Favorite Restaurants

Chez Panisse, Berkley - Been there twice and each was equally amazing. I love how the menu items sound simple and are presented humbly. But once you take a bite, you're blown away.

Bouchon, Napa - Had the mussels for lunch and they exceeded my already high expectations.

Joël Robuchon in Vegas. Originally Posted by ed_mustafa
Glad to see this mentioned. I'll be there in 10 days and can't wait.
Actually there are two places in Dallas that I believe belong on the list.

Abacus - Modern and fairly trendy. I suggest the lobster shooters, they are one of the best things I've ever eaten.

The French Room - Very romantic setting. A great place for a date with your HDH, but make sure you have her for the entire night... as a meal at the French Room is an event. Originally Posted by 69er
I personally don't think that either of these deserves to be in the top five list in Dallas. Much less in an exclusive list of restaurants in the U.S. But everyone has opinions in matters of taste.

Miguel, I agree that Chez Panisse is a fantastic restaurant. Probably my favorite restaurant in the U.S. But it's qualities are different from the qualities of the restaurants that we're talking about here. There it is simplicity and impeccably fresh ingredients, not technique that wows you. And frankly, I prefer that. But as much as I love it (or Zuni Cafe, across the Bay), I'm not sure I'd put either on this list.
Chez Panisse is a fantastic restaurant. Probably my favorite restaurant in the U.S. But it's qualities are different from the qualities of the restaurants that we're talking about here. There it is simplicity and impeccably fresh ingredients, not technique that wows you. Originally Posted by TexTushHog
Agreed on all points. I only included it as I thought this was about favorite restaurants, regardless of complexity in preparation and presentation. The ingredients are the stars of the show in her dishes, no doubt. Perhaps that's why my attempts to recreate a few items make the preparations at CP seem so much more complex.

On the other end of the spectrum... anyone been to Alinea in Chicago?
Having lived in Houston and Dallas, niether competes on a national stage. When Fearing headed the kitchen at the Mansion, he helped pioneer southwestern cuisine, but that is now cliche'. My favorites:

Le Bernardin-seafood non-pariel
Dan Tana's in LA (not so much for the food, but, well for the history)
Daniel
Bartolotti in Vegas

These, and all of those listed in this thread are fine, but I don't frequently dine at starred restaurants. I would rather know about really good food in places only locals know about.
Love to eat at great places when I am on road. Le Bernardin and Per Se are NY faves. Been to Alinea and it is one of the best. I have their cookbook just to look at the photos. I could never make any of those dishes myself. Guy Savoy and Joel Robochun in Vegas are similiar to their three star places in France.
I am not privileged enough to eat at a lot of top-notch restaurants like some of you. I did, however, eat once at a place I likes a lot: the Capital Grille in Dallas. I recently learned it is a chain...exclusive, but still a chain. I DO recommend it highly in this thread.

http://www.thecapitalgrille.com/about/main.asp
Any restaurant in New Orleans will excead all expectations! You MFs!
Tru- Chicago ( my most fav! )

NYC- Asia de Cuba & KittiChai

London- Green and Satsuma (in Soho)
My favorite restaurant would be Benny Hannas lol
Minneapolis: Manny's, Nick and Eddie's, also Oceanaire
I am not privileged enough to eat at a lot of top-notch restaurants like some of you. I did, however, eat once at a place I likes a lot: the Capital Grille in Dallas. I recently learned it is a chain...exclusive, but still a chain. I DO recommend it highly in this thread.

http://www.thecapitalgrille.com/about/main.asp Originally Posted by charlestudor2005
We have one of these here in Charlotte. I plan to visit soon.

My favorite restaurants

Sundial Restaurant & Bar - Atlanta, GA
http://www.sundialrestaurant.com/restaurant.php#
The restaurant is located on the top floor of the Westin Peachtree Plaza.
The panoramic 360degree view alone is amazing! The food is better than sex. I have visited 4 times. Twice with clients and other times with my best friend.
Can't wear flip flops, tennis shoes, shorts, hates or athletic wear here.

Bentley's on 2th-Charlotte, NC
http://www.bentleyson27.com/
Great food. Nice wine selection. Gorgeous view!

Bone's restaurant - Atlanta, GA
http://www.bonesrestaurant.com/
Not because they give me free food ... LOL!
This thread was well over 90 days old. Let's see how our new mod staff starts out.....
Way too many to list living in New Orleans, but I do have a few of my faves on my VIP page for other places I have visited.
Any restaurant in New Orleans will excead all expectations! You MFs! Originally Posted by hrwmms
Word! I hate trying to find good food when I leave home. It's great, but still never like we do it in New Orleans!
Chicago - Spiaggia

New York - Per Se and Daniel. Strictly for atmosphere: Once If By Land Twice If By Sea

Jerusalem - 1868

Sydney - Quay

Washington - Citronelle. Loved Georgia Brown. Throw in a bit of a road trip to The Inn in Little Washington

Toronto - Canoe, Sen5es, Jacob & Co

Dallas - Dean Fearings (loved the Foei Gras last night)

I wish I knew the names of the places I went in Tokyo, but alas I was with a Japanese family the whole time, the restaurant names weren't in English nor did the staff speak the language!