Providers: What would you do if a client bought you a ROLEX / Hobbiests would you buy your ATF a ROLEX

I gather that you actually love watches. Functional art in many instances. On the high end or low end. Everyone should keep a respectable number around IMO. My current favorites are moonphases and old LED's from the 70's. I cant imagine going out for the evening without a thoughtfully chosen style of watch. Originally Posted by Joel Goodson
My first "real job" out of college was the manufacturing supervisor at Texas Instruments LED watch division. We had an assembly line operation like the car line making 30,000 per day. It was very "high tech" to have a watch that lite up at night. With EVERYTHING on Blackberry's ,etc it's one of many things becoming obsolete due to high tech progress. ALL watch sales have plummeted over the years.....especially the high end stuff.
Actually, watches are and continue to be a good investment

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/03/18/fa...awauction.html

Sorry, but if a TImex or a Seico is what you wear, you're not getting a return, but if a Tag, Patek PHillipe, Rolex, etc is what you wear... As a personal note, the jeweler I go to here in Austin to get my Tag battery changed always wants to buy my watch for what I paid for it 14 years ago, I'd say that's a pretty good investment in a watch.
Wow, I would say "Thank you very much" and treasure it always. Originally Posted by Crystalkitty
Ditto! I have received many lovely tokens of appreciation and each one is special. From cuttings from a garden, bottles of wine and food to be shared, artwork and jewelry that will last a life time, to even easter eggs.

The most treasured are the ones that have a special meaning behind them. Some enjoy the receiving, and some, the giving!
It feels better when ya share the love!
Tess
Actually, watches are and continue to be a good investment

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/03/18/fa...awauction.html

Sorry, but if a TImex or a Seico is what you wear, you're not getting a return, but if a Tag, Patek PHillipe, Rolex, etc is what you wear... As a personal note, the jeweler I go to here in Austin to get my Tag battery changed always wants to buy my watch for what I paid for it 14 years ago, I'd say that's a pretty good investment in a watch. Originally Posted by dammit
Fourteen years ago, your money was worth approximately twice what it is now. So if you're being offered exactly what you paid, your watch has depreciated in value by 50%. I don't know much about investing, but that doesn't sound like a great one.

And to answer the question, even if I had the means to buy a rolex for an ATF, I probably wouldn't. I prefer giving gifts that are meaningful, not just ridiculously expensive. I mean, at that point, why not just give her $10k and let her spend it how she wants?
I would not buy one for myself, much less anyone else. Originally Posted by Big Jake

Howdy, Folks!

Wearing a watch - and actually checking it - indicates someone else's time is more valuable than your own.
I know clients buy gifts for you fabulous providers from time to time so I was wondering, what exactly would you do if one of your clients bought you a ROLEX watch?

Hobbiests, do you have an ATF you care enough about to buy an elaborate gift such as a ROLEX watch? Originally Posted by CALIFORNIAN
I "heart" you, Californian. It's beautiful. Maybe this thread should be re-filed under Diamonds and Tuxedos since it references an expensive gift?

Glad to see you on these boards

Angelina
Ditto!
The most treasured are the ones that have a special meaning behind them. Some enjoy the receiving, and some, the giving!
It feels better when ya share the love!
Tess Originally Posted by Topshelf Tess

TT love your comment. This is so true! You really get it.
I would be so flattered and greatful for the generous gift. I would accept it and wear it every day as a constant reminder that my client/friend loves me and adores me!!!
I "heart" you, Californian. It's beautiful. Maybe this thread should be re-filed under Diamonds and Tuxedos since it references an expensive gift?

Glad to see you on these boards

Angelina Originally Posted by Angelina Adams
Hi AA

It is beautiful and so are you, both inside and out.

xoxo
  • Booth
  • 04-03-2010, 08:49 AM
Is it just me or does this thread suddenly feel very uncomfortable?
Is it just me or does this thread suddenly feel very uncomfortable? Originally Posted by Booth
It's just you
  • Booth
  • 04-03-2010, 09:10 AM
Time will tell. Have you given any other gifts you'd like to publicize?
maybe its just me. but i didnt think the idea of the "rolex" was what he meant as much as just the idea of an extavagant gift and how would you ladies react to such a gift albeit a watch or a Bentley (jk). crystal , i dont know you , but you sound as gracious as you are beautiful. Is it possible to be a WK without ever being in her "castle".
maybe its just me. but i didnt think the idea of the "rolex" was what he meant as much as just the idea of an extavagant gift and how would you ladies react to such a gift albeit a watch or a Bentley (jk). crystal , i dont know you , but you sound as gracious as you are beautiful. Is it possible to be a WK without ever being in her "castle". Originally Posted by knotty man
Thank you knotty man, you are correct. That is exactly my intent.
Is it just me or does this thread suddenly feel very uncomfortable? Originally Posted by Booth
I am with you. If a hobbyist gave me a fancy gift, I would bashfully and gratefully accept it. If he then went on to write a public post about his gift so that he could get more pats on the back, I would be embarrassed enough for the both of us....which is good, because this seems shameless.

But I guess my momma didn't raise me right.