Any legit CAR SALESMEN?

Thanks for all the feedback! Some questions were answered seeing I don’t know much about tx laws ,I’ve gotten a couple private messages inquiring about my specific needs/wants. Thanks guys!
You are welcome.

When you get your new ride. We all want a ride in it with you in the backseat, one of us in the back at a time, of course.
  • BLM69
  • 08-09-2018, 02:01 PM
You guys scared every one from buying a used car, best advice is to hire you a mechanic to go over everything and not just from the top of the engine as it will be detailed
BLM is right. Just dont buy a used car without an independent mechanic to inspect. Well worth it.

So much misinformation in this thread. That is NOT how FICO scores work. You dont lose 5 per pull if they are all related. That has been debunked long ago.

Stop posting misinformation.

https://www.experian.com/blogs/ask-e...r-an-car-loan/

Second, OF COURSE carmax will have a ton of complaints online. It is a simple ratio. More purchasers equals more complaints. Honda Accord and Toyota Camry have a ton of complaints. They are also some of the best selling cars the last 20 years.
Why don't you do a search first?

There are people who posted reviews of auto dealers (including CARMAX) who sent their loan application to their lenders and each one of those lenders did a hard pull and their credit score dropped for each one of those pull.

You are going to believe what Esperian says on their website?

Don't believe anything that Esperian and Equifax and Trans Union says on their websites.

Those credit reporting companies are not there to help you, they lie (remember the EQUIFAX breach affecting millions of people in the USA last year) and they are there to make money off you.

I did a search using carmax lenders pulled my credit and score dropped:

https://www.google.com/search?q=carm...hrome&ie=UTF-8

and these are just 2 of the results:

https://www.creditkarma.com/question...s-for-car-loan

https://www.creditkarma.com/question...out-my-consent

These are folks who said multiple hard pull dropped their scores the equal # of times of the hard pulls and not count as just one.
Having spent some time in the business, in all of these posts, many key things were missed:
  • The F and I person at the dealership is NOT your friend! They make their money selling you extras,and pumping the interest rate where possible. They are NOT looking out for your best interest with some ridiculous tire warranty, paint treatment, interior treatment etc, They are looking to line their pockets!
  • If you are buying from a dealer, buy from a reputable dealer. (Apples to new and used.)
  • Know how much you want to spend, and adhere to your limits.
  • Know your credit score beforehand!
  • If you can prearrange financing with your own lender, do it. Know the interest rate. Then, when the final price is negotiated, tell the dealer that you have financing already, but if they can better your rate, you may consider their lender.
  • Paying cash is great, but if you can get 0% financing, think about taking it and invest your money elsewhere.
  • Many high line marques offer certified preowned, which usually come with a good warranty. Extended warranties that you purchase can be good, and BAD. Do your research, and negotiate the price. There is a 50% mark up in most of those warranties.
  • The F and I person at the dealership is NOT your friend.
  • True Car can save you a lot of negotiating hassle, because they will have dealers already competing for your business with a price offers. https://www.truecar.com Not always the lowest price, but usually pretty darn close.
  • Take someone with you who has solid experience negotiating deals on cars. When you are prepared with knowledge, the dealer is at much less of an advantage. Also, sexist as it sounds, they still prey on women.
  • NEVER, EVER admit that you've fallen in love with a particular car. ALWAYS finds faults (objections) to the object of your desire, even though they are not true. For example, "Gee I really don't like black interiors, if only it was light gray. (You really DO want a black interior.) Gee, it sure has a lot more equipment than I want. (You love the fact that its loaded.) Use these objections to whittle down their price.
  • Mondays and end of month are truly the best times to buy, especially with new. Dealers are striving to hit volume plateaus. ( Many times, with new cars, they will take a negative profit deal to get to a plateau that's lucrative for the dealership)
  • Never fall prey to the "We can do the deal, but only today." If it's the last day of the month, that May be valid. Any other time, HELL NO.
  • With used, never buy at high book...NEVER! The internet is a powerful negotiating tool when it comes to researching selling prices/resale values. Use it.
  • If it's a new car, you can buy it on line and over the phone. Do your homework, make sure of the equipment etc. Manufacturers promotions are always on their website. And if you get to the dealer and the car isn't EXACTLY what you agreed upon, walk away. Not quite as easy with used, because the condition of the vehicle is a bit more subjective.
  • The F and I person at the dealership is NOT your friend!!! LOL
Apologies to those of you who are in the car business. Lot's of great folks out there in the business today, but still a lot of bad apples to beware of.

Hope this helps!
I used to use a car broker in Houston.

Bought dozen of cars from him over the years.

I tell him make, model, options, trim levels, color, exact price I will pay or below, and he will get me the car I want exactly to my specification and price.

Unfortunately he passed away about 10 years ago.

He was his own boss, didn't have a company or employees, and this was before internet.

Anyone like that in DFW?
I used to use a car broker in Houston.

Bought dozen of cars from him over the years.

I tell him make, model, options, trim levels, color, exact price I will pay or below, and he will get me the car I want exactly to my specification and price.

Unfortunately he passed away about 10 years ago.

He was his own boss, didn't have a company or employees, and this was before internet.

Anyone like that in DFW? Originally Posted by CG2014

Back in the day when accurate pricing knowledge was tough to get, these brokers were a solid avenue to savings. Today, the internet has largely driven them out.
Back in the day when accurate pricing knowledge was tough to get, these brokers were a solid avenue to savings. Today, the internet has largely driven them out. Originally Posted by Billy Babitt
Too bad.

He was a good guy.

I remember he got me a brand new Chrysler in 1983 for $9,300 (down from sticker price of $12,000+) with everything: automatic, power door locks, power windows, AC, AM/FM cassette radio.

Back then all those were options, not standard.

Then in 1985 he got me a Chevrolet for $11,400 (down from sticker price of $14,800+), also fully loaded with automatic, power door locks, power windows, AC, AM/FM cassette radio plus this one had leather seats, power seats, rear windows defoggers, cornering lights, and Goodyear Eagle GT 15" tires with the nice rims.

I did try to buy a Ford Taurus through him in 1986, the first year the Taurus was introduced, but he couldn't get any decent prices.

I also introduced him to my friends and co-workers who bought Ford Probe, Ford EXP (the car, not the Explorer), Chrysler Le Baron, Dodge work vans, several Mercedes, Cadillac, and some sporty looking 2 door Chevy - I think it was a Cavalier that was sported up and named Z something and it was convertible, through him.

He saved everyone money and time and hassle.
Why don't you do a search first?

There are people who posted reviews of auto dealers (including CARMAX) who sent their loan application to their lenders and each one of those lenders did a hard pull and their credit score dropped for each one of those pull.

You are going to believe what Esperian says on their website?

Don't believe anything that Esperian and Equifax and Trans Union says on their websites.

Those credit reporting companies are not there to help you, they lie (remember the EQUIFAX breach affecting millions of people in the USA last year) and they are there to make money off you.

I did a search using carmax lenders pulled my credit and score dropped:

https://www.google.com/search?q=carm...hrome&ie=UTF-8

and these are just 2 of the results:

https://www.creditkarma.com/question...s-for-car-loan

https://www.creditkarma.com/question...out-my-consent

These are folks who said multiple hard pull dropped their scores the equal # of times of the hard pulls and not count as just one. Originally Posted by CG2014
The number of people who dont understand how their score is calculated is staggering. It appears to include you as well. When you pull an ACTUAL FICO score, it counts as one. All those comments were from people with many different situations, some of which were people who were using credit karma's estimates. Some were people who were denied credit based on multiple inquiries. Here is the issue. You want to read website comment sections and take that as fact. You have zero idea as to everything else on that commenters credit report. You accept as fact anonymous commenters but put on the tinfoil hat when the Experian statement is mentioned. I can't force you to not be an ignorant moron. I can cite relevant facts and point out your very biased and obvious flaws in logic. Bottom line, you logic is very flawed.

I just bought a car. Infiniti, Volvo and Kia (who then ran it through other lenders) all pulled my credit. Counted as one to FICO. I get an update FROM FICO for every change to my credit. So I have the graph to read the changes.

Everything you chose to post was subjective. Google searches of forum posts are irrelevant.
  • Crock
  • 08-12-2018, 07:10 AM
I just bought a car. Infiniti, Volvo and Kia (who then ran it through other lenders) all pulled my credit. Counted as one to FICO. I get an update FROM FICO for every change to my credit. So I have the graph to read the changes.

Everything you chose to post was subjective. Google searches of forum posts are irrelevant. Originally Posted by Boltfan
Where do you pay Fair Isaac to send you updates? Is that a new service they offer?

In the past, Fair Isaac only sold their algorithms to credit bureaus and other finance companies. Never to consumers (although consumers could access their score through other companies). They have many different algorithms, so "FICO score" doesn't mean much. FICO Score 9 is their latest and greatest, and is likely what people are referring to when they say "FICO score."
Wow, I used to be in the car business for about 8 years, worked from sales, to asst mgr, GSM, finance director as well as GM. I can honestly say that although some of the stuffs are true from what i have heard and seen, but only really happen in the real shady dealers that "were buy here, pay here"

Things mentioned in all the replies above really rarely happen and mostly blown out of proportion , and mainly from people who actually do not understand how lending, and credit works. Most main systems can NOT run credit just from your driver's license for accurate data, and it does cost dealership $ to run it.

Carmax is shit as a whole, but every dealership runs it their own way. Just because one dealer's leadership in Fort Worth is shit doesn't mean the one in Plano is shit or the ones in other states.
  • BLM69
  • 08-12-2018, 09:40 AM
About the buy here, pay here dealers, almost every dealer does that and sells off the loan just like mortgage companies
The best advice on here is to be ready to walk away and let them know you are going back to the other dealer(s) that were a lot more close to meeting your terms. Trust me...they will be calling you very soon and you can then negotiate on the phone and don't have to waste your time in their office. It might take several calls though.
FYI...grapevine has so many dealers to choose from and I got exactly what I wanted. It was a 64 chevelle ss and it was bad ass. Oops that was a few years ago and it was my first car..Used of course. That was back in the days you could actually work on cars w/o computers
Most main systems can NOT run credit just from your driver's license for accurate data, and it does cost dealership $ to run it. Originally Posted by Zippo1000
My friend went to one of the Park Place dealerships after seeing a car on their website he was interested in.

He did not fill out anything on the website, he just went to the location the website showed the car is located at.

It was sold. The salesman checked the system and said a similar model was coming in from California next week to their other location.

My friend left his phone # and name. Nothing else. No driver's license #. No date of birth. No social security number.

I was there. I saw him do nothing but leave his phone # and name. He did not fill out any guest card. He did not take a test drive therefore he did not show his driver's license.

The dealership location he went to and the one that was going to get the other car in from California and one of their other location ran a credit check on him based on just his phone # and name.

His credit report showed 3 hard inquiry from Park Place and his credit score dropped 15 points.

So explain to me how were they able to run his credit using just his name and phone # without one or more of the required information to do so: social security #, date of birth and driver's license #?

Another friend of mine went to a Chevy dealership to buy a used suburban. He applied for financing and filled out the required forms and authorization to run his credit.

The dealership submitted his application to the lenders they use.

They ran his credit 14 times: his credit report showed 14 hard pull and his credit score got dinged by 70 points.

Both friends of mine are very smart, very financial savy, they know about credit, they checked their credit before heading to the dealership, they know what their credit scores were before the credit checks was run on them.

So to that member here who called me an ignorant moron and still insists that multiple credit checks: hard pulls from several car financing lenders are considered one hard pull and do not hurt your credit score, you are wrong.

I am speaking from experience and not just based on people who reported on the internet that it happened to them.

Plus you are also saying those people on the internet who posted the comments that it happened to them, all those 1000 of people nationwide, are all wrong and imagining things?