The rights of parents/kids as it relates to Social Media

Tushy, I hear there is a thing called sarcasm.
There is no guarantee that they will even turn into human being, and ample evidence to the contrary. Originally Posted by pjorourke

I agree - precisely why I'll never have them. Awesome parents can end up with two lovely children and one miserable child that causes them a life time of grief. But we should be giving them as good a footing as possible. Even those that wouldn't turn out well even with the best parents, can you imagine how much worse they'd be if raised in horrible circumstances?
I'm going to try and translate what I hope was simply a tongue-in-cheek, sarcastic remark re: Children having NO rights.

Children in a family certainly have basic rights. They have the right to a nurturing home where learning is encouraged. They have a right to a decent, nutritious meal to make them healthy. They have a right to be loved and accepted. They have a right to be a kid and play and develop their social skills for when they get older. Nobody disputes these rights.

However, kids do NOT have the right to demand things of their parents. They do not have the right to designer clothes, cell phones, XBox 360s, and new cars. They do not have the right to decide what they are going to do, when they are going to do it and how they are going to do it; at least not living under my roof. Kids do not have the right to blackmail their parents, relatives, and peers using whatever means necessary to get out committments, events, chores, etc. They do not have the right to McDonalds 5 times a week, riding in a Toyota Highland with 2 DVD systems and their own radio/CD setup in the back seat so they don't have to participate in family time while riding on a trip. Kids do not have the right to demand things be their way; ever. When they are 18 or over, living on their own, they can begin to choose to do things their way. One can only hope by that point that they have been raised with good enough values that they may feel the same way with their kids.

In summary:
Basic Needs: Check
Frivolous, Self-Centered Crap: Nope

I think this would be a good translation. Just my .02 worth.
Thank you, Ken!

The child's rights do not entitle them to run around unchecked. Too many are doing that very thing. I worked with kids years ago and that experience is/was the best birth control ever created.

However, kids do NOT have the right to demand things of their parents. They do not have the right to designer clothes, cell phones, XBox 360s, and new cars. They do not have the right to decide what they are going to do, when they are going to do it and how they are going to do it; at least not living under my roof. Kids do not have the right to blackmail their parents, relatives, and peers using whatever means necessary to get out committments, events, chores, etc. They do not have the right to McDonalds 5 times a week, riding in a Toyota Highland with 2 DVD systems and their own radio/CD setup in the back seat so they don't have to participate in family time while riding on a trip. Kids do not have the right to demand things be their way; ever. When they are 18 or over, living on their own, they can begin to choose to do things their way. One can only hope by that point that they have been raised with good enough values that they may feel the same way with their kids.

In summary:
Basic Needs: Check
Frivolous, Self-Centered Crap: Nope

I think this would be a good translation. Just my .02 worth. Originally Posted by KenAdams
All true. Their legal rights only cover those things. Dealing with a spoiled child is a matter of parenting - don't spoil them in the first place. Hard to turn back the clock on brat-hood.

Interestingly I watch parents spoil and coddle kids when they're two to five because it's cute. Then the preteen and teen years are horrible and they can't figure out why. The same behaviour in a five year old isn't cute in an older child, so don't encourage it when they're young.

On the other hand, sometimes the best parents can't help their horrid children. There is a balance between nature and nurture, and nature every now and then outdoes all the nurturing you can throw at them.

Ever notice how young adults are living with their parents late into their late twenties and early thirties these days? I got together with a bunch of people I went to high school with, about fifteen of them. I was the only one with my own apartment - to which I replied: Jeeze, aren't you tired of having sex in cars and cheap motel rooms?

All of them seem to want to move into the spacious house in the suburbs as their first home... not realizing that their parents didn't have that as their first home. Most started with a cheap one bedroom apartment, but it was THEIR apartment. Indeed, it's a generation of unrealistic standards.