Happy Juneteenth

It’s worth celebrating. Just wish they had called it something other than Juneteenth! Wtf is THAT!?
  • Bisby
  • 06-20-2023, 11:51 AM
I have no objection to a holiday celebrating the end of slavery in the US. However they got the history wrong. Slavery did not end throughout the US with the Emancipation Proclamation (which as a practical matter freed exactly zero slaves). Originally Posted by Smarty1
Juneteenth started as a celebration of union troops arriving in Galveston Bay on June 19, 1865 to announce the emancipation of the quarter million enslaved people who still lived in Texas at that time.
I guess I shouldn't be surprised that some people jump to their fallback false cries of racism for people pointing out how the whole Juneteenth national holiday was political pandering by Senile Biden in 2021

And how with our government swimming in debt, it is foolhardy to give government employees yet another paid day off due to political pandering
Juneteenth started as a celebration of union troops arriving in Galveston Bay on June 19, 1865 to announce the emancipation of the quarter million enslaved people who still lived in Texas at that time. Originally Posted by Bisby
I’m well aware of that fact, but that really isn’t a historically significant date in terms of ending slavery nationally. I’m sure those slaves in Galveston were overjoyed at the news, but it really was an insignificant event compared to the Emancipation Proclamation or the ratification of the Thirteenth Amendment.

While the EP was an executive order issued by Lincoln that only applied to areas that did not recognize Federal authority, and hence it freed no slaves, it did represent a change in the war aim from restoring the Union to abolition of slavery. Much like we celebrate July 4 as Independence Day even though we were far from being actually independent on that day, I could see celebrating a holiday on September 22 (the date of the preliminary issuing of the EP). Obviously December 6 also would be a historically appropriate day as well (ratification of the 13th).

IMO June 19 is only a date of local interest and either of those other dates would be more historically appropriate for a national holiday to celebrate the end of slavery.
Milwaukee Juneteenth celebrants join the ranks of those marking the new national holiday with "celebratory gun fire" that looked suspiciously like criminal violence.
  • El-mo
  • 06-20-2023, 01:04 PM
I’m well aware of that fact, but that really isn’t a historically significant date in terms of ending slavery nationally. I’m sure those slaves in Galveston were overjoyed at the news, but it really was an insignificant event compared to the Emancipation Proclamation or the ratification of the Thirteenth Amendment.

While the EP was an executive order issued by Lincoln that only applied to areas that did not recognize Federal authority, and hence it freed no slaves, it did represent a change in the war aim from restoring the Union to abolition of slavery. Much like we celebrate July 4 as Independence Day even though we were far from being actually independent on that day, I could see celebrating a holiday on September 22 (the date of the preliminary issuing of the EP). Obviously December 6 also would be a historically appropriate day as well (ratification of the 13th).

IMO June 19 is only a date of local interest and either of those other dates would be more historically appropriate for a national holiday to celebrate the end of slavery. Originally Posted by Smarty1
Wait until you find out about Thanksgiving and Christmas. We have a lots of federal holidays that aren’t necessarily tied to historical accuracy, but rather established tradition. Juneteenth has long been established as a day of celebrating emancipation. It’s been an official Steve holiday in Texas for over 40 years, It’s been an official Steve holiday in Texas for over 40 years, and by 2815 states officially recognized it. That’s why the federal government adopted it, instead of creating a new emancipation day.

But I’m curious why people seem to be so upset by this one holiday.
23 people in Chicago shot celebrating Juneteenth.
I’m not upset about this holiday but you don’t usually hear of 23 people shot celebrating Thanksgiving.
  • Bisby
  • 06-20-2023, 02:24 PM
I’m well aware of that fact, but that really isn’t a historically significant date in terms of ending slavery nationally. I’m sure those slaves in Galveston were overjoyed at the news, but it really was an insignificant event compared to the Emancipation Proclamation or the ratification of the Thirteenth Amendment. Originally Posted by Smarty1
Fair point, but the holiday came from a natural growth of a local celebration that grew to national attention. You could certainly pick a number of arbitrary days that would be worth celebrating, but for the purpose of picking one to celebrate the end of slavery, the day chosen by the people who personally suffered under that institution seems fitting.
Wait until you find out about Thanksgiving and Christmas. We have a lots of federal holidays that aren’t necessarily tied to historical accuracy, but rather established tradition. Juneteenth has long been established as a day of celebrating emancipation. It’s been an official Steve holiday in Texas for over 40 years, It’s been an official Steve holiday in Texas for over 40 years, and by 2815 states officially recognized it. That’s why the federal government adopted it, instead of creating a new emancipation day.

But I’m curious why people seem to be so upset by this one holiday. Originally Posted by El-mo
I can’t speak for anyone else, but I’m certainly not upset about it. I just think a more appropriate date that better reflects the enormous historical significance of abolition would lend even greater weight and import to the holiday. Obviously that isn’t going to happen and the June 19 date has become the holiday. To me the complete ending of slavery is far more worthy of celebration than a bit of local news. I’m not minimizing the import of June 19 and the events in Galveston, but there were still slaves in the US right up until December 6, 1865. It was not a large number comparatively (about 40,000 In Kentucky and Delaware), but those slaves would probably object that June 19 was not really worth celebrating.
  • El-mo
  • 06-20-2023, 03:23 PM
23 people in Chicago shot celebrating Juneteenth.
I’m not upset about this holiday but you don’t usually hear of 23 people shot celebrating Thanksgiving. Originally Posted by Charley3
Someone blew up and entire city block a couple of christmases ago. Say the thing you want to say. No one is going to hurt you. You can be a brave boy.
Someone blew up and entire city block a couple of christmases ago. Originally Posted by El-mo
Not surprising you make excuses for and try to dismiss this violence

12 killed, more than 100 shot in Juneteenth celebrations across the US

The shootings ranged across multiple cities and states, including Chicago, Milwaukee, Washington, Pennsylvania, St. Louis, Baltimore, Idaho, and Southern California.

Happy Juneteenth
  • El-mo
  • 06-20-2023, 03:38 PM
Not surprising you make excuses for and try to dismiss this violence

12 killed, more than 100 shot in Juneteenth celebrations across the US

The shootings ranged across multiple cities and states, including Chicago, Milwaukee, Washington, Pennsylvania, St. Louis, Baltimore, Idaho, and Southern California.

Happy Juneteenth Originally Posted by berryberry
I’m not sure I understand the point you’re trying to make here. Why don’t you elaborate? Don’t be coy.
Well I for one had a happy Juneteenth. Had a nice cookout with friends as I've been celebrating it for the last few years. My job even did a lunch where we learned more about the celebration and the efforts to make it a holiday, which had been going on for longer then I thought. Originally Posted by BTHUDER99
I'm glad you had a good holiday. I first started hearing about it in the early 90s.
Someone blew up and entire city block a couple of christmases ago. Say the thing you want to say. No one is going to hurt you. You can be a brave boy. Originally Posted by El-mo
Yep, it's not too hard to read through the lines, is it?
Yep, it's not too hard to read through the lines, is it? Originally Posted by 1pittsburgh
Yes, it’s pretty easy. When any one of a variety of topics comes up your mind defaults to race, even when it has nothing to do with it. That’s a you problem.