Americans Solidly with the Democrats on the Budget Crisis

I think the McConnell plan to succeed the power to the president is what most Republican constituents have issue with. I don't feel that any single person even if President should have the power to raise the debt ceiling.

"McConnell's plan, which would allow Republicans to avoid voting to raise the debt limit by essentially ceding authority to the president on the matter. (The proposal would authorize President Obama to raise the debt ceiling three times before the end of 2012 with the contingency that he identify trillions of dollars in possible cuts to federal spending to offset the increase in borrowing authority; Congress could vote on those cuts, but the president could also veto them.)"

Notice in the McConnell plan that President would have to identify POSSIBLE CUTS. Nothing in the plan says the cuts are mandatory. This is just a way to save face and blame the president. Congress has to stop the blame game and solve the problem. Both sides are responsible for this mess, and too many Americans are living by the example that the country has set. Who cares if you can't afford it just put it on credit, and then apply for federal dollars in Mortgage relief.

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2011/...in;contentBody

Notice in the McConnell plan that President would have to identify POSSIBLE CUTS. Nothing in the plan says the cuts are mandatory. Originally Posted by Fastcars1966

you have identified the whole issue in dealing with obama and the dems in any regard save the cut, cap and balance plan....if the balance part could ever come true

any "agreement" with obama is only as good as whatever the next congress will agree to do and then only if the then President will sign it...there is no way to secure any pledge against a future congress..its all smoke and mirrors

so pass the debt limit increase and have faith in obama to do the right thing based on some agreement? you know liberals have their own definitions for common words...words they speak they want the American people to hear and understand one way, they know among themselves it doesn't mean that....

cuts mean not as big an increase

Spending is not taxing enough

contribution doesn't mean voluntary

patriotism means tax

capital gains tax (doesn't mean a tax rate to compensate for mere inflationary change) means the rich aren't paying their fair share

Fairness means tax (they have so many words that mean tax)

Tax me more means "I work for the government and increase the producers in our country's tax so we can just get more"

For the Children can mean just about anything (tax, increase my salary, give me more retirement, whatever)

Working for the American people means organizing things to buy votes

Oh yeah, the Constitution doesn't mean anything except what we change our minds for it to mean when we decide..it lives ya know

i'm beginning to get ill
you have identified the whole issue in dealing with obama and the dems in any regard save the cut, cap and balance plan....if the balance part could ever come true

any "agreement" with obama is only as good as whatever the next congress will agree to do and then only if the then President will sign it...there is no way to secure any pledge against a future congress..its all smoke and mirrors

so pass the debt limit increase and have faith in obama to do the right thing based on some agreement?
you know liberals have their own definitions for common words...words they speak they want the American people to hear and understand one way, they know among themselves it doesn't mean that....

cuts mean not as big an increase

Spending is not taxing enough

contribution doesn't mean voluntary

patriotism means tax

capital gains tax (doesn't mean a tax rate to compensate for mere inflationary change) means the rich aren't paying their fair share

Fairness means tax (they have so many words that mean tax)

Tax me more means "I work for the government and increase the producers in our country's tax so we can just get more"

For the Children can mean just about anything (tax, increase my salary, give me more retirement, whatever)

Working for the American people means organizing things to buy votes

Oh yeah, the Constitution doesn't mean anything except what we change our minds for it to mean when we decide..it lives ya know

i'm beginning to get ill Originally Posted by nevergaveitathought

How many times has the ceiling been raised? Since March 1962, the debt ceiling has been raised 74 times, according to the Congressional Research Service. Ten of those times have occurred since 2001.
Expect more of the same over the next decade. Barring major changes to spending and tax policies, "Congress would repeatedly face demands to raise the debt limit," CRS wrote.

http://money.cnn.com/2011/01/03/news...faqs/index.htm