Bill Cosby and rape culture

Oh my god, are actually saying anything?
ARE YOU SERIOUS? Originally Posted by chelseabean
Are you unwilling to entertain opinions that do not parallel yours?

Centaur is usually one of those that gives a lot of thought to what he posts before doing so.

i understand his statements and have seen the effects the media and some special interest groups have had on certain crimes over the years where the premise of "Innocent until PROVEN guilty" has been replaced with a "We don't want to piss off some folks so until you can prove otherwise we are going to consider you guilty."

To date you have one set of charges filed I think by a person who later chose to sue and settle for money....... Nothing more than that officially.....

More Allegations........ Nothing to judge him by.

But already there are Millions of dollars in potential revenue lost for not just the accused but for others associated with now cancelled projects....

How many of those making statements will end up going away when paid off?

Whether he is guilty or not is something we may never know. For now I tend to believe in letting the system work through it.

If there was a law that stated that once a person leveled any type of charge against another relating to a criminal matter that they were never allowed to accept any monetary reward from any suit that came based on those allegations .... I wonder if we would ever see those charges made in the first place?.....
Oh my god, are actually saying anything? Originally Posted by chelseabean
A discussion entails two-way communication, not one-way communication and snarks from an OP who refuses to express her own opinion of the topic in between mocking the people attempting to answer her original query. When you want to have a conversation, let me know.
i understand his statements and have seen the effects the media and some special interest groups have had on certain crimes over the years where the premise of "Innocent until PROVEN guilty" has been replaced with a "We don't want to piss off some folks so until you can prove otherwise we are going to consider you guilty." Originally Posted by Whispers
To be sure, it goes the other way too, where some people assume that the only subject of investigation should be whoever made the accusation. I think it's symptomatic of the overall polarization of American culture. Too many vocal advocates only want one or the other side of the story examined.
  • H2O
  • 11-23-2014, 08:21 PM
So you either pay for it now or pay for it later. In his case, he's continuing to pay for it later. He never thought about It occurring during the co-dependent generation.
  • Toyz
  • 11-23-2014, 08:41 PM
WHO are the accusers...(does a single one of them have credibility?)
WHY are they waiting until now to come forward en mass?
WHAT do they expect to gain? (where can they make a buck)

I think based on the tenor of the discussions, there might be some level of guilt. However, what I simply can't get past is more than one of these girls went BACK after supposedly being raped? That kind of negates the entire premise doesn't it?
I don't know if he is a rapist and neither do you (all).

What do I think? My guess? He manipulated and pressured women, many of whom were opportunists trying to use their sexuality to their advantage, into performing various sexual acts with him. I also think that probably at least a couple times along the way and over the years, via the use of drugs not voluntarily taken, that he crossed the line into rape.
  • Loxly
  • 11-23-2014, 09:22 PM
The life of a Groupie can be a dangerous one. Many "Star Struck" people have been caught up in the Spurt of the Moment. Usually willingly, but not always. If Cosby had ever been double billed with Queen this might be a different story.
WHO are the accusers...(does a single one of them have credibility?)
WHY are they waiting until now to come forward en mass?
WHAT do they expect to gain? (where can they make a buck)

I think based on the tenor of the discussions, there might be some level of guilt. However, what I simply can't get past is more than one of these girls went BACK after supposedly being raped? That kind of negates the entire premise doesn't it? Originally Posted by Toyz

toyz, like fifteen different women. Come on.
I understand what you guys are saying, but I also understand pivoting your self between ambition and a beautiful woman. there is no good excuse for coming inb etween the two.
ANY one going on stage and performing has plenty of opportunities for sex with multiple young ladies attracted not to the man but to his popularity. At any age.

I was backstage and then to an after party after a Rodney Dangerfield performance and there were 15-20 under 25yo girls partying and willing to do whatever. He was in his 70s

Rape is not often about sex. It is about power.

Do rich, famous and powerful men commit rape? Sure. It's possible. Stories we hear about usually consist of some woman that the man pursued and was refused by being forced into something as a result of her denying him.

These stories about Cosby stretch over decades and all start to come out one after another in a span of a few weeks? The large number of girls and idea that they all would remain silent for so long just does not sit well in my mind in regards to credibility.

Anyone want to guess how many of the "accusers" have "civil suit" lawyers already?
toyz, like fifteen different women. Come on. Originally Posted by chelseabean
Then does that mean you believe it's an open-and-shut case?

I personally find it highly unlikely, but not impossible, that all of the accusers are traducing him. I also find it likely, but not certain, that at least some truely horrible opportunists would jump on the bandwagon in the hopes of a quick buck (any opportunists are horrible for taking advantage of the actual victimization other women, either by him or anyone else). But that's just my opinion and I don't and wouldn't pretend to have unassailable conclusions.
  • Toyz
  • 11-23-2014, 10:01 PM
toyz, like fifteen different women. Come on. Originally Posted by chelseabean
First off I said there probably was SOME guilt involved. But...

Did you read the accounts of them? Quick, tell me how many of them claimed actual rape?

Did you read each individual account?

I did...

Admit you are assuming guilt due to numbers. Try giving this the same level of investigation as is deserved before declaring total guilt. I too thought "guilty bastard" until I started reading some of these accusations. The times of the supposed violations. The motivations of the girls. Most are NOT rape allegations.

Just go read about it with an open mind...

Don't discount how many KEPT up relations with him "after" the alleged violations.

WHY WOULD ANY GIRL DO THAT?

Perhaps because every single one of them are getting old and have no claim to fame or fortune by any other means than their one time ties to a celebrity?
fucken old perv did it i bet !
ANY one going on stage and performing has plenty of opportunities for sex with multiple young ladies attracted not to the man but to his popularity. At any age.

I was backstage and then at an after party after a Rodney Dangerfield performance and there were 15-20 under 25yo girls partying and willing to do whatever.

Rape is not often about sex. It is about power.

Do rich, famous and powerful men commit rape? Sure. It's possible. Stories we hear about usually consist of some woman that the man pursued and was refused by being forced into something as a result of her denying him.

These stories about Cosby stretch over decades and all start to come out one after another in a span of a few weeks?

Anyone want to guess how many of the "accusers" have "civil suit" lawyers already? Originally Posted by Whispers

come one, Whispers, ,surely you know, for most of these women the time ore criminal and civil cases are long past.