Dressing age appropriate for guys.

I agree with most of the previous posters...."every girl is crazy for a sharp dressed man"!
But, there is also dressing for the occasion. I love baseball at Wrigley Field, but, it's definitely not a slacks and silk shirt venue. I also love the opera here in Santa Fe, admittedly one of the more eclectic opera dress codes I've ever seen, gotta love Santa Fe, . But, even here, you don't see much denim at the opera.
My point being, dress the occasion and pay attention to detail. It's a jeans and t shirt venue? Cool. Are your jeans fit to your body style? Do you have decent shoes or kicks? Is your t shirt the right size for you, neither skin tight nor two sizes too sloppy big? You can spot a man who doesn't want to be prettier than his date but Does give a damn.
Interesting thread. I am a sucker for men in suits, although also the daniel craig look and the new metrosexual dress code gets me going. You guys have it easy :-).

I am not so much into the casual with the men. It`s easy enough being a man when it comes to travelling. I think they should put in some attention to detail, and that especially when getting older.

Like "shoes", suits, and propers t-shirts. In shoes I mean closed shoes, no flip flops, but leather and please for heavens sake never ever ever ever ever ever wear sports shoes unless you do sports, or plastic running shoes or anything related to that, specially with white socks. Its forgiven for the youngsters, but every guy above 30 looks awful in it, also on vacations.

So, unless you wear tight jeans and pink t-sirts, it`s classical style or the metrosexual artsy style that always goes for males any age.
  • Jaci
  • 10-25-2012, 04:05 AM
Well from a Country Girls point of view...
Cinch Heavy Starched Jeans
A Starched Crisp White monogramed Shirt
A Pair of Luchesse Square Toed Ostrich Boots
A Hat of Course Felt for the Winter & Straw for the Summer

Summer Time- Naked with Jaci skinny dipping in a pond somewhere drinking
a ice cold Bud-Lite!!!!!!

Come & Kiss Me, Jaci

[I]Summer Time- Naked with Jaci skinny dipping in a pond somewhere drinking[/I]

Come & Kiss Me, Jaci Originally Posted by Jaci
dammit that is HOT!

I may be 50,but screw it it,I still can rock those daisy dukes & tight white wifebeater!
Affliction shirts have been out of style for years!
No matter what your age, get rid of those shirts!
Affliction shirts have been out of style for years!
No matter what your age, get rid of those shirts! Originally Posted by stacy in kc
Awwwhhh heck, I still like them!

A personal shopper from Nordstrom's is free. Doesn't cost anything. If you're wishing to spruce up your look, I'm a big believer in Nordstrom's Rack. You just cannot go wrong in the man's section there.

Hope this helps!
Awwwhhh heck, I still like them!... Originally Posted by ElisabethWhispers
This certainly doesn't apply to you but my ex-wife used to tell me, "You look good in anything. It's nothing that doesn't hang well on you!"

I'm still in love with you, EW. Hope you're well.
Affliction? I thought this was a forum for people with good taste...
It is fairly simple as a guy to dress for work, but it is not so easy for social functions. How does one avoid douchebaggery in dressing while still giving the appearance of a man with style? Originally Posted by Meerschaum
I'm with Nina on this issue, and a lot of it is based on my region (East coast), job, age and background, but it starts with my approach to a session. To me a visit with a sporting lady is an event and I treat it as such and that includes how I dress. It also has to do with respect for the lady. I expect the lady to be well "undressed" with nice make up and hair, so for me to show up in shorts and a t-shirt seems a bit disrespectful.

The OP says it's easy to dress for work, so maybe he should start there. I still have to dress for work for out of the office events, which are many, so I am comfortable in a suit, still "invest" in good suits and look good in suits. I also know that a lot of women like men in good suits, and one grand dame of our local hobby scene says that she is strangely turned on by French cuffs, so I will wear French cuffs in the hopes that others share her quirky fetish. Still, the basic idea is to present the message that "our" time together and "you" are important to me.

Another advantage is that you look like you belong in a nicer hotel when you're wearing that power suit, so no one hassles or questions you.

On the occasions when I don't wear a suit I still try to project that this an event. This summer I went to Nordstrom's and bought some nice dress jeans and collared shirts which I wore with Italian loafers (no cowboy boots). The look may not be true GQ and more like suburban dude on a date, but it imparts the message that I care about the session.

You clothes can also be a conversation point. I also bought (on sale) a pink button down shirt from an old line clothier and paired (that's a fashion verb) with those fancy jeans and a blue blazer. When I went to see my date, a wonderful Brazilian girl, she laughed and said a lot Brazilian men would think that a pink shirt was gay, but she wasn't worried about me. I told her it was brand new and I wore it just for her. I don't know what impact it had but she and I had a marvelous time together.

I have a morning date scheduled later this week in a nice hotel in Philadelphia. I'll be wearing a dark blue chalk striped suit with a French cuffed shirt and silk tie. My black cap toed shoes will be highly polished. I'll bring nice pastries, coffee and fruit. I'll have the donation in a funny card and all of this is to project the message that I appreciate that she is going to share something special with me. If this makes the lady happy, relaxed and comfortable then good things will come my way.

Still you have to be flexible. If the lady is camped out at a mid level chain hotel near the airport I will be more casual because the suit will stick out. If you don't wear suits it would be silly to buy one just to hobby. And much of this is regional. Jaci's dream boat cowboy look, which projects the "I care message" in Texas, would be seen as affected in my hood.

I use to see a girl in Texas. She said Tommy Bahama was for old guys, so I don't buy that brand. She said she was going to take me shopping at Diesel. I'm not sure what Diesel is but I ain't ever going there.
This is the kind of dressing for a man I really like. It`s metrosexual, fashionable and cool. I think as for the casual point, if I were a guy, I`d wear either a business jacket with a nice T-shirt and casual jeans (or casual pants, doesn`t need to be Jeans, unless you can pull them off properly, Jeans are hard to wear for looking "good"), and that is it

Then combine an elegant leather jacket for even more casual, and here we go.

And Always always always wear shoes, never ever ever ever sandals. There are light fabriced shoes with pointed leather, so it feels like sandals.
Attached Images File Type: jpg neal-caffrey-style-tug-white-collar-2.jpg (143.3 KB, 102 views)
If you`re a tall and lean guy, you can even pull of the look below with the long jacket. It`s fancy though, but I think with a regular business jacket it looks normal and casual.
Attached Images File Type: jpg acctqsuj4ex3xeu.jpg (12.8 KB, 102 views) File Type: jpg 67905906850937117_DQNbommh_c.jpg (78.7 KB, 102 views)
If I looked like this guy, would it matter what I wore? He is wearing a dark blue suit, which I like and he's rocking a silk pocket square. But he's got to learn to keep his zipper tab under the flap. The devil is in the details.

And why do these model guys keep showing up with three days of beard? When I was younger my SO's would complain about stubble even after 12 hours. Have women become hardened to the abrasions caused by stubble?

But he's got to learn to keep his zipper tab under the flap. The devil is in the details.

And why do these model guys keep showing up with three days of beard? When I was younger my SO's would complain about stubble even after 12 hours. Have women become hardened to the abrasions caused by stubble?
Originally Posted by awl4knot
Hahahahaha that was a good catch!!!!!! I laughed so hard when you mentioned this, at first I did not even notice.... Bwahahahahaha. By the way, the guy is the main actor for "White Collar" , hot man, and I was googling his dress code, because I liked it.

I have no problem with stubble, you have to let it grow 3 days, then groom and it`s not "itching". The problem is, when you don`t shave just for a day or maybe two. A well groomed and softened stubble can make a boring face more intriguing. You don`t shave but keep it at the same length with a special razor, which also helps to soften the hair.

Also, a little peeling every once and a while keeps the skin younger... (lol)
My stubble would be white and gray so I'll pass on the look and cling to the illusion that my face is interesting if not arresting.

Nina, we have similar tastes. I too have an Italian plaid sports coat that I love and usually wear with jeans or khakis, but it also can go uptown with a nice shirt, tie and slacks. I also have a plaid shirt like the model's, but I don't have the panache of his stylist and am leery about being too busy. Maybe I'll see if it works for me.

I think that older guys wearing ratty jeans is wrong; I did that when I was in my 20's but now it's too contrived and not age appropriate.

I have a retro example of the long jacket. I have a 30+ year old Burberry trench coat that I wear like a sports coat since years of weight lighting (ha) have thickened my shoulders and chest and the coat is now cramped with a jacket underneath it. Here is the current $1,800 model. Mine was about $700, so I doubt that I would indulge in such an extravagance now. Trenches were out of style for a long time, so I'm glad that I kept the coat for the style's resurgence.

But to keep this on track, I would be comfortable wearing any of these outfits when seeing a provider since I think they fit my model of looking like you care, even if it's in a casual manner.

One other comment. This metro-sexual look used to be called the European look with thin, tight jackets and pants. We Americans thought we were too burly for that look and our clothes tend to be looser and more comfortable. I have never been comfortable with tight suit jackets and have always preferred a two button style, English style that was tapered in the waist but with plenty of room for my American big shoulders. I also read that pleated pants are making a limited comeback with American designers, usually on the higher end of their lines. Enough of that metro-sexual look!

Summer Time- Naked with Jaci skinny dipping in a pond somewhere drinking

Come & Kiss Me, Jaci Originally Posted by Jaci
Will full quill Roper's and Shiner Bock do?