Someone else wrote this, but I agree

The country is 83% on our own oil at this time. We could easily get that last 17% from Canada and Mexico but there is a bump in the road. We all know who that bump is.
You should know the oil will not stay in the US it will be exported. On second thought I guess you wouldn't.
The country is 83% on our own oil at this time. We could easily get that last 17% from Canada and Mexico but there is a bump in the road. We all know who that bump is. Originally Posted by JD Barleycorn
I am really surprised to read that as I thought we were importing much more than 17%. Thank you.

Old Dingus
I am really surprised to read that as I thought we were importing much more than 17%. Thank you.

Old Dingus Originally Posted by Old Dingus
Don't rely upon any Barley4Brains post as being factual

If you do, you will soon be disappointed.
The country is 83% on our own oil at this time. We could easily get that last 17% from Canada and Mexico but there is a bump in the road. We all know who that bump is. Originally Posted by JD Barleycorn
Incorrect
In 2012, about 40% of the petroleum consumed by the United States was imported from foreign countries.1 This was the lowest level since 1991.

Petroleum includes crude oil and petroleum products. Petroleum products include gasoline, diesel fuel, heating oil, jet fuel, chemical feedstocks, asphalt, biofuels (ethanol and biodiesel), and other products. In 2012, about 57% of the crude oil processed in U.S. refineries was imported. http://www.eia.gov/tools/faqs/faq.cfm?id=32&t=6

http://www.energytrendsinsider.com/2...ports-in-2011/
The problem with being at the "top of the heap" is that there are always people (both externally & internally) trying to knock you off. A good example of where we stand in the World is the support response that happened during Hurricane Katrina. With limited exceptions. The response to that natural disaster was 90% on us. However, a couple of Weeks later when an Earthquake took place in Iran (where they don't particularly like us). We were supposed to show up, start Rescuing people and hand out Tens of Millions of Dollars in relief supplies.

As far as Oil goes. Petro Chemical derived products are so ingrained into our civilization that we will never be fully rid of them. But we can decrease dependence on that resource to the point that we can support ourselves Domestically. With the increased demands coming from India and China. It wouldn't surprise me to see one or more of our middle east "Friends" invaded and taken over by one of them in the next 50 Years.

We have started taking the first "Baby Steps" toward our Energy independence with Hybrid/Electric Cars and alternative Energy. But to make this a reality there needs to be a concise National Energy development plan to completely retool the aging patchwork we now have and ensure that there is an adequate number of Power generating stations to supply the needed energy. But that would require forward thinking leadership at the National or even State level that just isn't there. And don't get me started on the state of our failing Public Education system that needs a complete 21st Century retooling if we expect to continue to compete Economically with other Countries.
I am reminded of this editorial, which was quite a phenomena back in 1973. The reference to the number of years is incorrect; it has now been 40 years.

The comments speak for themselves.

The Canadian Editorial that Applauds America-Truth!-But from 23 years ago

Summary of eRumor
This is a heart-warming and encouraging email that quotes what it says is a Canadian television broadcast by Gordon Sinclair. It is a tribute to America.
The Truth
The commentary by Gordon Sinclair is true, although people along the way have altered portions of it.

Originally written for a Toronto newspaper, it was broadcast on June 5, 1973 on CFRB radio in Toronto, Canada.

It had a big impact at the time. A recording of Sinclair reading his commentary became a best-selling record that hit Canada's top 30. Canadian broadcaster Byron MacGregor produced a version in his own voice. It was called "Americans" and became a hit record as well, rising to Canada's top 5, selling 3.5 million copies. That meant 3 gold records for MacGregor. He donated the proceeds to the American Red Cross.
Original script of Gordon Sinclair's commentary:

"The Americans" The United States dollar took another pounding on German, French and British exchanges this morning, hitting the lowest point ever known in West Germany.

It has declined there by 41% since 1971 and this Canadian thinks it is time to speak up for the Americans as the most generous and possibly the least-appreciated people in all the earth.

As long as sixty years ago, when I first started to read newspapers, I read of floods on the Yellow River and the Yangtse. Who rushed in with men and money to help?

The Americans did.

They have helped control floods on the Nile, the Amazon, the Ganges and the Niger. Today, the rich bottom land of the Misssissippi is under water and no foreign land has sent a dollar to help.

Germany, Japan and, to a lesser extent, Britain and Italy, were lifted out of the debris of war by the Americans who poured in billions of dollars and forgave other billions in debts. None of those countries is today paying even the interest on its remaining debts to the United States.

When the franc was in danger of collapsing in 1956, it was the Americans who propped it up and their reward was to be insulted and swindled on the streets of Paris. I was there. I saw it.

When distant cities are hit by earthquakes, it is the United States that hurries into help... Managua Nicaragua is one of the most recent examples. So far this spring, 59 American communities have been flattened by tornadoes. Nobody has helped. The Marshall Plan .. the Truman Policy .. all pumped billions upon billions of dollars into discouraged countries. Now, newspapers in those countries are writing about the decadent war-mongering Americans. I'd like to see one of those countries that is gloating over the erosion of the United States dollar build its own airplanes. Come on... let's hear it!

Does any other country in the world have a plane to equal the Boeing Jumbo Jet, the Lockheed Tristar or the Douglas 107? If so, why don't they fly them? Why do all international lines except Russia fly American planes? Why does no other land on earth even consider putting a man or women on the moon? You talk about Japanese technocracy and you get radios. You talk about German technocracy and you get automobiles. You talk about American technocracy and you find men on the moon, not once, but several times ... and safely home again. You talk about scandals and the Americans put theirs right in the store window for everyone to look at. Even the draft dodgers are not pursued and hounded. They are here on our streets, most of them ... unless they are breaking Canadian laws..are getting American dollars from Ma and Pa at home to spend here. When the Americans get out of this bind ... as they will... who could blame them if they said 'the hell with the rest of the world'. Let someone else buy the Israel bonds, Let someone else build or repair foreign dams or design foreign buildings that won't shake apart in earthquakes.

When the railways of France, Germany and India were breaking down through age, it was the Americans who rebuilt them. When the Pennsylvania Railroad and the New York Central went broke, nobody loaned them an old caboose. Both are still broke. I can name to you 5,000 times when the Americans raced to the help of other people in trouble. Can you name me even one time when someone else raced to the Americans in trouble?

I don't think there was outside help even during the San Francisco earthquake. Our neighbours have faced it alone and I am one Canadian who is damned tired of hearing them kicked around. They will come out of this thing with their flag high. And when they do, they are entitled to thumb their nose at the lands that are gloating over their present troubles. I hope Canada is not one of these. But there are many smug, self-righteous Canadians.

And finally, the American Red Cross was told at its 48th Annual meeting in New Orleans this morning that it was broke. This year's disasters .. with the year less than half-over… has taken it all and nobody...but nobody... has helped.

ORIGINAL SCRIPT AND AUDIO COURTESY STANDARD BROADCASTING CORPORATION LTD. (c) 1973 BY GORDON SINCLAIR

Old Dingus
I am reminded of this editorial, which was quite a phenomena back in 1973. The reference to the number of years is incorrect; it has now been 40 years.

The comments speak for themselves.

The Canadian Editorial that Applauds America-Truth!-But from 23 years ago

Summary of eRumor
This is a heart-warming and encouraging email that quotes what it says is a Canadian television broadcast by Gordon Sinclair. It is a tribute to America.
The Truth
The commentary by Gordon Sinclair is true, although people along the way have altered portions of it.

Originally written for a Toronto newspaper, it was broadcast on June 5, 1973 on CFRB radio in Toronto, Canada.

It had a big impact at the time. A recording of Sinclair reading his commentary became a best-selling record that hit Canada's top 30. Canadian broadcaster Byron MacGregor produced a version in his own voice. It was called "Americans" and became a hit record as well, rising to Canada's top 5, selling 3.5 million copies. That meant 3 gold records for MacGregor. He donated the proceeds to the American Red Cross.
Original script of Gordon Sinclair's commentary:

"The Americans" The United States dollar took another pounding on German, French and British exchanges this morning, hitting the lowest point ever known in West Germany.

It has declined there by 41% since 1971 and this Canadian thinks it is time to speak up for the Americans as the most generous and possibly the least-appreciated people in all the earth.

As long as sixty years ago, when I first started to read newspapers, I read of floods on the Yellow River and the Yangtse. Who rushed in with men and money to help?

The Americans did.

They have helped control floods on the Nile, the Amazon, the Ganges and the Niger. Today, the rich bottom land of the Misssissippi is under water and no foreign land has sent a dollar to help.

Germany, Japan and, to a lesser extent, Britain and Italy, were lifted out of the debris of war by the Americans who poured in billions of dollars and forgave other billions in debts. None of those countries is today paying even the interest on its remaining debts to the United States.

When the franc was in danger of collapsing in 1956, it was the Americans who propped it up and their reward was to be insulted and swindled on the streets of Paris. I was there. I saw it.

When distant cities are hit by earthquakes, it is the United States that hurries into help... Managua Nicaragua is one of the most recent examples. So far this spring, 59 American communities have been flattened by tornadoes. Nobody has helped. The Marshall Plan .. the Truman Policy .. all pumped billions upon billions of dollars into discouraged countries. Now, newspapers in those countries are writing about the decadent war-mongering Americans. I'd like to see one of those countries that is gloating over the erosion of the United States dollar build its own airplanes. Come on... let's hear it!

Does any other country in the world have a plane to equal the Boeing Jumbo Jet, the Lockheed Tristar or the Douglas 107? If so, why don't they fly them? Why do all international lines except Russia fly American planes? Why does no other land on earth even consider putting a man or women on the moon? You talk about Japanese technocracy and you get radios. You talk about German technocracy and you get automobiles. You talk about American technocracy and you find men on the moon, not once, but several times ... and safely home again. You talk about scandals and the Americans put theirs right in the store window for everyone to look at. Even the draft dodgers are not pursued and hounded. They are here on our streets, most of them ... unless they are breaking Canadian laws..are getting American dollars from Ma and Pa at home to spend here. When the Americans get out of this bind ... as they will... who could blame them if they said 'the hell with the rest of the world'. Let someone else buy the Israel bonds, Let someone else build or repair foreign dams or design foreign buildings that won't shake apart in earthquakes.

When the railways of France, Germany and India were breaking down through age, it was the Americans who rebuilt them. When the Pennsylvania Railroad and the New York Central went broke, nobody loaned them an old caboose. Both are still broke. I can name to you 5,000 times when the Americans raced to the help of other people in trouble. Can you name me even one time when someone else raced to the Americans in trouble?

I don't think there was outside help even during the San Francisco earthquake. Our neighbours have faced it alone and I am one Canadian who is damned tired of hearing them kicked around. They will come out of this thing with their flag high. And when they do, they are entitled to thumb their nose at the lands that are gloating over their present troubles. I hope Canada is not one of these. But there are many smug, self-righteous Canadians.

And finally, the American Red Cross was told at its 48th Annual meeting in New Orleans this morning that it was broke. This year's disasters .. with the year less than half-over… has taken it all and nobody...but nobody... has helped.

ORIGINAL SCRIPT AND AUDIO COURTESY STANDARD BROADCASTING CORPORATION LTD. (c) 1973 BY GORDON SINCLAIR

Excellent post, Old Dingus!
Thank you.

O.D.
That Editorial is unfortunately a very accurate assessment of how much of the World still views America. And I hate to say it. But we are at the point where we really need to start looking internally and start doing for ourselves again. I'm not being isolationist here, It just goes back to the old addage "You can't help someone else if your in trouble yourself." We need to be primarily focusing on rebuilding our infrastructure and dealing with Gun violance, loss of standard of living (primarily due to the export of jobs from our shores) and the other issues we have for at least the next Decade to get our house "in order" so that we can effectively start assisting others again. But that won't happen in the current Political climate.
"That editorial" was written 40 years ago. People are hurting in this country in ways that are worse than any in history except perhaps during the Great Depression (I).

I would suggest looking at the U.S.'s most strategic interests (not all, just the most) and to continue to support/protect them.

The countries that continuously piss on us should get a reduction in whatever points are assigned as positives in the analysis.

Before the bleeding hearts start going on about how other innocents will suffer, let's remember how many Americans are continuing to suffer. Not illegals, but undisputed American citizens.

Winning the hearts of the world is second to protecting our own. [Or it should be.]

Old Dingus
this was true before the self-admitted, shit-wallowing swine posted and it's true now!
this was true before the self-admitted, shit-wallowing swine posted and it's true now! Originally Posted by Yssup Rider
Yssup,

I really am curious, to whom are you referring?

Old Dingus
i was too. it's not me .. for once LOL however if you look at his sig #2 might provide a clue. but i'm sure YR will provide more elaboration as he usually does.
Yssup,

I really am curious, to whom are you referring?

IBsyndrome, the original Dipshit of the Year.

Were your ears burning or something?