RIP Eddie Van Halen

If you have satellite radio, channel 27 has been turned into The Van Halen tribute channel. All Van Halen, all day
They had a few songs with DLR as lead during the mid 80's that were ok. Nothing special in my opinion.

Hank, I caught you in a historical screw up. I think.

You said it was 1978 when Van Halen opened for Sabbath.. I got that, but ''and the cradle will rock'' didn't come out until 1980. You have some 'splanin' to do.

By the way, What is up with the missing line in that song, now? I remember when there was a line where DL Roth says ''have you seen Junior's grades''?

But for years, when Heard on the radio, at least, that part is edited out.... Originally Posted by Chung Tran
In a David Lee Roth interview he said due to extensive playing before they hit that Van Halen had most of the songs on VHII either written, played or recorded when the initial VH album came out.

I've never heard 'have you seen Junior's grades' editted out. Then again a bunch of songs have had words, phrases and sections editted out. Some due to censorship, others probably for time constraints or legal reasons.
They had a few songs with DLR as lead during the mid 80's that were ok. Nothing special in my opinion. Originally Posted by winn dixie
Oh Winn Dixie
Ever the contrarian. Lol
What makes your Favorites?

Camptown Races
Oh! Suzzana
And
When Johnny comes Marching home again
Oh Winn Dixie
Ever the contrarian. Lol
What makes your Favorites?

Camptown Races
Oh! Suzzana
And
When Johnny comes Marching home again Originally Posted by Hank3fan
Winn Dixie's a Stephen Foster fan, his tastes run a good century before Dylan.

I will say the Mormon Tabernacle Choir's rendition of ''Beautiful Dreamer'' is sublime.
Slash Angus Don Felder and Joe Walsh much better
Slash Angus Don Felder and Joe Walsh much better Originally Posted by winn dixie
All great guitarist. Funny you mention Don Felder. We were talking about him being one of the most underrated guitarist in rock history the other day.
That being said probably the only guitarist better than Eddie

Jimi Hendrix and
Stevie Ray Vaughn

Again all great guitarists but nothing like Eddie. Eddie changed the playing field when it comes to great guitar players.
All great guitarist. Funny you mention Don Felder. We were talking about him being one of the most underrated guitarist in rock history the other day.

Jimi Hendrix and
Stevie Ray Vaughn

Again all great guitarists but nothing like Eddie. Eddie changed the playing field when it comes to great guitar players. Originally Posted by Hank3fan
It comes down to taste, like many things.
Felder and Walsh are great on their own. But when they were together it was magical
Want to add this--Long live Angus
Went to see a “Dead” concert with some friends in Philly at the old Spectrum. Don’t remember the year. I can barely remember yesterday. There was some unknown band named Van Halen opening for them. They absolutely killed it. I was so pumped up I left after 3 dead songs. Oddest mismatch of bands I’ve ever seen.

Jimi Hendrix and
Stevie Ray Vaughn

Again all great guitarists but nothing like Eddie. Eddie changed the playing field when it comes to great guitar players. Originally Posted by Hank3fan
Jeff Beck, Eric Clapton, Jann Akkerman, Pete Townsend, Brian May, and Keith Richards would like to have a word with you.
Jeff Beck, Eric Clapton, Jann Akkerman, Pete Townsend, Brian May, and Keith Richards would like to have a word with you. Originally Posted by TexTushHog
Seconded Brian May
Jeff Beck, Eric Clapton, Jann Akkerman, Pete Townsend, Brian May, and Keith Richards would like to have a word with you. Originally Posted by TexTushHog
Love all those guys. The Stones are probably my favorite band. And Cream definitely in my top 10. But out of all those guys the only one you can look at and say wow he definitely changed the way people play (much like Eddie Van Halen) is Jeff Beck. Beck is Probably the fourth face I’d put on the mt Rushmore along with Hendrix, Vaughn, and Van Halen.

P.S. Best concert I ever saw was a Double Bill Jeff Beck & Stevie Ray Vaughn. ‘89 in Houston at a relatively small venue. Me and my buddy had 6th row center seats. At the time I was already a huge Stevie Ray fan but that’s where I Really learned about Jeff Beck.

And you have to look past personal taste Winn D. I can make a case that Glenn Danzig (in his prime) is a better singer than Freddie Mercury, but that’s just because I like Danzig more than I like Queen. But when it comes down to analytical thinking I know Freddie is the better singer.
Just a 80 s hair band - in my opinion the only good song was Runin with the devil
Just a 80 s hair band - in my opinion the only good song was Runin with the devil Originally Posted by rexdutchman
If Van Halen is a hair band, Poison is Death Metal.
Not an expert by any means, but EVH was arguably the best IMO. The most underrated IMO, would easily be Prince. I saw Frampton late 80’s in a NJ shore bar I was working at on weekends. He still had it....just not his hair.