Best Travel Advice

Another packing tip. Always pack a complete set of clothing (including undies) in your carry-on. That way if your checked luggage is lost or delayed you at least have clean set of clothes.

I disagree with the pack 2 bags for checked luggage. Airlines are raping people with checked baggage charges. Check as few bags as possible or fly on Southwest (or any other airline that doesn't have baggage fees). Originally Posted by Cpalmson
That is good advice, Cpalmson and I'm glad you brought it up.

After an overnight stop in Europe once, I discovered that my luggage had mistakenly gone ahead of me to my final destination.

Clean underclothes are a luxury we take for granted until fate snatches them from us!
I travel extensively in Asia and Europe, cable locks for computers are the only way to go. And use the hotel safe in the room, it is so suprising that so many people do not use them. Everything that will fit goes in whether I am overseas or here in the states.
I always check my luggage. I have to carry my computer bag on board and I do not want to deal with the bs of bin space otherwise.

I always rent cars. The costs, and convenience, is much less than the costs of the cabs. Plus, Hertz has the best GPS system out there.

Avoid American Airlines. I have lived in DFW and have flown AA twice. I can usually fly cheaper avoiding AA.

When flying to Memphis, TN fly into Little Rock, AR and you can save half.
Yeah, AA's engines tend to fall off. j/k
I always check my luggage. I have to carry my computer bag on board and I do not want to deal with the bs of bin space otherwise.

I always rent cars. The costs, and convenience, is much less than the costs of the cabs. Plus, Hertz has the best GPS system out there.

. Originally Posted by pyramider
If I was on the same flight as this guy I'd probably be finished with round 1 with a lovely at my hotel & he'd still be on a rental shuttle cursing Hertz...

Avoid American Airlines. I have lived in DFW and have flown AA twice. I can usually fly cheaper avoiding AA.

When flying to Memphis, TN fly into Little Rock, AR and you can save half. Originally Posted by pyramider
Thanks, pyramider.

Btw, if you don't mind me asking, what exactly do the Russian words under your signature say in English? And how you type them onscreen?
This is some good info. I have included a travel forum in our new International section. Thanks Nina for posting a link to this there...

St. C
Anytime...

Thanks, pyramider.

Btw, if you don't mind me asking, what exactly do the Russian words under your signature say in English? And how you type them onscreen?
Originally Posted by Fast Gunn
It's not Russian, it's Croation. Try using Google's translate tool:

http://translate.google.com/
Try to book the earliest flight going out as possible. This way, if you have any problems with your flight, you have more outgoing flights available to you.
International travel: Photocopy the front page of your passport and leave it at home with a trusted friend. Also, leave your bank (phone number), CC company phone number with a friend in case yours is stolen and you need the info right away.

Don't exchange Money at the airport, or at those money exchange places on the street because they charge a very high fee. Find out what your bank charges for International ATM withdrawls. For European travel, I order Euros/Pounds from my bank before I leave, it's cheaper. OH, and no one uses traveler's checks anymore, lol.

Pack a small first aid kit. Everyone makes fun of me for this one, but trust me...you don't want to be in Budapest at midnight looking for a bandage, or Aspirin.

Get travel insurance! It covers you, and most property. Your travel agent can tell you more, and it's about $90.00 or less.

Learn to use and love public transportation! Originally Posted by Nicole Preston
To add to what Nicole has posted:

I also carry a photocopy of my passport, driver's license and birth certificate and keep them in a separate place. That way, if any are lost or stolen, I've got these to work with.

Yeah, traveler's checks suck! Not only do most places not take them, but it's a major ordeal to get them cashed at a bank (or even an American Express office, if that's the brand you have). You'll also pay a "service fee" of 5-10%.

+1 on the first aid kit. Plus don't pack, or make sure you have several days supply of, any vital medication in case your luggage is misplaced.

+1 on the public transportation, particularly in Europe. It's convenient, relatively cheap and, at times, fun. I rented a car once in Europe thinking I could save money by driving. WRONG! Between the tolls, parking, gas, etc., I could have bought a Euro-rail pass and had a much more relaxing time.

Also, make sure you check to see if there's a departure tax. If you're on a tight budget and you've just spent your last dollar, euro, peso or yen on souvenirs for the folks back home, it's a rude awakening to be hit with a departure tax. Also, find out how they accept payment. Most will only take cash.
It's not Russian, it's Croation. Try using Google's translate tool:

http://translate.google.com/ Originally Posted by TexTushHog
Thanks for that tip, hog, but I see that pyramider has changed the wording on his sig line into a different language now!

No wonder that guy lives in a state of confusion!
Always have a few euros for the bathroom if your sightseeing. Travel light in Europe. They don't have "skycaps" at the airports.
International travel: Photocopy the front page of your passport and leave it at home with a trusted friend. Also, leave your bank (phone number), CC company phone number with a friend in case yours is stolen and you need the info right away.

Don't exchange Money at the airport, or at those money exchange places on the street because they charge a very high fee. Find out what your bank charges for International ATM withdrawls. For European travel, I order Euros/Pounds from my bank before I leave, it's cheaper. OH, and no one uses traveler's checks anymore, lol.

Pack a small first aid kit. Everyone makes fun of me for this one, but trust me...you don't want to be in Budapest at midnight looking for a bandage, or Aspirin.

Get travel insurance! It covers you, and most property. Your travel agent can tell you more, and it's about $90.00 or less.

Learn to use and love public transportation! Originally Posted by Nicole Preston

Nicole,
That is very good information. Also mentioned about the cable locks for computers is good info as well. I also use Lo-Jack on my laptop as well. Some countries won't necessary accept a photocopy of a passport unless it is certified. On one of my many trips to brazil, I was told to get certified copies and leave the original in the safe in the room. I was able to find a place in copacabana that did certified copies and I was set. During carnival if you are stopped and asked for indentification it is easlily accepted. Where as some times you can have your original taken from you. Don't happen often but has happened to a few people I know.

Also, it is always good to get the currency before you leave at your local bank that exchanges foreign currency. You will get a much better deal than exchanging it in the airport. Also, once at your location always know what the exchange rate for the day is so if you need to get more money you can exchange it at a much better rate than using ATM machines in most cases. But, you need to know someone on the ground to hook you up on where to go for that.

Get all necessary shots at a travel clinic prior to going on your trip and always have something for diarrhea. It could end up being your best decision on a trip. Always drink bottled water......
Also, it is always good to get the currency before you leave at your local bank that exchanges foreign currency. You will get a much better deal than exchanging it in the airport. Also, once at your location always know what the exchange rate for the day is so if you need to get more money you can exchange it at a much better rate than using ATM machines in most cases. But, you need to know someone on the ground to hook you up on where to go for that.

... Originally Posted by SOULMANIKE
I disagree with this advice although it is given often.

Sure exchange ~$USD100 whereever before departing. Even if you get a bad rate, it is a couple of bucks. You will have your necessary money for cabs, tips, beverages, etc. until you can find an appropriate place to exchange more money.

Bottomline on fx rates is it all depends on where you do it. If you live in the middle of BFE your local bank is unlikely to give you a great rate & may charge you some fees. Changing money in your departing airport is as bad as changing in your arriving airport. Exhanging at your hotel isn't a good idea either.

Assuming you are going to a cosmopolitan city or one with a lot of foreign tourism, you will have a better market for dollars on the other end at a bank