Herpes and the Hobby

Wow - Sorry this happened to you.

Just curious - Did the provider have anything crazy going on down there?

Did you see Broccili or a Cauliflower? Originally Posted by BrownSugarBaby
Herpes can be dormant and although there may not be a visual sign(s), the carrier can be in a "shedding" stage where sexual partners are most susceptible to having it transmitted to them. In a nutshell, one can't determine if their partner carries the virus simply by looking and not noticing broccoli or dramatic signs. Depending on one's immune system, outbreaks may or may not show up until years later, and some folks are just "shedders" and don't get apparent blisters.

...that said, (Addressing the OP) you could have been carrying the virus before intercourse with the provider.

1 out of every 4 people carry the virus. Knowledge is power! Looking at ones genitals when it comes to herpes is not effective. If there's broccoli growth, or a tree growing out someone's ass, it's likely a different STD (curable) . Herpes is forever and unfortunately silent and not always visually detected.
But…OP… it can't be worse than getting Ebola. Or can it?
Either way it's a big concern and not one you take lightly. Makes you wonder about those who make light of it what their status is. I test after an encounter to be sure I'm still alright. I'm also paranoid of some providers who take a long break then state I'm back and better than ever!! I'm probably reading too much into it, but hey that's just me!
Either way it's a big concern and not one you take lightly. Makes you wonder about those who make light of it what their status is. I test after an encounter to be sure I'm still alright. I'm also paranoid of some providers who take a long break then state I'm back and better than ever!! I'm probably reading too much into it, but hey that's just me! Originally Posted by Boriqua
I'm not quite connecting how taking a break correlates with risky behavior or having STDs .
I'm guessing he correlates taking a "break" as to having an outbreak of sores or whatever you get when you have an STD like herpes. And when a provider says she's back, it means no more opens sores or whatever the problem may have been. But I'm just guessing that's what he meant by the comment.
Either way it's a big concern and not one you take lightly. Makes you wonder about those who make light of it what their status is. I test after an encounter to be sure I'm still alright. I'm also paranoid of some providers who take a long break then state I'm back and better than ever!! I'm probably reading too much into it, but hey that's just me! Originally Posted by Boriqua
Yeah. That's a big stretch...
I'm guessing he correlates taking a "break" as to having an outbreak of sores or whatever you get when you have an STD like herpes. And when a provider says she's back, it means no more opens sores or whatever the problem may have been. But I'm just guessing that's what he meant by the comment. Originally Posted by Riverstone
Yes that's what I'm saying, not saying that's right, just saying I'm that paranoid about it...

Ideally a provider would need to be certified and be checked regularly, even then it's not guaranteed right, but it's something. You would think clients keep tabs on their health but I'm guessing it's not much of a thought for about half of them, putting providers and fellow hobbyists at risk....Not something you want to run for congress on, but it's a thought!
  • oeb11
  • 10-22-2014, 05:02 PM
Let's correct a couple of "misinformations" - yes- I have medical training. Two types of herpes (herpes simplex virus) 1 and 2 - almost all folks have type 1 - causes oral cold sores and does not recur if genital area is infected with type 1. Type 2 recurs in the genital area, but not the oral area. Initial or primary infection can be accompanied by fever, aches, and swollen lymph nodes in the genital area. Sometimes sores appear over the genital area, sometimes just one sore. These are characterized by blisters which rupture and heal by scabbing over. Blisters are contagious of HSV, healed ones usually not.
Recurrences can occur; some patients may have none and be asymptomatic. as was mentioned, viral shedding can by contagious without symptoms in some patients.
HSV recurrences are usually small localized blisters - which may be accompanied by a "prodrome" of pain/itching of an oncoming outbreak.
These are not "warts" or "polyps"; genital warts are caused by Human papilloma virus and are also communicable with direct contact. These appear as common wart like excresences. Polyps are not usually cutaneous - they are seen in mucosal surfaces such as the oral cavity and GI tract. Polyps are generally not viral mediated.
Is HSV in the genital area worse then Ebola - well- Ebola can be 70% fatal. HSV is not - exceptions -pregnant women with primary HSV2 infection ( the fetus), or severely immunosupressed patients.
At least 1/4 of the adult US population has HSV2 - most are asymptomatic and many do not know they have the virus.
managment- no cure or vaccine. 3 anti-viral drugs are available for oral use - for severe outbreaks or frequent recurrence for suppression. Does suppression reduce transmission - possibly somewhat. Does taking oral suppression by an uninfected person with an infected partner stop transmission - unknown. Risks of these drugs are negligible. most patients do not need these medications.
Condoms - recommended but not a perfect answer - HSV2 can recur in areas uncovered by condoms and can be transmitted.
HSV2 is a disease like cold sores of the oral cavity - which is a nuisance. As it can be sexually transmitted, it is more of an emotional than physical disease in many patients. HSV2 can be managed, lived with, and a productive life lived with a committed partner. Having normal children is completely probable with medical management of pregnancy of an infected woman.
For more information- Google Herpes simplex virus type 2 and read the reputable medical information on the internet doctor sites. Web MD and others such as that.
Other resources at the county public health offices and STD treatment centers.

No- I will not entertain questions or PM's. Please do not ask or send PM's.
I hope this information is helpful in clearing up some misinformation about HSV2.
oeb11
No- I will not entertain questions or PM's. Please do not ask or send PM's. Originally Posted by oeb11
Yea, about that. Don't worry.
Did the fellow eat the goodies....
1 out 4 people has the herps! So is it safe to say that out of the 20 people responded here 5 people has it?
1 out 4 people has the herps! So is it safe to say that out of the 20 people responded here 5 people has it? Originally Posted by cush
at least!!!

Actually it is 1 out of 4 females and 1 out 14 males. The CDC lists it as 1 out of 6 people. Last year the stats were divided by gender. I don't know why they changed it.

I think the OP is the first person I can remember in the last 14 years of reading these boards that has admitted getting or having it.

Kudos for having that courage. Condoms are largely ineffective because often the infected area is around the pelvis, testicles, or anus.

Folks do not think this is the only case out there. I would bet if I could grab 20 people males and females from this community and test them, the stat would be triple the national average. I just don't think I would get that many individual's consent even it were kept anonymous.
To the OP, I see you were last on here two days ago, how did the Wifey take the news?
at least!!!

Actually it is 1 out of 4 females and 1 out 14 males. Originally Posted by Glenn Quagmire
I hope you're not suggesting it's time to start playing for the other team, LOL..
  • EZ.
  • 10-31-2014, 09:21 PM
at least!!!

Actually it is 1 out of 4 females and 1 out 14 males. The CDC lists it as 1 out of 6 people. Last year the stats were divided by gender. I don't know why they changed it.

I think the OP is the first person I can remember in the last 14 years of reading these boards that has admitted getting or having it.

Kudos for having that courage. Condoms are largely ineffective because often the infected area is around the pelvis, testicles, or anus.

Folks do not think this is the only case out there. I would bet if I could grab 20 people males and females from this community and test them, the stat would be triple the national average. I just don't think I would get that many individual's consent even it were kept anonymous. Originally Posted by Glenn Quagmire
People can have herpes and be able to transmit it and never know they have it or have any evidence of it. There is a blood test that will accurately tell if you have herpes. If you have an open sore, they can get a sample with a cotton swap and test it. I have my blood tested every two months for other reasons. My doctor is aware of my life style and checks me for STDs also. So far, I'm fortunate but also cautious.

I won't dismiss everything that the CDC has to say but their credibility is at question. They are the ones that predicted a heterosexual AIDS epidemic. They are also the ones that have been disseminating bad information concerning Ebola.