Does Raising the Minimum Wage Increase Unemployment?

business keep taking it on the chin when it comes forced wage increases.

why don't they challenge the consitutionality of the minimum wage? Originally Posted by dilbert firestorm
FDR used the commerce clause to mandate the first minimum wage. It passed muster with the Supreme Court in 1942.
business keep taking it on the chin when it comes forced wage increases. Originally Posted by dilbert firestorm
Not to mention regulations imposed for various agendas, health care demands, and immigration paper work ..... All those regs created government jobs to monitor compliance, but don't do a damn thing to build businesses.

People that haven't owned a business, run a business, and/or assisted in either one don't have a clue .... let's start with Obaminable .... then Hillarious-No-More!....the list is endless.....John Kerry?.....Liberals on the government tit.
FDR used the commerce clause to mandate the first minimum wage. It passed muster with the Supreme Court in 1942. Originally Posted by I B Hankering
not 1942, summer of 1941. Look at the timing of this ruling.

300+ strikes in 1941.
Nazis just started operation barborossa.
FDR was also involved in secret navy war against the nazis in the atlantic.

the ruling was political.
there 2 previous rulings by the supreme court that said the miminum wage was unconstitutional. FDR had to have put a lot of pressure to get a favorable ruling.

the court ignored 2 provisions out of 4 provisions to reach that ruling.
not 1942, summer of 1941. Look at the timing of this ruling.

300+ strikes in 1941.
Nazis just started operation barborossa.
FDR was also involved in secret navy war against the nazis in the atlantic.

the ruling was political.
there 2 previous rulings by the supreme court that said the miminum wage was unconstitutional. FDR had to have put a lot of pressure to get a favorable ruling.

the court ignored 2 provisions out of 4 provisions to reach that ruling. Originally Posted by dilbert firestorm
Yes. Every thing I've read on the matter indicates that FDR's institutional attacks on the court influenced their subsequent rulings: "A switch in time saves nine."
Yep!!!!!
You don't look at statistics then. And you didn't look at or read the article I posted initially, or the links in it by the various economists. As usual, you are only interested in a little more for your own bottom line. Seventy-five economists back minimum wage hike:

http://money.cnn.com/2014/01/14/news...-minimum-wage/

http://billmoyers.com/2014/03/07/all...-fallen-apart/

If you note in the second article, "Mom and Pop" shops are actually in favor of a minimum wage increase and several already pay their employees over minimum wage.
so you raise all $8's to $15,
then 15's go to 23,
23 to 30, etc, and the cost of everything goes up,
what have you accomplished?!

It's just another "progressive" Utopian idea that doesn't work.
so you raise all $8's to $15,
then 15's go to 23,
23 to 30, etc, and the cost of everything goes up,
what have you accomplished?!

It's just another "progressive" Utopian idea that doesn't work. Originally Posted by Happyfella
Raising The Minimum Wage To $10.10 Would Boost Growth By $22 Billion

Even raising it to the above amount. See this article:

http://thinkprogress.org/economy/201...wage-gdp-jobs/

Also, see read the second article in my last post, which debunks the arguments against raising minimum wage. There's no excuse, period.

Also, see read the second article in my last post, which debunks the arguments against raising minimum wage. There's no excuse, period.
Originally Posted by SassySue

Also, see read the second article in my last post, which debunks the arguments against raising minimum wage. There's no excuse, period. Originally Posted by SassySue
it also fuels inflation when business have no where to cut leading to price hikes/increases.

I do like the ldea one business did, adding the govt. mandated minimum wage cost to the bill.

Originally Posted by I B Hankering
perfect illustration of a vicious inflationary cycle.
perfect illustration of a vicious inflationary cycle. Originally Posted by dilbert firestorm
What about your increased profits due to consumer spending because they have more to spend, or didn't you think of that?

You guys don't even read the articles I post. Cannot deny those facts. Also, less turnover of employees because they get paid more. They also work harder due to increased pay. You might take a small cut in profits, but the difference is negligible when you account for the increase in profits due to increased consumer spending.
What about your increased profits due to consumer spending because they have more to spend, or didn't you think of that?

You guys don't even read the articles I post. Cannot deny those facts. Also, less turnover of employees because they get paid more. They also work harder due to increased pay. You might take a small cut in profits, but the difference is negligible when you account for the increase in profits due to increased consumer spending.
Originally Posted by SassySue
Inflated prices wipe out gains. It's so elementary; yet, you fail to comprehend that a universal increase in the cost of labor matter-of-course increases the cost of goods. Your imaginary employee who had formerly paid $4 for a gallon of milk will be paying $5 for a gallon of milk because his stock boy wage increase caused the store to raise its prices. Yes, he is spending more money but it's because he has to to buy the same items he formerly bought with less money! It's so elementary.

They also work harder due to increased pay. Originally Posted by SassySue
Bullshit! Your analysis that someone who is settling for a minimum wage job would actually work harder is complete and utter bullshit. The "someone" who will work harder are those who have the gumption to change their job skills enough to justify a promotion or to qualify for a better paying job. Anybody who settles for a life-time minimum wage job is by definition a slacker.
If you want a raise, lower the cost of living.
If you want a raise, lower the cost of living. Originally Posted by i'va biggen
Is that how you handle it down at the stalls in the truck stop?