I Confess...I am a HUGE PRINCE FAN!!!

Prince is very talented and you know he'd never fake playing or lip sync like all the current a holes.

When it comes to guitar players though no one played before or since like the master of the stratocaster Mr. Jimi Hendrix....except maybe Stevie Ray.
Or Clapton.
Perhaps, I should clarify. didn't mean to hijack this thread mentioning other guitarist other than Prince. Bringing up my like for him as well as a personal choice has caused the thread to get off track. Surely there have been other great guitarist and like everything else,,,,,,many things are just a personal choice or opinion and not definitive in no way.....
that being said...I love this concert footage:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LKAlC...eature=related

I have seen him (6-7) times in person.

The 1st time, I went the day of the concert and got a ticket at the door for $13.00 and sat anywhere I wanted to on the lower prom seats at the Summit.

And also he is one of the best guitarist around!! Originally Posted by DarthMaul

You aint said a thang. One of my favorite Artist.
You aint said a thang. One of my favorite Artist. Originally Posted by internet_inventor2
Right! What's to confess? Dude is the truth! And a Vikes fan to boot...... so he can't be all bad.....

JaD
dm --- im having visions of u pounding something from behind wearing those yellow leather pants w the ass window??? that prince wore on some music awards show or something ....pulled down just enough to do what you do so well...

thanks for the morning fantasy...i can always count on thoughts of maulers to get my morning started right
dm --- im having visions of u pounding something from behind wearing those yellow leather pants w the ass window??? that prince wore on some music awards show or something ....pulled down just enough to do what you do so well...

thanks for the morning fantasy...i can always count on thoughts of maulers to get my morning started right Originally Posted by deanna_bell69
Now that cracked me up! I think he is garanimals size while I am LARGE. My ass will not be hanging out of anything anytime soon.

I have mad respect for all of those guys mentioned. You can't argue with:

Jimi Hendrix - The Best Ever
Stevie Ray Vaughn
Eric Clapton
Lindsey Buckingham
Buddie Guy - Blues
Joe Walsh
Eddie Van Halen - You gotta admit
Jimmy Page
B.B. King - Blues
Stevie Vi

I am good with all of those guys BUT which one of them plays 21-27 instruments, if we are just talking musicianship? And of all of these great guitarist...which one of these guy can really sing besides Clapton???
Hands down my favorite artist.
  • Satin
  • 03-03-2012, 10:57 AM
I knew my man Jamie would chime in at some point. Biggest fan ever...what's up playa?

DM, yep that would be 27 instruments man....all done by him alone....
Anyone ever seen Kenny Wayne Shepherd. That guy can shred and is self taught.

This could turn into an argument real quick but Joe Walsh makes playing a guitar look effortless. I thinck the dude can play rhythm and lead at the same time.

A guy that took me by complete surprise with his ability with a guitar was Lindsey Buckingham. It never occurred to me that he was the one playing all those solos with Fleetwood Mac until I saw them in concert. I thought he just had an incredibly strong voice. Originally Posted by boardman
These guys are legends also. All kill on the 6-string.
I have mad respect for all of those guys mentioned. You can't argue with:

Jimi Hendrix - The Best Ever
Stevie Ray Vaughn
Eric Clapton
Lindsey Buckingham
Buddie Guy - Blues
Joe Walsh
Eddie Van Halen - You gotta admit
Jimmy Page
B.B. King - Blues
Stevie Vi

I am good with all of those guys BUT which one of them plays 21-27 instruments, if we are just talking musicianship? And of all of these great guitarist...which one of these guy can really sing besides Clapton??? Originally Posted by DarthMaul
Since we're talking just guitar players now......

These guys are beasts in the instrument as well. Hendrix and Van Halen revolutionized the way the guitar is supposed to be played, meaning millions of other guitarists copied their styles and others took it further. And DM you forgot about Carlos Santana.

There are so, so, so many other great guitarists out there, and in different genres too!

Jazz - Wes Montgomery, George Benson, Pat Martino, Pat Metheny, Kenny Burrell, Django Reinhart, Grant Green, Charlie Christian, John Mclaughlin, etc.

Fusion/Contemporary Jazz - Lee Ritenour, Larry Carlton, Russ Freeman(Rippingtons), Larry Coryell, Frank Gambale, Scott Henderson, Al DiMeola, Allan Holdsworth, John Scofield, Mike Stern, Chuck Loeb, etc......

Hard Rock/Metal - Angus Young, Ritchie Blackmore, Ace Frehley, Steve Lukather, Neal Schon, Alex Lifeson, Phil Collen(Def Leppard), Richie Sambora, Steve Howe, Slash, Steve Vai, Joe Satriani, John Petrucci, Reb Beach, etc.........

Blues - Freddie King, Johnny Winter, Alvin Lee, Albert King, Johnny Guitar Watson, Jonny Lang, Albert Collins, Robert Cray, Lucky Peterson, Derek Trucks, Rory Gallagher, Joe Bonamassa, etc.....

Funk/R&B/Rock - Vernon Reid, Eddie Hazel, Ernie Isley, Michael Hampton, Eric Gales, Dwayne(Blackbyrd) McKnight, Nile Rodgers, Roger Troutman, Mark Hicks(Slave), Jesse Johnson, etc.....

Country - Roy Clark, Chet Atkins, Glen Campbell, Albert Lee, Brent Mason, Vince Gill, etc....

And this is just scratching a very small part of the surface of all the great guitarists out there.

Back on topic. I think Prince listened mostly to Hendrix, Santana, and a few others to develop his style. To be as good as he is, he HAD to!
i have to admit, i didn't really get into prince until the dirty mind album, and since then i've been a huge fan of his and of everyone associated with him. i didn't get to see him until the purple rain tour came to houston. on another note i'm kinda bummed out that jesse decided to leave the original 7.

let
I knew my man Jamie would chime in at some point. Biggest fan ever...what's up playa?

DM, yep that would be 27 instruments man....all done by him alone.... Originally Posted by Satin
Satin, how are you my man? It has been awhile. Yeah you know I could not resist not adding a response concerning the Purple Man.
Hands down my favorite artist. Originally Posted by jamiestarr
Jamie Starr...Damn Bruh long time no see!! I knew this thread would wake your ass up.

Kerwil, I think you got them all covered. I like that you mentioned Django Rheinhart and also Wes Montgomery.

Pat Methany is also incredible!! Damn, I forgot George Benson can play and sing!???

I also remember being in the 8th grade..showing my age..and hearing "Soft and Wet" on the school bus headed to Johnston Junior High...OUCH?? All of the ladies had Prince Book Covers???
I thought he excellent with the rock: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PaKHR6oe52Q