Oh to be free...

I never get to go anywhere exciting.

I will live vicariously through you and humbly request only a snowglobe & a t-shirt.

I will live vicariously through you and humbly request only a snowglobe & a t-shirt. Originally Posted by Ginger Doll

Perhaps have been misinformed, but evidences thus far examined indicate wherever honorable lady goes is exciting, or becomes so most shortly.

I will live vicariously through you and humbly request only a snowglobe & a t-shirt. Originally Posted by Ginger Doll
Perhaps have been misinformed, but evidences thus far examined indicate wherever honorable lady goes is exciting, or becomes so most shortly. Originally Posted by Mr.Chan
Meaning Honorable Detective no disrespect, but you have the pleasure of spending time with the honorable lady in question. How the fsck can you be misinformed?

Now I could be misinformed, since all I know about the honorable lady in question is what I've heard from lucky... um... so-and-so's like you. However, from what I know of Honorable Gumshoe's character in multiple incarnations, I know he wouldn't lead his worthy brethren here astray.

If the stars align, maybe I too will have the honor of seeing for myself if your reports were accurate. Then again, I have no complaints whatsoever about all the lovely ladies I have been able to see lately, and Ms. Ginger is probably much better off not making my personal acquaintance (though I'd like sometime to give her the chance to decide for herself. ).

Cheers,

bcg

what, no bobble-head dolls????

H
As to the client not always being informed... I'm not familiar with the law in this jurisdiction, but I'd be very much surprised if there isn't a law criminalizing (and/or imposing civil tort liability for) reckless exposure of an uninformed partner to HIV or HepB/C. The quoted statute covers only sex work; you have to consider the effect of other relevant statutes or caselaw on the situation.
bcg Originally Posted by bluffcityguy
Monetary damages would be cold comfort to the client. Also meeting the standard of proof might be difficult. Add to that the stresses on individuals involved in a trial (at least in this country--who knows about wherever this is...) and who wants to be placed in the position to have to file suit in order to be made "whole"?
The ability to contract with informed consent is a fair argument, it's just that in reality, would that consent really occur? The IC in healthcare is ripe with forms, and I doubt that would fly in this circumstance. I much prefer the Nevada model.
I much prefer the Nevada model. Originally Posted by mtndew
If we were to have legalized adult services here, so would I. But the legislature there didn't see it that way. I'm just trying to understand how they might be seeing it.

Cheers,

bcg
Obligatory.
Attached Images File Type: jpg 1273966918366.jpg (33.1 KB, 111 views)
  • BK
  • 06-11-2010, 07:10 PM
Look it took us this long just to get freaking Powerball... I swear the divorce rates would plummet if people didn't actually have to "have affairs" to get some strange every now and then.
Data collected can always be misinterpreted. Each detective draw own conclusions, perhaps miss vital clues during preliminary observations. Thus return to scene of crime necessary to determine if original conclusions were sound. Merely state since unworthy investigator found presence more exciting than skateboarding down Great Pyramid(see, 'Charlie Chan in Cairo',little film made before war years with much better production values than in later work and surprise cameo appearance by Irene Dunn as slave girl in chorus line.) perhaps something has changed. May have to reexamine Corpus Delectable, perhaps even dust for prints.
"Really, Watson, sometimes you amaze me"

Meaning Honorable Detective no disrespect, but you have the pleasure of spending time with the honorable lady in question. How the fsck can you be misinformed?

Now I could be misinformed, since all I know about the honorable lady in question is what I've heard from lucky... um... so-and-so's like you. However, from what I know of Honorable Gumshoe's character in multiple incarnations, I know he wouldn't lead his worthy brethren here astray.

If the stars align, maybe I too will have the honor of seeing for myself if your reports were accurate. Then again, I have no complaints whatsoever about all the lovely ladies I have been able to see lately, and Ms. Ginger is probably much better off not making my personal acquaintance (though I'd like sometime to give her the chance to decide for herself. ).

Cheers,

I certainly believe that any physical relationship between two consenting adults should never be illegal but if prositution was suddenly legalized the rates provider could charge would drop dramatically overnight. So be careful what you wish for. Originally Posted by warbird
Rates would certainly drop some, don't know about dramatically. My only substantial experience with legal hobbying is in Germany, where rates are about half (depending on the strength of the dollar) of what they are here. Some of that is due to things being legal and the attendant much lessened risk, but mostly has to do with the presence of large numbers of Eastern European women. Some there by choice, some victims of sex trafficking.
I certainly believe that any physical relationship between two consenting adults should never be illegal but if prositution was suddenly legalized the rates provider could charge would drop dramatically overnight. So be careful what you wish for. Originally Posted by warbird
Rates would certainly drop some, don't know about dramatically. My only substantial experience with legal hobbying is in Germany, where rates are about half (depending on the strength of the dollar) of what they are here. Some of that is due to things being legal and the attendant much lessened risk, but mostly has to do with the presence of large numbers of Eastern European women. Some there by choice, some victims of sex trafficking. Originally Posted by hyperkine
I've read a couple studies by economists on the subject. Agreed that the price of prostitution services in the US are generally increased because US prostitutes are have to cover certain costs incurred because prostitution is illegal (e.g., lawyer's fees after the inevitable arrest, which are never insubstantial). How much prostitutes' fees would go down if prostitution was legalized depends on what study you read...

"Ask five economists a question, and you'll get five different answers. Six if one got his Ph.D. from Harvard..."

As for whether that drop in rates would be a bad thing for the prostitutes... maybe, maybe not. Remember that the rates are inflated because of certain costs they incur. Without those costs, they can meet the same standard of living on lower fees. Not to mention that if the prices go down, the demand will go up, so they'll probably see more clients. Even if the fees go down due to market pressures, the overall climate under legalization might still qualify as a big win for them.

Cheers,

bcg
  • MrGiz
  • 06-13-2010, 08:00 AM
....(e.g., lawyer's fees after the inevitable arrest..... Originally Posted by bluffcityguy
Inevitable? Oh Really?

Most of the girls I know in the hobby are not really interested in more volume (hours worked)..... they would prefer to maintain a decent 'rate' of pay. That reasoning is true with any occupation.

I doubt most of the girls want legalization.... but rather de-criminalization!

Giz
Inevitable? Oh Really? Originally Posted by MrGiz
The ladies here that I've come to know (a couple BCD, the rest by reputation) tend to play it very safe. They might be lucky and avoid getting arrested. But overall, more hookers than not are going to have an arrest at some point in their careers. (Arrest, not necessarily conviction. But getting arrested is still a pain in the ass and in the pocketbook; just because an arrest doesn't result in a conviction doesn't mean it's not painful and costly to deal with.)

Realistically, do this job long enough, and sooner or later you're going to get busted. That's just a fact of life. Cops are smarter than you give them credit for (or more willing to lie and cheat to get the bust than you give them credit for). If they have their eyes on a girl, and really have a hard-on for her (and not in the good sense), she's gonna get busted, no matter how smart she thinks she is.

It's simply an occupational hazard.

Cheers,

bcg
  • MrGiz
  • 06-13-2010, 08:16 AM
.... But overall, more hookers than not are going to have an arrest at some point in their careers. . . .
Realistically, do this job long enough, and sooner or later you're going to get busted. That's just a fact of life. . . . Originally Posted by bluffcityguy
Not really trying to be argumentative here.... but do you have any statistical data to support those opinions?

Giz
I've read a couple studies by economists on the subject. Agreed that the price of prostitution services in the US are generally increased because US prostitutes are have to cover certain costs incurred because prostitution is illegal (e.g., lawyer's fees after the inevitable arrest, which are never insubstantial). How much prostitutes' fees would go down if prostitution was legalized depends on what study you read...

"Ask five economists a question, and you'll get five different answers. Six if one got his Ph.D. from Harvard..."

As for whether that drop in rates would be a bad thing for the prostitutes... maybe, maybe not. Remember that the rates are inflated because of certain costs they incur. Without those costs, they can meet the same standard of living on lower fees. Not to mention that if the prices go down, the demand will go up, so they'll probably see more clients. Even if the fees go down due to market pressures, the overall climate under legalization might still qualify as a big win for them.

Cheers,

Actual legal costs are part of it but I think physical and social risks are most of it. Providers have to deal with the increased risk of being ripped off, robbed, beaten, raped, murdered, fighting off pimps/being pimped, occasional imprisonment etc...plus there's something more of a social stigma here. All these very negative things wouldn't disappear with legalization but surely they'd all be greatly reduced.

Risks for guys would go down too of course, but providers are on the sharp end of the stick.