Burner phone vs. Burner App?

My hobby phone is a boost mobile. While it has worked well when I needed it to schedule a date, I think it's a monthly charge rather than a pay as you go. I'd like to get a pay as you go but needed a burner phone fast when I was scheduling so I may change. Also the boost set-up was actually fairly easy and completely anonymous.

I thought about an app but I don't want any texts/calls on my RW phone. So I'd go with a separate phone.
Just buy the $40 or $50 cheap "throw away" phones. Saves the hassle of going through a major company, giving up ALL your information. Defeats the purpose of having a "burner"
I use page plus. It uses Verizon towers so has great coverage. 40 per month.
It is much easier to hide a phone from the so than it is to hide all evidence on your personal phone.
I have google voice, it does hide the " REAL " number, but the other number that is does use sticks out like a sore thumb on the bill. I'm getting a burner phone, but which one has good service ( if there is such a thing ) I had a boost mobile phone once and the service was horrible at best. I've heard horror stories about cricket wireless too. Originally Posted by Gucci

I use Google Voice and it works fine.... I download the app, go play and then delete the app after I'm done.

What are you talking about "the other number that is does use sticks out like a sore thumb on the bil"??? It is VOIP for voice and text and doesn't show up as anything on the bill except data usage?
I'm Curious to know what people think of what I'm doing. I have an old smart phone that i wiped clean to factory and downloaded a free text and phone over w-fi. When i need it i connect to wi-fi use it then when done clear out the history pull the battery and just put it with rest of my old electronic stuff i never throw away and keep the battery separate. I feel unless a cop actually catches me with me with it they couldn't trace it back to me. I also turn it off and stash it in the car so it's not even on me during the meet. so whats everyone's thought?
Seems like a nice, cheap plan of action. But you have to be pretty confident that you are going to have good wifi access wherever you need the phone.

I'm Curious to know what people think of what I'm doing. I have an old smart phone that i wiped clean to factory and downloaded a free text and phone over w-fi. When i need it i connect to wi-fi use it then when done clear out the history pull the battery and just put it with rest of my old electronic stuff i never throw away and keep the battery separate. I feel unless a cop actually catches me with me with it they couldn't trace it back to me. I also turn it off and stash it in the car so it's not even on me during the meet. so whats everyone's thought? Originally Posted by miami72
In this tread I have read that both Straight Talk and Cricket have problems and don't use them. Is there a service for a burner phone that anyone has not had problems with? Originally Posted by atf searcher
Tracfone. Uses multiple company's cells so service is rarely a problem, costs just over $7 a month to keep it going, unused minutes roll over, you can register it right there at walmart on their phones no real name address or email needed, phones as cheap as $10, many with double or even triple minutes for life options. And they're not anal about renewing on time...go a few days over before renewing (every 90 days) and your rolled-over minutes will still be there...I know at least with T-Mobile pay-as-you-go, if you're a minute late everything's gone.
I don't want extra phone and carry around on travel. Also I don't travel very often either. So I do not want hobby phone which I might use once every 6 months.

Can someone explain me little more on google voice? Is it like app? How do you manage unexpected call backs and text? Do you delete it after use? Does it tie to your google account (I mean do you need to register gmail account to use it)?

Please also suggest any burner app which is easy to use when you are not on Wifi but on 4G or LTE. I guess you delete the app after each usage to delete history, correct?
I walked into AT&T location ...told them I wanted to get a phone for a friend, used cash to buy the SIM card...had my own phone... Gave them fake address and name for my friend. Asked for my ID but never used any info from it. I reload with cards from the store. Had it for 8 mos and have spent ~ $60 on it. Safe hobbying.
Is it like app? Originally Posted by futile
There is a free GV app that allows you to use a GV number for phone calls and texting from your phone. If you just want to use it texting a hooker occasionally, you can simply use the desktop version without having to download the app.

How do you manage unexpected call backs and text? Originally Posted by futile
That is up for you to decide. I have a GF who doesn't live with me, so unexpected calls and texts aren't really an issue. However, you can play with the setting of GV so that there is no ringtone whenever you do get a call/text. There would just be a visual notification on the phone.

Do you delete it after use? Originally Posted by futile
I guess you could....but it would be alot of hassle.

Does it tie to your google account? Originally Posted by futile
It ties into A google account...but it doesn't have to be your real life one. If you download the app onto your phone, it will have to tie into a real life phone number. But if you get the settings right, the usual recipients will never know.

Please also suggest any burner app which is easy to use when you are not on Wifi but on 4G or LTE. Originally Posted by futile
There are numerous ones that offer free trials: CoverMe, Hushed, Burner. You typically pay a small amount for permanent usage. I'd suggest downloading the free trials and testing them.