single payer system

• WTF
  • 05-01-2017, 01:22 PM
https://www.vox.com/policy-and-polit...-zero-insurers

Link discusses who an Obamacare fail will hurt the most...Trump voters.

• DSK
  • 05-01-2017, 04:02 PM
Another large part of the discussion--potentially the largest part--is deciding what is "universally" covered and what is personally covered. As soon as we try to put all/most options in the same basket of services, it gets complex.

I believe we ultimately need to move towards a single payer for a set of services that are widely considered "basic expectations/good of the country". Off the top of my head I would include childhood immunizations, TB testing, and many preventative and routine services. The exact list would take a lot of discussion, and would not be static.

I think there will also be a collection of "more drastic" services that are not considered to be "generally expected". Cosmetic surgery in most cases, heart transplants, etc. The definition would essentially be "those things not identified in the first group". Those would be things that are essentially free market and would hopefully drive the innovation.

I think the focus of the discussion has to move to WHAT is covered at least as much as WHO is covered.
Originally Posted by Old-T
Yours in the first proposal I have liked - has that been discussed in Washington?
  • DSK
  • 05-01-2017, 04:03 PM
Ok here's the obvious question that no one has asked yet - many of you are giving good pros and cons but please tell me how are Canada and Europe able to operate heir health care system in a much better way than the U.S?
Yes I know they overall pay for it in taxes, but if you look at the money we spend on healthcare vs the results - the United States healthcare is not the best in the world not even close. We are basically not getting the bang for the buck so to speak. Originally Posted by Luke_Wyatt
You do realize with only one provider, you just have to wait however long it takes to get your procedure done in those countries? Look up how long Canadians wait for testing we consider routine.
You do realize with only one provider, you just have to wait however long it takes to get your procedure done .... Originally Posted by DSK
One would think that a "disabled Vet" would know about "waiting"!

Unless, of course, the self-proclaimed "disabled Vet" hasn't ever been in a VA facility.
  • Old-T
  • 05-01-2017, 04:46 PM
Yours in the first proposal I have liked - has that been discussed in Washington? Originally Posted by DSK
It has been. How much traction it has gotten I do not know.
  • WTF
  • 05-01-2017, 04:55 PM
It has been. How much traction it has gotten I do not know. Originally Posted by Old-T
It gets hardly any...you have the Tea Party wing wanting the government out of their Medicare. Now I ask you, just how can one have an intelligent conversation about healthcare services and cost with such knowledgeable Tea Party Patriots?

• DSK
  • 05-01-2017, 05:01 PM
It has been. How much traction it has gotten I do not know. Originally Posted by Old-T
Well, it makes a great deal of sense, so hopefully it won't die out. I'm going to discus it with some health care providers I know.
  • WTF
  • 05-01-2017, 05:21 PM
Well, it makes a great deal of sense, so hopefully it won't die out. I'm going to discus it with some health care providers I know. Originally Posted by DSK
Asian soa workers are hardly classified as healthcare providers!

sad thing is the vets love their VA.
  • Old-T
  • 05-02-2017, 10:48 AM
sad thing is the vets love their VA. Originally Posted by dilbert firestorm
A lot of that depends upon where you are, and what services you need.

Some VA hospitals are actually pretty good--others are disgusting on their best days.

And if you have a situation that needs stable, relatively main-line treatment you can do pretty well at a VA. If you need a lot of cutting edge work, or have an undiagnosed issue, it can get pretty bad.
A lot of that depends upon where you are, and what services you need.

Some VA hospitals are actually pretty good--others are disgusting on their best days.

And if you have a situation that needs stable, relatively main-line treatment you can do pretty well at a VA. If you need a lot of cutting edge work, or have an undiagnosed issue, it can get pretty bad.
Originally Posted by Old-T
Similar to Post Offices ... they have a common denominator.