Eating Out (with) a Provider

• 03-06-2010, 06:07 PM
Restaurant Week Austin - www.restaurantweekaustin.com - is Sunday through Wednesday; $35 prix fixe 3 course menus at some of the best restaurants in town, including Aquarelle and Green Pastures, two of my favorites.
Most of those are good choices. I would add, Uchi, Roy's and Imperia. Also totally out of the way but great food Andiamo's. New place in Lakeway, I've not been but heard great things; Mizu.
Carmelo's on 5th
Were you thinking of Maggiano's? Highly recommended; excellent italian and romantic atmosphere.

http://www.maggianos.com/locations/d...d=001.025.0208 Originally Posted by ManUp

Actually, I was thinking of Gloria's -- and I heard from a friend last night that it's becoming the latest hip singles hangout for the 30+ crowd. Thanks for the input on Maggiano's, though!

Can't believe I didn't mention Siena -- romantic, excellent food, takes reservations (and 10 minutes from my house -- lol).

Lots of good suggestions, and maybe a little overwhelming at this point. Since you're coming from out of town, and assuming you're not gonna drink and drive, you can make a choice based on location at this point, rather than take a long-ass taxi ride back and forth (although you can basically get anywhere in this town in 25 minutes, excluding rush hour).

Oh, and everybody's talking about Vivo -- I stopped in briefly at the north location, but haven't been to the downtown one yet. Any input, fellow mongers and mongerettes?
Carmelo's on 5th Originally Posted by Texican1969
I ate there last night. Great food, service and atmosphere; a lot of 'blue hair' though...
vivo's is a great for atmosphere but the food is average.. i think though the average tastes in tex mex would be satisfied at vivo's. nice crowd. good looking ladies around on the weekend
  • ezman
  • 03-07-2010, 07:51 PM
Austin Land and Cattle, 12th & Lamar. IMHO, better than Ruth's Chris or Sullivan's.
anyone mention that place ummmm whats it called. damnit i cannot remember for the life of me. PF CHANGS whew

peace
atx
You know I never gave PF Changs much thought until I went in Ft. Worth in late January. I really liked it.

It is a chain, but it is in between typical chain restaraunts and fine dining. Our server only had maybe 1 or 2 other tables besides us. (typical chains will give servers up to 5 or 6) The waitress was VERY knowledgable about the menu, and her description of the two styles of scallops helped me make my decision. We had an appetizer and she brought us app plates, then removed those plates just before our entrees arrived. They had a desert cart as well. The only area she could have improved was her knowledge of the bar. It was one of the best dining experiences I have had for less than $50. I had an appetizer, two drinks, an entree, and desert all for about $35 I think.

Kudos to PF Changs.
Will be in Austin next week and need advice on a good place to eat with my provider dinner companion. Looking for good-great menu and wine list that is quiet/quaint/romantic and fitting for the 40+ crowd. Price not overly important. Any help is greatly appreciated. Friends have suggested Eastside Cafe and Wink. Cuisine type not overly important, but Italian, seafood, upscale American are preferred. Search wasn't very helpful. Thanks again. Originally Posted by Spelunker
Spelunker, your specifications give you few choices in Austin. Trio at the Four Seasons is about it for the stylish 40+ croud. It is the only place in this otherwise great town where you can wear an actual suit and tie and not feel overdressed. Whever you go, don't expect Dallas or Houston fine dining. Here, it's all about the best barbecue and Mexican food on the planet, or pretty good pretend food.

And chicks do dig it, particularly outside, if the weather works out for you. You can trust the waiter on wine selection. The bar is usually crowded with the Lobbyist/Lawyer/Investor crowd.
GG--Andiamo's . . . Isn't that the place in the strip center on Burnet Rd north of 183? Molto autentico, mi amico!
Excellent gourmet Tex-Mex at Manuel's on Jolleyville Rd in north Austin. Beautiful atmosphere but busy during dinner on Thurs - Sat.
GG--Andiamo's . . . Isn't that the place in the strip center on Burnet Rd north of 183? Molto autentico, mi amico! Originally Posted by meldrick
That's the place. And it is wonderful!
While the food is good, PF Chang's has way to much concrete,glass and steel. It's very noisy during busy hours! Walk around the corner to Roy's or Flemings. Or down the street to Shoreline grille or Trio. They are much more intimate if you want conversation and good food.
Tess
I've always wanted to try the melting pot... They have private rooms