iPhone 4

I've got both and the iphone is waaaaaay behind in the race and I doubt they will ever catch up
Ok, I've calmed down now. Work had me pissed off about the whole iPhone thing. Now I will try to be completely objective in all of my statements about cell phones/service for the holiday season.

No.1- If you bought a phone in the last 14 days either wipe it & return it or hold onto your receipt. Prices are gonna drop. So either you can get a better phone for the same money or a price adjustment. Just about all carriers (When I say carriers I only mean the big four AT&T, Sprint, T-Mobile, & Verizon) are required to have a 14 day grace period with no penalties.

Samsung (and I'm not talking "Galaxy") has higher quality imaging .... video has incredible clarity ... interface is instant (1-2 seconds on USB mode and then transfers like any memory stick)... both ways .. will upgrade with a 16 gigs card, which with the existing 13 gigs of internal memory gives almost 30 gigs total memory ... and I have all kinds of apps and software on mine and still have 95% unused/available space.

Don't get gadgets get a working phone ... then use it for gadgets. No ad, just reality. BTW: It's like the first model of a vehicle out on the market ... wait until the 2nd year to buy ... so they can get the bugs out. Have you seen the shit they're doing STILL with the G1 & Droid?! It's insane!!!

Also, you will discover that many of the 4 features still lack resources outside of certain metro areas, although increasing. Save your money until coverage is larger, unless, of course, you remain in the Houston metro area and don't venture out. Originally Posted by LexusLover
I bet you know what: Ubuntu, Maemo, & Chrome OS can do? I can't add external peripherals with Ubuntu in VirtualBox . Can ya help me out?
Sept 21 available is stores is what I heard on the radio Originally Posted by bashful1
Pre-Orders started today at 2am. There is now a two week back-order list. Besides buying from Wally World (buy here if you are EXTREMELY tolerant) or Amazon who has lower prices another way to save is to buy from a corp store & ask them to waive the upgrade fee. ($15-$32) Don't be a dick, but remind then of the finer points customer loyalty. Sprint will suck your dick for a contract. Clarification: Verizon Online & Corp stores charge the fee, but "Authorized Dealers" don't.
I got my girl the 4s and surri is a waste of time. Never ever use that feature but she likes the phone well enough. I got an iPad and I do like it a lot, anyone have good app selections I should try let me know. Originally Posted by trey
Apple will openly admit that SIRI is beta. It's NOT a finished product in the least.

Give me a second on the apps
Now you can hold out for the "6" ... due out next year.

Also, look at the fine print .... they need "adapters" for computer, etc, and recharge ... not interchangeable ... also the 4g coverage for the iphone is still being expanded and some providers are way behind.
Think real hard on about cell phones before 2009. Every manufacturer had it's own proprietary charger. LG, Samsung, Motorola, Nokia. You bought a new phone you're fucked. LG changed their charger every year. Apple staying with a single charger for so long was a blessing. But they stole the idea from RIM (They've only had two chargers their entire product life.)

BTW, just to dick everyone if you have a car with ipod connect, where the interface is controlled through the factory radio, that shit won't work anymore. So that beemer and benz radio upgrade just became worthless.
I can beef my Samsung up to almost 48 gigs ... but I settled for the 16 gig card .. and just use a usb to connect. Originally Posted by LexusLover
Isn't T-Mobile wining in the 4G department? I'm pretty sure they got it locked up on an international level, but state side I wonder who's doing it best between them and verizon... Originally Posted by Glynette
T-Mobile by true, hell even pseudo, definition doesn't have 'Faux' G. I'll get into this later.
Even if it is they don't have the iphone. Now its all about 4gLTE and normal 4g won't come in on phone with the LTE, you wind up with 3g. The new iphone should be LTE. Originally Posted by trey
If a sales person ever uses HSPA+ & 4G in the same sentence punch them in the throat.
Tell me when you guys are ready for me to dispel all that you think you know about: "Faux"G, adapters, SIRI (Surri is Tom&Katies kid), & the Sixth Gen iPhone that for some reason is named 5. Originally Posted by Dorian Gray
1."Faux"G: The true standard for 4G is 1GBit/sec download as defined by ITU. Then carriers basically bribed them into laxing the term mean anything with a significant bump is 4G. Though the standard by definition is still 1GB.

2. Adapters: Thank the Euro's for forcing cell phone makers to go with a standardized charger. It's law to have "One Charger To Rule Them All" over there. Euro will have a micro-usb adapt for more than 50% less what we're being charged to use old product. ($12 Euro, $30 US) We WON'T get the micro-adapt anytime soon.

3. SIRI: Yeah, it's beta as fuck, but still kinda funny to talk dirty to it.

4. iPhone(1), iPhone3G(2), iPhone3GS(3), iPhone4(4), Phone4S(5), iPhone5(6). Magically two is not a number, but S might be...

I know all I need to know about the "iPhone" period .... that's why I don't want one.

Someone asked about TMobile ... their deal fell through ... T-Mobile is European owned & they could give a rats ass about their U.S. stake. They MADE 3 billion off the failed buyout. CASH!!! Then another billion in spectrum AT&T had to give airwaves to T-Mo: Southern Cal, Houston, Washington, Northern Michigan, half Okie & Colorado. All T-Mo's over a fail. they are behind on coverage. Almost DFL. In anticipation of being merged into coverage they began dumping towers left and right by offering sweet deals on lease cancellations ... and awful deals on lease renewals. The marketing hype is makes the 2012 elections look like child's play. If you are in large metro areas or "popular" small metro areas you can have 4g coverage, but if you move in between or get up in the boonies some where you are SOL.True of any carrier. Less so of Verizon for right now. Originally Posted by LexusLover
I've got both and the iphone is waaaaaay behind in the race and I doubt they will ever catch up Originally Posted by tbone2u
From a tech standpoint. Yes. But from a it will WORK (as long as you hold it right) & your grandma can use it. They're fucking Ali. They also win in the whole you have to go OEM dept. Everything is damn near in house. iOS, OSx, AppStore. For the simple people being an iSheep means I don't have to think. It's got a glowing apple it's gonna work with XYZ with as a little learning curve as posible.

Though Google now has Android, Chrome OS, Play Store

& Microsoft's Window Phone 8, Windows *, Market
DG, pretty good information...... thanks
I always knew DG was good for something besides bringing the 1800
I have a droid and do like it for the most part. However when it comes to "issues" and I mean things from touch screen problems and the like my droid has had plenty while my 3+ year old iPhone3gs has had zero issues. Used it as an mp3 and web surfing this entire time even while having the droid and still no issues.

While all phones have their pros and cons I think it will always come down to what an individual's experience has been with a given product. Phones seem to be ymmv lol.
I'll be getting one...
Samsung just paid Apple $1 billion for copying the I-Phone. I Phone5 will be out on Sept. 21. 4G instead of 3G, slightly larger screen, new connectors (so your old I Pod, I Pad and I Phone connectors will no longer work). My wife bought an I Phone 4S 16 Gig from the Apple Store for $99 two days ago. Verizon still hasn't lowered their price on the 4S ($199). For my money, go to the Apple Store and get a 4S now. I like Surri. "Find a pizza restaurant". "I found several in your area"., Call home". "Calling home now". Not perfect, but still pretty amazing.
My BlackBerry Torch died on me 4 months ago and I ordered the iPhone 4s to replace it. I had been a loyal BB user for a number of years. I didn't know (or care) what all of the iPhone, Droid fuss was about. I certainly have no desire to chunk the 4s and order a 5.

I will admit that the iPhone 4s is a much better phone with lots of features, most of which I will never use. Knowing the way I am with cell phones, my next phone will probably be the iPhone 7 or 8.
My BlackBerry Torch died on me 4 months ago and I ordered the iPhone4s to replace it. Having been a loyal BB user for a number of years, I didn't know (or care) what all of the iPhone and Droid fuss was about.

I will admit that the iPhone 4s has many more features than the BB's. However, I doubt I will ever use most of those features. Knowing the way I am with cell phones, my next phone will probably be the iPhone 10.
The one issue I'm concerned about is adapter connectivity. I've got an integrated iPod connector in my car. Any news on adapter availability?
The one issue I'm concerned about is adapter connectivity. I've got an integrated iPod connector in my car. Any news on adapter availability? Originally Posted by TransAm
Adapter is available when the phone goes on sale. They were available during pre-orders...

That's not what your question should be though. It should be "is the new iOS 6 going to be backward compatible with the existing interface commands in cars"...no word on that yet...
Thanks Wakeup!
Samsung just paid Apple $1 billion for copying the I-Phone. I Phone5 will be out on Sept. 21. 4G instead of 3G, slightly larger screen, new connectors (so your old I Pod, I Pad and I Phone connectors will no longer work). My wife bought an I Phone 4S 16 Gig from the Apple Store for $99 two days ago. Verizon still hasn't lowered their price on the 4S ($199). For my money, go to the Apple Store and get a 4S now. I like Surri. "Find a pizza restaurant". "I found several in your area"., Call home". "Calling home now". Not perfect, but still pretty amazing. Originally Posted by seeker7
She bought the 4s from apple store with no contract or anything for $99?

Also are you with AT&T? Was she able to just plop in an att sim card and it work?
Adapter is available when the phone goes on sale. They were available during pre-orders...

That's not what your question should be though. It should be "is the new iOS 6 going to be backward compatible with the existing interface commands in cars"...no word on that yet... Originally Posted by Wakeuр
That is why I plan on using the 4 as an iPod in my car.
Samsung just paid Apple $1 billion for copying the I-Phone. I Phone5 will be out on Sept. 21. 4G instead of 3G, slightly larger screen, new connectors (so your old I Pod, I Pad and I Phone connectors will no longer work). My wife bought an I Phone 4S 16 Gig from the Apple Store for $99 two days ago. Verizon still hasn't lowered their price on the 4S ($199). For my money, go to the Apple Store and get a 4S now. I like Surri. "Find a pizza restaurant". "I found several in your area"., Call home". "Calling home now". Not perfect, but still pretty amazing. Originally Posted by seeker7
At least not with AT&T, if you want the 4s for 99 from AT&T you will either have to use your upgrade or get another line. You will have to do a new 2 year contract to get it at that price.