I screwed up. I need advice on a hobby phone.

Last time I locked my phone she wanted to know what I was hiding.
I will call the carrier and have her number blocked and no more taking the a phone into a strip club.
Mine is unlocked but use Google voice via Web browser. I however don't go to sc.
pilot4u2.0, Say What, bored@home, nillawafer, GoAheadMkMyDay, Bestman200600, johnnylongcaulking, brownsugarbaby, and BigTex77 Thank you for sharing your experiences and advise. I will be getting a hobby phone, I am seeing some provider showcases that say do not contact using google voice. I don't know why they don't like it. Could this be an expanding problem in the future? So I will get a hobby phone and keep it lock in the tool bag on my bike or velcro it under the seat of my truck. Originally Posted by Remote
You are welcome Remote.

Some providers don't like GV because it makes it harder to screen hobbyists via cell phone number. Also, there are a handful of gentlemen who use GV and/or burner numbers to stalk or harass providers. In essence, obtaining multiple burner numbers is very easy and it helps the user maintain absolute anonymity at the same time.

If you are able to show a provider your references from other reputable providers, then using GV wouldn't be a problem. Just make it clear that you are trying to keep your anonymity due to your SO and that you saw GV as the best way possible to do this.

Hope this helps!
Remote: I know the feeling. I use to use my main cell phone and got caught with dirty messages. A hobby phone is okay. I keep it fully charged, in my ride turned off. When I get the urge, that's the phone I use. And most prepaid cell phones only take cash and you only need about $10-$25 a month. And yes, never take your phone into strip clubs. Sucks, but I know what your going through.
Last time I locked my phone she wanted to know what I was hiding. Originally Posted by Remote
Sounds like she is already paranoid/suspicious. You better be careful if she isn't trusting of you to start with.

But yes, lock your phone! If she wants to know why you're locking it, it's because one of your co-workers lost his unlocked phone and hackers got his passwords or info. There are plenty of non-cheating reasons to lock your phone. Just give her one of them.

As others have mentioned, use google voice or get a tracfone.
  • jwood
  • 12-07-2013, 07:28 AM
You at least need to meet her once OTC for all your trouble.
You at least need to meet her once OTC for all your trouble. Originally Posted by jwood
Yes...let's move on to the friends with benefits offer. You can't let that gift just sit under the tree unopened! Go see her otc and report back!
+1 for google voice, but don't use their app use a third part one especially on an android phone. Using the actual Google Voice app will integrate with your phone if it's a newer version of android. Which you don't want

I use an app called GV Phone for android that connects to my google voice number attached to my hobby gmail account. When I want to use the hobby phone I open the app and sign into my google account (I don't leave it signed in in case the SO opens the app somehow), when I don't want to use it I sign out and close the app. I also use the App Locker program to prevent anyone without the password from opening settings, application manager, and GV Phone without the code, just in case.

No carrier logs for GV phone usage other than some undefined data use.

It's free and IMO easier than having a dedicated hobby phone

Never had any provider have a problem with a GV phone number but if I meet one I'll move on to the next hooker who minds her business regarding my own personal operational security
Go to Walmart
If you use a burner phone, don't bother to hide it. Just tell your SO you use it to advertise stuff for sale (bike parts etc) and don't want your real number subject to spammers and unwanted calls or to be traced to your address (theft risk). All perfectly legitimate reasons for that small expense.
I got a trac fone at a superstore. Loaded it it up for over 12 months and about 1000 minutes. That's plenty for me. ( .3 minutes/text.) I used to have a net zero and would have to load it up ever 90 days. This is much easier and less hassle. If the wife finds it, my story is I found in the parking lot at work and will drop it in lost and found in the morning. When I register I use a common use computer and give no info. Pay cash too.
"Chief, shouldn't we lower the cone of silence?"
Someone with more knowledge than me needs to compile this info into a coherent post and make it a sticky for all to read. I have been hobbying since before cell phones and never felt the need for a hobby phone until now. This should serve as a warning that the unexpected cancatch up with you. Also a little prevention is worth a pound of cure.
I have never had a hobby phone. I usually go to strip clubs and take care of business there. When one of the ladies gives me her phone number we normally write it down on a piece of paper. Then put that number in the secure section of my computer and get rid of the paper.

The other day I removed my phone from my pocket and put it on the table so I could enjoy a nice HJ from a very attractive (8.5 or 9) and after the dance was over, she sat on my lap with her back to me for a little while. She then leaned back and whispered in my ear "I put my number in your phone and called my phone so I have your number. Call me so we can have a good time without anyone around" I was stunned to say the least. I said how much and she said "Nothing unless you want to pay one or two of my bills. We can just be friend with benefits." She got up winked at me and left for the dressing room.

I only have time to play when I get unexpected time off work or the weather is nice and tell the SO I'm going out for ride on my Harley and will back in a couple of hours. So if it's local it's probably not planned in advance.

I did not call her but she has texted me 3 times in 5 days. So far the text are just "Hi Tom" (this is the name I use at clubs when dancers ask what's your name) The SO heard may phone text bell go off at 9:30 last night, picked up the phone and said "Who is S**** and why does she think your name is Tom" I said "S**** is really hot 19 yr old stripper that wants me really bad, she has daddy issues, and loves old bikers." The SO said "Bull Shit, no young girl wants you. You know who it is or the name would not be in your phone. So who is it?" I told her it was one of the new people at the office and she probably texted me by mistake since everyone at the office has my contact number. I typed in a text and pretended like I sent it. The SO was satisfied and disaster was averted.

Summary: I need advise on a hobby phone. Where is the best deal on a hobby phone, minutes and carrier. I know to buy a prepaid credit card with cash and use that to pay for the phone and minutes. How do I register it so I does not come back to me? Appreciate any advise.

BTW, Yes I know I was stupid to let her get her hands on my phone and then let the SO do get her hands on my phone. Bash away, I deserve it.

PS: If you have ever had any experience of this nature, please share, so I don't feel like the only idiot on here. Originally Posted by Remote
When she said she put her number in your phone, why didn't you delete it immediately?

If her name S**** pops up, there is no way to deny it is stored on your phone. But if only her 10 digit phone number popped up, you could have said it was a wrong number.

Better yet, after she texted you 3 times in 5 days, you should have told her you weren't interested. Never let a provider be in charge. Lay down the ground rules and cut them off.
  • BLM69
  • 12-08-2013, 03:30 PM
GV from a browser is the way to go, I text for all my visits and have had the same number for a few years already.

Providers will text specials or just to ask when ill be visiting again, it's not a issue since I receive the messages once I log in.

If you have the app make sure you know how to use it correctly, always have it on "do not disturb" unless you're waiting for a provider to call.