STEPHEN COLBERT NAILS VOTER FRAUD LIES

And scarier yet...

They are allowed to vote. Originally Posted by Mokoa
This ^^^ made me shudder even more after watching RR's clip again and hearing those voters laughing at Colbert's "joke" about how in TX it's easier to bear arms than get a college education. Considering that the U.S. Constitution explicitly mentions the right to bear arms and never mentions any "right" to education, yes, it's super-spooky scary that such mushheads* vote.

*--"mushheads" means nothing with regard to age, only with ignorant lack of experience and/or reason, but told that they're wise. Today's mushheads could easily become the grandparents of slaves.
So voter fraud does not exist in some peoples minds.
Ever hear of a place called Chicago ??????
So voter fraud does not exist in some peoples minds.
Ever hear of a place called Chicago ?????? Originally Posted by Coolpops
Exactly! But RR will need a source on that, preferably with a spin he agrees with stating something like no one actually dies in Chicago, so all voters count.
Wow... Mush heads?
Seriously?

It's a proven fact that republicans are trying to make it harder and harder for LEGAL citizens to vote! This is simply another form of intimidation used by the right to make it difficult and even scary for people to vote, even if they have the LEGAL right to!

You should't have to show a driver's license or state issued I.d. THAT YOU HAVE TO PAY FOR to vote. You shouldn't be unable to vote because you can't afford to pay your parking tickets or fines! (don't go thinking I'm a dem, or a hypocrite. I also don't believe one should have to have a bank account to get a home or car. THAT, my friends, is unconstitutional.)
To think that during this day in age, with cameras, and registration cards, and computers, and social security numbers, and a HIGH level of scrutiny, that there is WIDE SPREAD voter fraud is a joke. Yes, some people slip through the cracks... BUT 4 PEOPLE DO NOT MAKE AN EPIDEMIC!

And to think that 'inexperienced mush heads' shouldn't be allowed to vote is just a sign of your own intelligence. I'm quite certain that what my opinion is just as valid as yours.
Not every 20 something is a cast member of the jersey shore for fuck's sake!
misfire
Wow... Mush heads?
Seriously?

It's a proven fact that republicans are trying to make it harder and harder for LEGAL citizens to vote! This is simply another form of intimidation used by the right to make it difficult and even scary for people to vote, even if they have the LEGAL right to!

You should't have to show a driver's license or state issued I.d. THAT YOU HAVE TO PAY FOR to vote. You shouldn't be unable to vote because you can't afford to pay your parking tickets or fines! (don't go thinking I'm a dem, or a hypocrite. I also don't believe one should have to have a bank account to get a home or car. THAT, my friends, is unconstitutional.)
To think that during this day in age, with cameras, and registration cards, and computers, and social security numbers, and a HIGH level of scrutiny, that there is WIDE SPREAD voter fraud is a joke. Yes, some people slip through the cracks... BUT 4 PEOPLE DO NOT MAKE AN EPIDEMIC!

And to think that 'inexperienced mush heads' shouldn't be allowed to vote is just a sign of your own intelligence. I'm quite certain that what my opinion is just as valid as yours.
Not every 20 something is a cast member of the jersey shore for fuck's sake! Originally Posted by Angel_Grace
So verifying a person's identity in order to vote is now considered a form of intimidation?
Is verifying a client a form of intimidation?
While I can agree with you that the level of voter fraud is not to the point that it can change the result of statewide or national elections, it can affect very close local elections which can have state or national implication.

If you are as intelligent as you are beautiful, you must be a freaking genius.
Both sides are taking measures (some more extreme than others) to appeal to their constituants. Republicans want to make sure only legal voters can vote. Personally, I don't have a problem with that since anyone can easily get a very low cost form of ID. And don't tell me it would create a financial hardship to get an ID. I see people every day using their Texas welfare card to buy groceries while they are talking on their iPhone and driving off in their BMW or Lexus.

On the other side, Democrats don't think illegal immigrants should have to pay fines or have their cars impounded when they are caught driving without a valid drivers license. They are giving in to pressure from certain groups which feel it creates too much of a financial burden on the illegal immigrants. Don't believe me? Take a look at this article from a California website (So Cal Public Radio). http://www.scpr.org/news/2011/03/14/...grant-drivers/ Make sure to read the comments. I especially like the comment that what happens if a US born citizen refuses to pay because they feel they are being discriminated? Think the ACLU will represent him/her? If this doesn't chap your ass, then may the USA RIP.
Verifying is one thing, but requiring someone to purchase something or show their social security card in order to vote is illegal. (look at your ss card, it says so. 'not to be used for identification')

To even be able to purchase an ID you have to not owe anything to the city or state. This means, that if you wanna vote, you have to clean your slate with the government first. Which would make it very hard for anyone without a job and who's license might expire sometime before November of next year.
Just to stir the pot a bit... Jim Crow laws? Anyone heard of them?

Written to establish standards of who could vote (among other things), or to make it so difficult to get through the process as to discourage the legal as well as weed out the illegal.
Wow... Mush heads?
Seriously?

Not every 20 something is a cast member of the jersey shore for fuck's sake! Originally Posted by Angel_Grace
Ms. Grace, by starting out your note here with my phrase "mushheads", I'm guessing you're poking mostly at me, so I'll address what I may. Nowhere have I written that citizens shouldn't be allowed to vote. In fact, I can't find anywhere on this thread above your reply to any reference of not allowing people to vote--you suggested that, not I. I simply agreed that people who take comedy for journalism and vote based on that ignorance are scary, and that they likely do so because they have little of life's experience. Also, I specifically mentioned that I meant nothing with regard to age--heck, I've known 15-year-olds with more life experience than some 35-year-olds. Age is just a number.

Regarding your "proven fact" about one party or another making it harder to vote through legal meanderings--that's anecdotal surmising at best, no "proof" of that in the U.S. I've heard by a major party ever since the Democrat Jim Crow laws were declared unconstitutional. Also, dennisrn's link on another thread:
. . . http://www.texasobserver.org/compone...igned-into-law . . . . Originally Posted by dennisrn
reports that the Texas voter ID card is provided free of charge. Further, I've never heard of anyone being denied a vote because of unpaid traffic/parking fines; a federal civil rights case for disenfranchisement might ensue from that I'd think.

There isn't widespread voter fraud for national elections anymore. But there is enough documented voter fraud/intimidation to make a difference in local and state elections, which can have an avalanche effect (e.g., Franken & Soetoro). Any registered voter knowing this should be outraged that his/her vote ends up counting for naught, countered by the fraud of some insider who dredged up the names of the dead and assigned votes to them. As for the four people that Colbert "reported"--his satire has a public and highly-biased agenda, and he obviously cherry-picked his statistics. He didn't mention the Chicago political machine, or the New Mexico problems (linked by satexasguy earlier), or any other problem areas. Colbert and Stewart rely on mushheads to laugh at their jokes making fun of constitutional rights in order to entertain and sell their sponsor's products.

So, Ms. Grace, while I greatly appreciate your passion, please read and comprehend what I've actually typed before getting upset that I'm saddened/scared by ignorant, chuckling mushheads who vote the way Colbert & Stewart tell them to instead of thinking for themselves. Thank God almost all 20-somethings I know have little in common with Jersey Shore cast members. It's still an unfortunate reality that Colbert & Stewart's comedy is taken for journalism by a large number of people.

(For anyone who may not often watch Colbert or who doesn't realize it, Colbert is NOT a conservative. At best he satirizes, but for the past year or so in my opinion, he mostly just mocks with little real humor anymore. Kinda sad. I used to find him fresh and hilarious, poking fun at conservative peccadillos and sacred cows. Nowadays he's mostly a talking-point mercenary, echoing Ed Schultz with less rage.)