Google Voice

It should be no secret google mines any data it can from the users of it's free services.
I'm not a fan at all always miss calls and messages daily it never works properly
  • BLM69
  • 04-18-2022, 07:58 AM
I'm not a fan at all always miss calls and messages daily it never works properly Originally Posted by Ruby Faye
Missing calls can be a data issue, no service issue, I may miss calls at times but they always appear when I have data again, I have never missed a message. We can't expect to have data service everywhere we go
Update: I got email from Google finally. Here is what it says

We have reviewed your request and have determined that your use of Google Voice is in compliance with our Google Voice Policies. Your Google Voice service has been reinstated and will be accessible soon.
If you have any further questions, please consult the Google Voice Help Center.

This is even more confusing because I never, i think, had any violation because i don't use GV for anything other than for hobby and that still continues to be case. If they did do any kind of compliance check, they would have discovered it. So while we still dont know why it was disabled, its good to know that hobby was not the reason ...and also how strict Google is on hobby related validations :-). Hope this helps.
Google Voice is okay if limited to one phone and in a local area.

I made the mistake of taking a new phone with me out of state and trying to install Google Voice there. Big Mistake.

Google will ask for a 2 factor authentication.
Where?

To your last phone used.

Don't have your phone? No problem, select "Try another way"

The app will say it can't authenticate you and now you are locked out.

How about your Browser? Nope, same thing. Because you are on a new ISP connection that you probably have never logged in on before. This means even your hobby email might not be accessible.

There is a way to use a backup email to authenticate but Google chooses how it wants to authenticate you with no real direction. So you can't rely on that.

Since my then number was used for screening, I couldn't proceed with some agencies I had lined up. Lesson learned. Fuck Google and their shit services.

Do Not Trust Google Voice as a Reliable number you can use when needed.
Google Voice is okay if limited to one phone and in a local area.

I made the mistake of taking a new phone with me out of state and trying to install Google Voice there. Big Mistake.

Google will ask for a 2 factor authentication.
Where?

To your last phone used.

Don't have your phone? No problem, select "Try another way"

The app will say it can't authenticate you and now you are locked out.

How about your Browser? Nope, same thing. Because you are on a new ISP connection that you probably have never logged in on before. This means even your hobby email might not be accessible.

There is a way to use a backup email to authenticate but Google chooses how it wants to authenticate you with no real direction. So you can't rely on that.

Since my then number was used for screening, I couldn't proceed with some agencies I had lined up. Lesson learned. Fuck Google and their shit services.

Do Not Trust Google Voice as a Reliable number you can use when needed. Originally Posted by nookiebandit
Out of curiosity, what service do you use now?
  • BLM69
  • 04-19-2022, 01:16 PM
Google voice will only ask you to verify the number where it will be forwarded to, I used a temporary SIM that I had activated for 3 months years ago, I can still make and receive calls through a hotspot or wi-fi years later

You guys are making it too complicated, you want to mask your number but pull up in your car to the session? You can be recorded inside the incall! On the way in and out. The hobby isn't safe and if you have someone at home waiting on you, don't ever forget the risks
No need to argue about the actual facts, you have no idea why your line was shut down, but you come and report here that it's hobby related. Don't jump before looking where you're gonna land, that's your education for the day Originally Posted by BLM69

damn it. I had my google voice for 8 years. BLM sends me a message and next thing you know im getting a call from google asking me who the hell just texted me... Next thing you know im being shut down!
  • BLM69
  • 04-19-2022, 01:53 PM
damn it. I had my google voice for 8 years. BLM sends me a message and next thing you know im getting a call from google asking me who the hell just texted me... Next thing you know im being shut down! Originally Posted by cage196
Google would of shut me down years ago, my contact list is named whores, I have them by names such as Liz CIP and a their pussy or tits as a contact pic, I have about a dozen of the same style contacts and I'm good 😂

Forgot to tell you guys about a call I had on my hobby line today, I think they were surprised I picked up and the paused or passed the phone over, she says this is the Visa/MasterCard department when I cut her off and told her she had the wrong number LoL I thought they were different corporations? they slipped up in that one 😂
Bumping this months-old thread because I had a slightly different issue pop up today with GV. Tried to send a text to a lady who had PM’d me her number last week. Tried three times and it didn’t go through. I mean, it didn’t even record that I had tried to text. Just to make sure it wasn’t a block on my account I replied to another text I’d received from a different lady. No issues there.

Very weird. First time something like that has happened in my many years of using GV.
I don't use an app, I just have a separate physical device. Statements were made many years ago that your information with google is not secure. That's one advantage microsoft has touted about their outlook products, that they don't sell your info to 3rd parties. This makes sense because google is strictly in the information business. Look at google maps and their search engine and advertisements. All based on information. Microsoft generates other revenue from Xbox subscriptions, MS Office Suite, Windows, etc... Google has one of the largest market caps in the world and is capable of doing this, and they won't be held accountable by anyone. If you have an android you have to have a gmail account to use any app on your device because of the google play store. But I don't use that email address for anything.

If you are going to use an app instead of a separate phone, I think Hushed is a better option, though there is a low cost subscription fee associated with it you want decent features.
These companies have morals when it comes to low hanging fruits committing acts of eye rolling behavior, but have no problem watching a country being eaten alive by its own government.
I have been using GV for 15 years…works but no longer forwards my messages.
I figured out the problem I was experiencing was a result of the lady transposing some digits in her phone number. I assume the one I tried to text was not a working number, and GV just…does nothing when that occurs.

Oh, well, I guess I get what I pay for