ABORTION, WENDY DAVIS AND AMERICAN WOMEN.......

The percentage of abortions is meaningless; it (pro life) is a moral argument....

So Wendy Davis would support abortions after 20 weeks with the exception of rape and incest?

Why doesn't she offer up alternative legislation ?
  • CJ7
  • 07-02-2013, 01:02 PM
and I'd like to see everyone stfu and leave it to the woman that's involved and nobody else
and I'd like to see everyone stfu and leave it to the woman that's involved and nobody else Originally Posted by CJ7
...... I feel the same way about firearms .... women or men.
Yep; the same can be said with almost every other issue that government puts sticks it's nose in......

...... I feel the same way about firearms .... women or men. Originally Posted by LexusLover
Is it just the woman? You have to admit that biology has a lot to say about this but you have to admit that a man is involved somewhere along the way. Where are his rights preserved? A man can be forced to pay for a child even if he did everything right but the woman lied, made a mistake, or did it intentionally. Somewhere in there is the rights of the man even if he doesn't want to be a father.

As for the morality of the issue; even a radical like Pete Singer believes abortion should be legal but not after 20 weeks. Ms Davis is outside the norm. Singer admits that abortion kills a child and he readily accepts that. His standard is that a fetus that can feel pain should have it's rights considered and that is 20 weeks. So now you will complain and snark but now you can answer to a recognized philosopher (even if I don't agree with this loon on much)
Interesting about Pete Seeger; he has a sound reason for opposing abortions after 20 weeks - fetus can feel pain (and presumably pleasure?). And the 20 weeks is based on current scientific understanding of fetus development and pain...You can bet as science progresses we will find out that the fetus can feel pain much earlier, maybe 15 weeks. It is believed hearing responses can occur as early as 15 weeks.

As for the morality of the issue; even a radical like Pete Singer believes abortion should be legal but not after 20 weeks. Ms Davis is outside the norm. Singer admits that abortion kills a child and he readily accepts that. His standard is that a fetus that can feel pain should have it's rights considered and that is 20 weeks. So now you will complain and snark but now you can answer to a recognized philosopher (even if I don't agree with this loon on much) Originally Posted by JD Barleycorn
Pete SINGER, not Seeger. Singer is an Austratlian born "philosopher" who is a radical leftist, equates people with animals, thinks that sex with animals is okay (as long as it is not harmful), and thinks euthanasia is fine by him.
  • WTF
  • 07-03-2013, 09:15 AM
The percentage of abortions is meaningless; it (pro life) is a moral argument....

So Wendy Davis would support abortions after 20 weeks with the exception of rape and incest?

Why doesn't she offer up alternative legislation ? Originally Posted by Whirlaway
Yea, like the GOP led congress would let her offer up alternative legislation.

The real question is why Perry and company would not make that exception?

One side is talking about the 20 weeks and the other is talking about the shutting down of most all clinics.

What Perry is doing is shutting down clinics for all but the rich and covering his ass with this 20 week charade.
One side is proposing legislation the other is opposing it................

Side A wants to protect the right to infanticide at 20 weeks; the other wants to legislate it away. The rest is gorilla dust..........

Even in Davis's filibuster she never said; "let's comprise, my side agrees that infanticide at 20 weeks + is wrong and will agree with changing the law, but let's leave the clinics alone"..............
In terms of pain perception, it's not actually a commonly accepted scientific theory that fetuses are capable of feeling pain at 20 weeks, only that it could be possible. It's generally more accepted that it can't feel pain until the third trimester / 26 weeks, and some studies even suggest that the capacity for functional perception of pain doesn't exist until 29 or 30 weeks.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neonatal_perception

This is just regarding the pain issue, not saying if the pain issue should be a determinant in if abortions should be legal or not.

To me, the argument should really hinge on the weighing of the value of a potential human vs the burden placed upon the mother and society.