girls are very interchangeable from the customers perspective. The Internet has facilitated price discovery and online review sites such as ECCIE ensure consistency of experience (BBJ, CBJ, DATY, MSOG, etc.) which contribute to the fungible nature of the experience (e.g., any 5'6"ish thin 20 y/o brunette that does xxx, yyy, and zzz will do.) But we should note that what they have lost in pricing flexibility, they have gained in safety -- it is much safer to troll a website than it is a street corner.

Conversely, the HDH of legend and lore is a niche product. Most of these gals could not get enough business from just their local market -- their appeal is too personalized and their pricing too expensive. They need to be able to reach a broad national (maybe even international) market to achieve marketing critical mass. This category of women have been greatly helped by the Internet -- there would be much fewer (and were much fewer) of them without its marketing reach.

DG, you got the popcorn? Originally Posted by pjorourke
Nice work.

If we could just get JB an intern, we could get a list with ratings and everything
Maybe Becky and Ansley would like to switch off. I can't teach squirrels though.