I Think We are Way Too Soft on (Real) Crime...

Currently the costs associated with death row appeals is footed by tax payers and is estimated to be 300% more than the costs associated with cases that end with a life WOPP conviction. and based on economics assessments by those doing that crap determined it's cheaper (in the longer run) to lock'um up than kill them.

And killing anyone who was wrongfully convicted alarms me

YES!!! I"M A LIBERAL!!! I wear it as a badge of honor Originally Posted by Frique-Me
For the record, I consider myself a Liberal, as well. And I am for doing everything possible to ensure that no one is wrongfully executed. But I am not a "bleeding heart". What CT is saying is that the system is flawed. We should pass laws that prohibit litigators from drawing out the appeals process. They do it under the guise of civil liberty, but make no mistake; it is a money machine. Limit the number of appeals and expedite the execution process and it won't be more cost effective to support them, at the taxpayers expense, for the rest of their lives. The death penalty will become a very real deterrent and the taxpayers will save a ton. Will there be collateral damage? Probably. Unfortunately. But I, for one, am willing to take that chance. Alluding to CT's automobile reference; it is the price of progress. Want to minimize the risk? Put some of the money saved into ensuring that the judicial process is competent. It damn sure isn't right now.
In Canada the RCMP get their man. If it is a cop killer, they shoot to kill and don't miss. If it is a multiple murderer, they shoot to kill. No one complains. Not even the most Democratic press!!!.

Why? I'll leave that for you to figure out. Really simple. People kill; not the weapon.