Is it possible to get a DUI if you are taking regular prescription medication?

If a medication, usually one that causes your senses to be impaired, warns against operating machinery or driving, then I suppose one could get arrested for DUI. Originally Posted by Jackie S
Yup! A few years ago a woman drove the the wrong way on an interstate under the influence of prescribed medication. She killed everyone in the car she hit and all of the children (hers and another's) who were riding with her. She also died. It's against the law to DUI of any drug: illicit or prescribed.
Well thanks for all the comments. I was digging around online and found some articles on this. Apparently people respond differently to different types of prescription medications and not everyone is impaired by all classes of medications. In addition prosectuing someone for a DUI who is taking legal prescriptions is actually quite difficult because there is no way to test or quantify the amount of drugs in a persons body that can be said to be an impairment since everyone's body is different. As well as the fact that people who take prescription medication build up tolerances to medications that are taken long term. In a couple of articles I found that if a person brings their prescription medication and has their doctor testify that they are not impaired on said medications then they can't be prosecuted. It looks like my friend might actually have less to worry about albeit he is paying the bills for an attorney and time in jail.

Here are some links if anyone is interested on the subject. DUI's and prescription medication

Facts about driving while on prescription medications

According to some of these articles even taking over the counter medication can land you in jail and with a DUI if they can show you were impaired.
Speaking of too much medication...... Originally Posted by timpage
...or ... not enough.
Well thanks for all the comments. Originally Posted by Stan.Dupp
Since you're in Europe ... take the train.
  • FU_CC
  • 01-02-2014, 12:00 PM
Speaking of too much medication...... Originally Posted by timpage
Or not enough, I'm not sure. Originally Posted by Chica Chaser
...or ... not enough. Originally Posted by LexusLover

... no wonder you people get SICK so MUCH and insurance policy so high... YOU Medicate yourself from NON SICKNESS into an incurable SICKNESS... who is trying to "REWIRE THE BRAIN"

btw ... I know about the PIN attempt .... news " Money Mike get arrested username: MikeCU... NO MONEY MIKE IS NOT MIKECU" after a post about using student(who require to have insurance at college) FINANCIAL AID for ACA too lower cost the young population into ACA
... no wonder you people get SICK so MUCH and insurance policy so high... YOU Medicate yourself from NON SICKNESS into an incurable SICKNESS... who is trying to "REWIRE THE BRAIN"

btw ... I know about the PIN attempt .... news " Money Mike get arrested username: MikeCU... NO MONEY MIKE IS NOT MIKECU" after a post about using student(who require to have insurance at college) FINANCIAL AID for ACA too lower cost the young population into ACA Originally Posted by FU_CC