pre-book? what the hell does that mean anyway?

By definition pre-booking means before or prior to booking.

I would thinck that booking or scheduling with someone could be anywhere from 30 minutes to days before the appointment.

So what does pre-booking mean again?

The English language is a mother fucker. Originally Posted by oilfieldscum
Actually ;

pre-book
▶verb (usu. as adj. pre-booked) book (something) in advance. Originally Posted by Pistolero
Appointment... would probably be a better word.......I tried to explain it earlier in the thread....
Technically prebooking would be what you do before you book. In my experience, traveling providers want you to book before they arrive in town so it really means pre-travel or pre-arrival booking of a session so the gal knows what sessions she will have before she comes to town which makes sense. So pre-travel booking does make sense. For a local provider, it really doesnt mean much.
Technically prebooking would be what you do before you book. In my experience, traveling providers want you to book before they arrive in town so it really means pre-travel or pre-arrival booking of a session so the gal knows what sessions she will have before she comes to town which makes sense. So pre-travel booking does make sense. For a local provider, it really doesnt mean much. Originally Posted by whitechocolate

Yes..... That makes even more sense than my idea of it
Actually ;

pre-book
▶verb (usu. as adj. pre-booked) book (something) in advance. Originally Posted by Pistolero
Isn't that redundant?...Isn't that redundant?
Damn no big deal proper or not proper! We all get the understanding of what prebook means!
Dumb as a rock!
I would rather prebook than have a premature experience.
Well it's simple ... since Wednesday I have had an appointment set for 10am Saturday the 15th, that is a "pre-book". Originally Posted by Brooke Wild
Technically, and not to belabor the point, that is not a pre-book. By definition, that is simply booking. That it falls ahead of the day of does not change the fact that one has booked. If one books on Wednesday for Sunday or Tuesday for Thursday has no "pre" about it - it simply is booking.

You may say "please book 2 days in advance" and that is booking ahead of the date, but in no way is it "pre-booking."

By saying pre-book, you actually mean that you are booking a time ahead to actually book a real time - in essence, you are asking for a date to call to make an appointment date. As if to say, "I'll email you Wednesday to book a time next week, is that okay?" That would be the closest to a "pre-book." Essentially, booking a time to book a time.

Otherwise, there is no "pre-book" if the action at the end is an appointment. You can't "pre-book" a reservation at Underbelly anymore than an appointment for a hobby service.
a better way of saying it would be pre-scheduling - you dont pay the doctor til he has examined you - do you?
Again the definitions of pre book is from these online dictionaries..

http://www.wordreference.com/definition/pre-book
pre-book
▶verb
(usu. as adj. pre-booked) book (something) in advance.
– derivatives
pre-bookable adjective.http://oald8.oxfordlearnersdictionar...onary/pre-book

As in pre booking a reservation to your favorite expensive restaurant. Places pre book all the time.

By the way this is comical that we are all hung up on this.
a better way of saying it would be pre-scheduling - you dont pay the doctor til he has examined you - do you? Originally Posted by Texmedic
Pre schedule, pre book all the same thing.

By the way Texy baby when you coming to see me in Sugar Land??

xoxo
Sensia
Again the definitions of pre book is from these online dictionaries..

http://www.wordreference.com/definition/pre-book
pre-book
▶verb
(usu. as adj. pre-booked) book (something) in advance.
– derivatives
pre-bookable adjective.http://oald8.oxfordlearnersdictionar...onary/pre-book

As in pre booking a reservation to your favorite expensive restaurant. Places pre book all the time.

By the way this is comical that we are all hung up on this. Originally Posted by Sensia
Interesting, but still not a real word despite the online reference in my opinion. In no way is the phrase "pre-book" a logical use of the English language since booking as a verb means "to schedule (as in an appointment, in advance)" - so pre-book would be saying "to scheduled ahead to schedule an appointment in advance" which thus becomes redundant.
Ok..... back to what I said earlier, in this thread..... "Appointment", some of us are ( me ) just like to stick to the facts.

I bet with this type of conversation,,,, I could get a dozen people out on the street to bet on " what side will the coin drop on , after the flip"
Very good stuff. Again, there is no such thing as pre-book. WhiteChoc explains nicely the potential real use of the word.