Mo' Money! Mo' Money! Mo' Money! Thanks President Trump

As I pointed out in another thread, in Obama's first 18 months in office the DJIA went up 72%. Many of us who had money in the stock market at that time made quite a bit of money. Yet in the mid-term elections of 2010 Democrats lost 6 Senate seats and 63 House seats. And although Trump's approval rating on the economy is high (about 68% believe U.S. economic conditions are "good" and approximately 50% approve of Trump's handling of the economy) his overall approval rating hovers around 40%.
Approval rate on taxes 45%. Foreign affairs 40%. Foreign trade 38%. Immigration 37%. Environmental policy 31%.

Obviously there's more to how people see Trump's success as POTUS than how he has done on the economy. How that lack of approval turns into votes in November will be interesting.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs...=.2677b3eafe39 Originally Posted by SpeedRacerXXX
I don't think Trump rolls up his sleeves to take a shower. Originally Posted by Yssup Rider
The reason I brought up Obama was to point out that even when the economy is doing well that voters obviously cast their votes on issues other than just the economy.

The tax cuts were good for all taxpayers, better for some (the rich and corporations) than others (middle of the middle class and lower). You are definitely correct in that corporate tax rates needed to be cut.

And I also agree that there is a long road ahead, although the average person in this country has it quite good. Originally Posted by SpeedRacerXXX
This is what you want right

just so you can get rid of Trump
What's amazing is how there is no longer any compromise left in discussion. If you don't agree with what the other side is saying, then that means you want Armageddon.

Nobody I know wants a recession.

But this so-called common-tater in the YouTube above wants to paint everybody who doesn't agree or have the ability to stomach the Orange Sphincter as someone who wants a recession.

No I don't want another recession like we had under Bush. Or Nixon. Or Ford.

I don't want to kill babies. I don't want children to get gunned down in school. I don't want violence between extreme groups (on many sides. on many sides).

I just want the lunatic Trump and his band of dipshit despots to clear the fuck out.

And that's already happening and will continue to happen until our democracy is safe again.
We all made a lot of money in the markets during the Obama years, but what does that have to do with anything he did? Mostly, he had the good fortune to get into office after the economy took its worst nosedive in generations. After the fed dumped rates to neat zero and kept them there for a long time, how could stocks have not gone on a tear?

Look, I largely agree with you about Trump. He's a train wreck in a variety of ways, but I am on board with the notion that we needed a corporate tax cut to bring rates more in line with those in the rest of the world, and regulatory relief that has brought about renewed optimism.

Now we will just have to see if we can keep it up. Long road ahead. Originally Posted by Ex-CEO
More revisionist history from Speedy. If you look at the timeframe about 1 year before Obama was elected to the timeframe about 4 years after, the stock market gained ZERO. And the thing that kept it together for almost all of Obama's term was "free money." Even with "free money" the GDP barely grew and it took 4 years to get the UE rate down to 8 percent and that was with incredible number fudging.

Speedy and I have had this discussion.

Trump has brought incredible increase in consumer confidence and GDP. And yes, the economy will tank if the Democrats take over.
What's amazing is how there is no longer any compromise left in discussion. If you don't agree with what the other side is saying, then that means you want Armageddon.

Nobody I know wants a recession.

But this so-called common-tater in the YouTube above wants to paint everybody who doesn't agree or have the ability to stomach the Orange Sphincter as someone who wants a recession.

No I don't want another recession like we had under Bush. Or Nixon. Or Ford.

I don't want to kill babies. I don't want children to get gunned down in school. I don't want violence between extreme groups (on many sides. on many sides).

I just want the lunatic Trump and his band of dipshit despots to clear the fuck out.

And that's already happening and will continue to happen until our democracy is safe again. Originally Posted by Yssup Rider
Your life will be as you want it in 2024 when Trump is gone. In the mean time deal with it.

Jim
More revisionist history from Speedy. If you look at the timeframe about 1 year before Obama was elected to the timeframe about 4 years after, the stock market gained ZERO. And the thing that kept it together for almost all of Obama's term was "free money." Even with "free money" the GDP barely grew and it took 4 years to get the UE rate down to 8 percent and that was with incredible number fudging.

Speedy and I have had this discussion.

Trump has brought incredible increase in consumer confidence and GDP. And yes, the economy will tank if the Democrats take over. Originally Posted by gnadfly
What? Yes, the stock market was very high before the recession. Obama was not in office. It was at 11143 in September of 2008 and dropped eventually to a low of 6626. In November of 2008 the DJIA was at about 8943 If you look at the DJIA in November 2012, 4 years after Obama was elected, it was at about 13112. No matter how you look at it the market grew and grew incredibly in the first 4 years under Obama. And in his second 4 years the market was up to over 18000 before Trump was elected.

This is what I continue to not understand. I, and most others, give Trump ample credit for the growth in the economy since he's been in office. Yet I have yet to see any Trump supporters give Obama any credit for the rise in the DJIA while he was in office. Anyone who had money invested while Obama was in office made a fantastic return on investment.

And while we're talking about the stock market -- the DJIA is up 4.4% in 2018 after growing at about 24% in 2017. The NASDAQ has grown at 12.8%. But it grew at 25% in 2017. The markets had a great run in 2017 due to corporations looking at tax reform from which they would benefit greatly. That run has slowed in 2018. Hard to say what 2019 will bring.
Hopefully a new majority in Congress
Hopefully a new majority in Congress Originally Posted by Yssup Rider
You know yssup if you wish in one hand, and shit in the other, which one do think will receive what it wants first
This is what you want right

just so you can get rid of Trump Originally Posted by Hotrod511

Yes i do remember him. That's imo what many of these libtards are wanting. BAD jobs, Bad economy. Just so they can blame it all on Don, and hopefully win back seats/the white house.
The DJIA is an illusion. It's thirty large companies which comprise a very small sector of the US economy. It is NOT an indication of the economy at large.
Great observation, friendly fred!

Is that because we're all "lazy" like Sen. Booker? Originally Posted by Yssup Rider
Thanks for the compliment.
Now, I never said everyone is as lazy as Senator Booker, who was too lazy to do his homework properly prior to his Spartacus fiasco.
People have many degrees of laziness, especially those Democrats who don't like to work but do like free shit from the government.
What's amazing is how there is no longer any compromise left in discussion. (fault of liberals)

And that's already happening and will continue to happen until our democracy is safe again. Originally Posted by Yssup Rider
I believe our Democracy will be safe again soon.

When Kavanaugh sits on the SCOTUS!

As you well know, I fervently hope that everything the liberals were afraid of happens!! (Except abortions being illegal - I'm for abortion - woman's right to choose and all that)