Is a bad economy actually good for the hobby?

<~~~#51

EroticEmily, I believe that if you banged 51 guys a week, the world would be a happier place.

. Originally Posted by SofaKingFun
I'm gonna say yes and no. People who driven by desperation on either side of the gender divide . . . well, just be careful out there. You can't parachute in and expect to be ready for everything that comes with the hobby.
I will take a different slant on this topic. The car wash industry sees significant growth during an economic downturn mainly because people get their old POS car washed instead of buying a new one. However, I think the hobbying industry is a bit more segmented. Like Tess pointed out, you have those tied to the financial industry who are going to spend to escape or to tolerate the pain of the industry. You also have those that are going to spend to simply escape "life" as they crash and burn. They will blow their money on hobbying because they just don't care anymore about thier credit rating. So yes, I think an economic downturn is great for hobbying. It is also good for other traditional addictive behaviors ie drugs, alcohol, and the rest of the list. I'm not a sociologist, but I know where the money can be found, and right now, I'd invest my cash in a network of good providers if they could guarantee the right ROI...jk...

Great analysis Tess!
Hmm... I noticed when the bad news first hit in October 2008 that things slowed down and stayed down for a while, and girls were running crazy specials constantly. But then things began picking up again and I even noticed some girls who had been at $200 going up to $225 or $250 and I saw several enter the market at $300+. Guys can't just sit at home/work and think about bad news all the time. Eventually the itch needs to be scratched and demand returns.

I know more girls have definitely entered the market and some rates have dropped (especially at the beginning of the recession) and probably the frequency of appointments for most girls has gone down a bit, but overall, I feel business is pretty good from where I stand in the mid range price point. There is such a huge plethora of options at $200 or below that I don't think it makes sense to enter at that price. I imagined one would get lost in the shuffle. Of course I really don't know what I'm talking about since I'm not in the BP market but whenever I have looked at all the ads, it just seems like it would be hard to get noticed.

Believe it or not there are guys who won't shop at that level because they assume, often incorrectly, that they won't find anyone skilled and attractive. Sometimes a business traveler who likes the finer things in life and doesn't want to waste time sifting through profiles for the diamonds in the rough will start his search at the higher price points. I once saw a guy in a double with a higher priced girl who said he never would have seen me without her insistence because he assumed girls at my rate were all ugly or stupid.

I also know there are zillions of Austin guys who stick to the mantra of not seeing anyone over $200. My p411 rate is $225 but those $200 guys won't see me because they can't break their rule. I hear it all the time, "I'd love to see you but I never pay over $200 so let me know when you're running a special." I don't think I've run a special in over a year, and I find them totally pointless. Specials are not how you meet regulars. It's how you meet the bargain hunter of the day. He just goes through the ads looking for the best deal. He doesn't even really want to see YOU. It's like he wants to see the cheapest piece he can find. Totally unappealing. But if I ever do run a special again, it will be for more time instead of less money.... like buy 1 hour get 1/2 hour free or something of that nature. That attracts the guys that actually like to spend quality time with a woman, which are the ones I prefer.

So does the bad economy help the hobby? I think I would agree that it provides more options in terms of providers and a lot more who come in with 1/2 hour rates or lower prices. So from the hobbyists perspective, probably a little bit. I don't think it helps us as providers but it doesn't necessarily cripple us either.
Wow! Sensual Sophia just justified her $25 over the $200 rule with her well thought out articulate response to a "truly" provocative question. I would only add a single yet important caveat, "outcall".

Outside of the "married and wanting to escape/play" market, if those providers that offer GFE at the $200 and up price range could do a little more outcall type services during a tough economy, I personally believe that you would find more folks willing to pay for hourly upgrades etc. It is just a stigma, but during a tough economy, when you have to leave your work or home to spend a large sum of money for only an hour of fun, then you find yourself questioning your economic decision making process. If you could receive the same fun without having to worry about transportation, then I bet those offering this type of "special" would garner a great deal more market share!

But of course, who am I? Just my 2 cents! Anyone else have any thoughts on outcall versus incall pricing during a down economy and the available market share?

Thanks for the insight Sophia...
I have no idea how the economy has affected the industry. I wasn't providing before the economy took a turn. I have no way to tell if girls are busier/ less busy, high priced/moderately priced now compared to before. The economy and the insane gas prices drove me out of my job and into the hobby so as far as I'm concerned, yea recession! Without the recession I would still have a thankless job making less money with less flexibility and more hours of my time. My standard of living has gone up since I entered the hobby and had it not been for a declining economy, I wouldn't have the extras that I enjoy so much now.

Discounts? Why not? Those who me a couple of times in a few weeks' time are the ones who gets the special specials. Explain the mid-priced rate? I have found that it is easier to turn down requests because I have scheduled my limit or because the request comes at a time when I'd rather be doing something else. If priced higher, the infrequency of requests would force me to live my life around the requests rather than the other way around for the same gross worth. Would I have to see less clients in a month? Sure. Would I have to see more clients on their schedule rather than have them accommodate me on mine? Of course, or risk them scheduling with another higher priced girl since they are a guaranteed good time. Would I rather see the same gentlemen over and over at a more affordable tribute or see new gents all of the time? Ok, so the freak in me says that really depends on the day of the week. But still, safety in familiarity, yes?

Just playing the devil's advocate..........
Interesting how the ladies mention guys shopping within price ranges... I never considered that. When I first see a provider ad I look at her pics first, and then her menu... then I decide how much I am willing to pay to see her. If her price is close to my price then we may meet... if I feel that 180hr would be a good price for provider A, and she wants 220, then I move on.. if I think that 250hr is a good price for provider B, and we are within 20 - 30 bucks, then things could happen.

LF

I have a soft cap at $220hr, but that can change any time I want it to
Interesting how the ladies mention guys shopping within price ranges... I never considered that. When I first see a provider ad I look at her pics first, and then her menu... then I decide how much I am willing to pay to see her. If her price is close to my price then we may meet... if I feel that 180hr would be a good price for provider A, and she wants 220, then I move on.. if I think that 250hr is a good price for provider B, and we are within 20 - 30 bucks, then things could happen.

LF

I have a soft cap at $220hr, but that can change any time I want it to Originally Posted by LadiesFan

LOL ... Sounds like the meat department at HEB.

Discounts? Why not? Those who me a couple of times in a few weeks' time are the ones who gets the special specials. Explain the mid-priced rate? I have found that it is easier to turn down requests because I have scheduled my limit or because the request comes at a time when I'd rather be doing something else. If priced higher, the infrequency of requests would force me to live my life around the requests rather than the other way around for the same gross worth. Would I have to see less clients in a month? Sure. Would I have to see more clients on their schedule rather than have them accommodate me on mine? Of course, or risk them scheduling with another higher priced girl since they are a guaranteed good time. Would I rather see the same gentlemen over and over at a more affordable tribute or see new gents all of the time? Ok, so the freak in me says that really depends on the day of the week. But still, safety in familiarity, yes?

Just playing the devil's advocate.......... Originally Posted by TaylorMaiden29
Very good points! I do really like being able to turn down appointments whenever I'm not in the mood. I never thought about that potential downside to being HDH. My primary reason for keeping my rates midrange is I would be worried that expectations would be too high with a higher price point. I'm not perfect, and I fear someone paying a lot might expect perfection. Of course I know there are a lot of guys that shop at the higher level and DON'T expect perfection... but it only takes one impossible to please prick to ruin your week.
Ladies, some very good points made......I personally like the discounts for repeat offenders.......If some chemistry is there, screening has been handled and you know what to expect, wouldn't it make sense to offer a 'if you want to see me regularly I would offer you this special discounted rate'? I hope to get some feedback on this.......
Ladies, some very good points made......I personally like the discounts for repeat offenders.......If some chemistry is there, screening has been handled and you know what to expect, wouldn't it make sense to offer a 'if you want to see me regularly I would offer you this special discounted rate'? I hope to get some feedback on this....... Originally Posted by richcran
Yes it would. It's a great idea.

But if the requested discount is really steep, the lady should probably ask for 1/2 as an advance deposit or something... I know guys always say don't prepay for any sessions, but I've never walked out on a prepay deal and I've had two guys walk out on a multi-appointment discount deal. If a guy says, I'll see you twice a week for x-amount per appointment but then the promised frequency never materializes, one can feel cheated. I think it makes more sense to do a monthly agreement, paid up front, assuming the girl you are arranging this with is responsible and values her reputation. After being cheated twice, I won't give a frequency discount unless it's prepaid and has an expiration date.