Former drone operator says he's haunted by his part in more than 1,600 deaths

• Old-T
  • 06-07-2013, 08:38 AM
COG, not sure what your point(s) are.

Yes, war of any sort does very bad things to good young men and women who have to kill--something that haunts them the rest of their lives.

Yes, one can legitimately question whether all strikes were justified.

But you seem to go beyond that and have issues with drone attacks BECAUSE they are drones. That is complete BS. If you were outraged just as much by every infantryman, every special ops team, every A-10 or F-16 pilot, then I would probably not taken the time to post. Every one of those people--if that had been the weapon used--would have killed the three people just as dead. Somehow do you think it is more humane to slit your throat up close and personal, or less traumatic to shoot someone from 10 yards away and watch them die?

No, I think you put this article up because you think it is sensational and emotionally tugging, and you seem to be waging a personal war against drones. Personally, I d not like anyone dying in war, period. But there are times it will happen, and I would prefer MY guy is not the one who dies. Stick to pointing out we never should have gone into Iraq, I'll agree with you there. Argue whether we should still be in Afghanistan, there is lots of room for debate there. But when you rant that drone strikes are inherently more evil than the same killings done in a way that puts US troops at risk, you are wrong.
War is a horrible thing and leaves scars on people. No two people or experiences are the same. The "scorecard" idea was a particularly bad one in my opinion and could not possibly have served a good purpose. It's good that he can talk about it, bad if he becomes obsessed with it.

My son is a 13F, considering the ordnance he's called down and what he's seen through his binos his experience may be similar, tempered by incoming fire of course. The few times he's talked about it it's been in reference to the soldiers those rounds likely saved, and I'm grateful he sees it that way. That's the kind of "scorecard" this young drone driver should have gotten, how many he saved.
War is a horrible thing and leaves scars on people. No two people or experiences are the same. The "scorecard" idea was a particularly bad one in my opinion and could not possibly have served a good purpose. It's good that he can talk about it, bad if he becomes obsessed with it.

My son is a 13F, considering the ordnance he's called down and what he's seen through his binos his experience may be similar, tempered by incoming fire of course. The few times he's talked about it it's been in reference to the soldiers those rounds likely saved, and I'm grateful he sees it that way. That's the kind of "scorecard" this young drone driver should have gotten, how many he saved. Originally Posted by Iaintliein
It's sad, but each soldier will take the impact of what they're doing differently. It's really good your son can look on the positive side of what he's doing though as opposed to letting it get him down.
  • CJ7
  • 06-07-2013, 09:42 AM

My son is a 13F, considering the ordnance he's called down and what he's seen through his binos his experience may be similar, tempered by incoming fire of course. The few times he's talked about it it's been in reference to the soldiers those rounds likely saved, and I'm grateful he sees it that way. That's the kind of "scorecard" this young drone driver should have gotten, how many he saved. Originally Posted by Iaintliein
thank your son for his service

the rest was well said, +1
I understand this young mans anguish. But losing a step son in Iraq a few years ago to an IED makes me real bitter and cold to this situation.

If he saved just one American soldier, if he saved one American family from becoming a Gold Star Family, it's worth 10 times the number of those he killed.

Remember this, if they had the technology and the ability, they would exterminate us all.

We can either fight them in their own soil or we will fight them in ours.

I vote fight them on their soil.

Thank you for your service young man.

Hold your head up. Be proud.

Thank you for doing what you did to protect our Soldiers, my son and thousands of other sons and daughters.
I understand this young mans anguish. But losing a step son in Iraq a few years ago to an IED makes me real bitter and cold to this situation.

If he saved just one American soldier, if he saved one American family from becoming a Gold Star Family, it's worth 10 times the number of those he killed.

Remember this, if they had the technology and the ability, they would exterminate us all.

We can either fight them in their own soil or we will fight them in ours.

I vote fight them on their soil.

Thank you for your service young man.

Hold your head up. Be proud.

Thank you for doing what you did to protect our Soldiers, my son and thousands of other sons and daughters. Originally Posted by CountryGentleman35
My heartfelt condolences. I am literally crying as I type this. Bless him and your family.
COG, you need to re-read these posts the next time you're pondering an anti-drone rant.

Thanks to all who serve. Please accept my condolences on the loss of your step-son.
Thanks for explaining how you deal with your down syndrome. Originally Posted by Uncle Han

Timpage is right you are the dumbest mother fucker on the board ..Congrats you have made #1
COG, not sure what your point(s) are.
Originally Posted by Old-T
His only point is conveniently displayed on the very 'tippy top' of his tin foil hat!
I guess it's time for Whirly to pass the coveted ass shaped DIPSHIT OF THE YEAR CROWN!

What do you think Uncle

HANHANHANHANHANHANHANHANHANHAN HANHANHANHAN!!!!!M
I respect the soldier in question greatly. I have no idea how I would react in his situation. Nor would I disrespect the family who has experienced the loss of a child in this combat.

But these actions are not war. Only Congress can declare war. We have no defined objective. We have no definition of victory. We have no exit strategy. Our plan is to kill as many brown people as we can, and hope that some of them are terrorists. In the meantime, we are killing innocent men, women and children who are going about their daily lives. In a declared war with definable objectives, they could be considered collateral damage. In an undeclared, illegal war with no definable objectives, these are murders and crimes against humanity. Not to mention, counterproductive.

If we had a sensible border policy, and adequate security for our outposts around the world, we wouldn't need to be over there. The Muslims were happy killing each other before we started trying to mind their own business in the name of oil. If we left them alone, they would go back to that, and forget about us.

And fewer families would have to endure the empty chair at the Thanksgiving table.

But you call me unAmerican. Go figure.
Back in the day you were drafted now you volunteer. Some are proud to serve their country some to bitch about it.
Back in the day you were drafted now you volunteer. Some are proud to serve their country some to bitch about it. Originally Posted by i'va biggen
To Hanoi James, bitching and moaning is one of the few things he is good at! Bitching and moaning is kinda like a Bowel Movement, they both start with the letters BM and both come quite natural to HJ.
I remember watching my 12 y.o. nephew playing some violent video game about 15 years ago. I told him that "you know when we start fighting wars with these things their gonna' draft yo' ass."
Plywood Whiny, maybe if you had stepped up to defend America, you'd understand how wrong your droning drone rants are.

You do a lot of bitching without presenting alternatives, solutions, he'll, even half-assed ideas.

Here's one ... Go to Salina!