Best and Worst Concert

The one thing that pissed me off about that show was that there was a big storm threatening and after a really nice Clapton set, Jeff Beck came out and only did one song. The guy I wanted to see most and one freaking song. If the storm had showed up 5 minutes later and chased everyone off that would've been one thing, but they did a complete set change and had ZZTop do their set as well. Originally Posted by maxim_232
but, if you recall, Jeff Beck was a surprise guest, he was not anywhere on the list of artists.. we got a flyer with each artist's time, upon entering the Cotton Bowl, and each artist stayed very close to the schedule.. we were lucky to see Beck at all.

but yeah, I would have rather bumped Robert Cray, Vince Gill, maybe Steve Vai, to have more Beck.. I missed Vai, and arrived around 12:20, for half of Cray's set... 11 hours later, when ZZ Top wrapped up the show, my feet were killing me!
I could've sworn that Jeff was on the ticket as I was anticipating seeing him. I was at the show on the plaza the night before and as I was walking around I could hear "Goin' Down" echoing around the parking lot while they were sound checking the stadium show.
But back to original topic. The Anne Lennox/Sting show at Starplex was far and away the most amazing show I've seen. Unfortunately Anne Lennox didn't get much of a stage show, just setup in front of the curtain and play with minimal tech support. Her voice, however, was absolutely amazing. She could still belt out stuff from 20 years prior like it was yesterday. Sting came out at the end of her set and did a duet with her. When the curtain dropped, it was off the fucking chain. The production values of that show were stunning, and I've had my fair share of work in the production business, so I'm not easily impressed.

Of course, the '78 Texxas Jam was an "experience" for sure, especially for a 13 y/o kid.
  • EZ.
  • 11-29-2014, 02:31 PM
Envious OldLRRP. What a great lineup and it just dawned on me what your handle represents. Duh! My utmost respect goes out to you for your service.

Great thread. Thanks OP Originally Posted by Rock'er
Thank you but I'm surprised anyone knows. There weren't many of us and very few left.
  • Lanny
  • 11-29-2014, 02:59 PM
Two Favorites...Boston in mid 90s Before the great Brad Delp passed...and The Eagles in Hell Freezes Over Tour...incredible!

Worst by far is last time I saw Def Leopard @ Starplex...Foreigner opened...obviously w/o Lou Gramm (bout 5 years ago)...but Def Leopard was worse...SUPPOSEDLY, Joe Elliot was "sick"...

Honorable mention to Phil Collins @ Reunion Arena 93 or 94...MUCH better than Genesis@ Texas Stadium in the "We Cant Dance" Tour, IMHO
But back to original topic. The Anne Lennox/Sting show at Starplex was far and away the most amazing show I've seen. Unfortunately Anne Lennox didn't get much of a stage show, just setup in front of the curtain and play with minimal tech support. Her voice, however, was absolutely amazing. She could still belt out stuff from 20 years prior like it was yesterday. Sting came out at the end of her set and did a duet with her. When the curtain dropped, it was off the fucking chain. The production values of that show were stunning, and I've had my fair share of work in the production business, so I'm not easily impressed.

Of course, the '78 Texxas Jam was an "experience" for sure, especially for a 13 y/o kid. Originally Posted by maxim_232
That's exactly right!! What a good memory!!
Fleetwood Mac @ Red Rocks Amphitheatre 1990
Best- The Who/Lynyrd Skynyrd@ Dallas Memorial Auditorium 1973

Worst- Aerosmith@Moody Colisieum.
Best- Zac Brown Band. Those guys are incredible preformer's and musicians.
Worst- Big and Rich.
Loudest- Def Leppard Pyromania tour at Reunion Arena.
Coolest -Pink Floyd, Pink pigs can fly.
Most Awesome- Went to the old Bronco Bowl in Dallas to watch the Cult play and the opening band was just kick ass as hell. It was Guns- n Roses.
I hate to, ahem, rain on your memory, but it was not that way.. as background, the Stones played 2 shows, Halloween and November 1st.. and it was 1981.. ZZ Top opened.

I was at the same show you were..Halloween.. the following day was sunny, great weather.. the show we attended was overcast, threat of rain throughout.. however, the actual rain was sporadic, at most.. early in the show, a light rain for 2 songs.. if you recall, Jagger said "please God, make it stop raining".. and it stopped.. untill the final song, when it rained fairly hard.. the Boys normally came out for an encore, but the rain picked up, and there was no way.. show over. Originally Posted by Chung Tran
Yep, same concert. Now that you mention it, I do remember Mick saying that. Obviously my other memories have been altered.
  • broes
  • 11-29-2014, 08:50 PM
Hard to say my favorite show. Ive gone to a shit ton of concerts over the years and generally have enjoyed them all. I suppose the most legendary show that I have attended was the Nirvana show at Trees. Not my favorite show but definitely the most talked about.

The worst show was easily David Allan Coe at Billy Bobs. He was drunk as shit and would stop every one of his hits about one minute in and start talking about the song. But he would play his new songs that nobody cared about in their entirety. Thankfully I didn't pay for that ticket.
Best of ALL TIME for me, and I've seen the Stones, Moody Blues, Journey, Who, Boston, Dean, ZZ Top, yadda, yadda, was Pink Floyd, Texas Stadium, 1993. It was lightly raining . . . incredible mood . . . disco ball reflecting off the raindrops and Gilmore and the sax player (name escapes me) during Dogs of War were AHMAAAZING!!!!!

Worst, Queen a couple of months ago . . . Adam Lambert??? Really???? Replacing Freddie??? Not hardly . . .
Oh here's a worst for you, Rigor Mortis down in Deep Ellum, I think it was Trees. I was actually mixing front of house, so I couldn't leave. Those guys were just fucking horrible.
  • broes
  • 11-29-2014, 10:35 PM
Oh here's a worst for you, Rigor Mortis down in Deep Ellum, I think it was Trees. I was actually mixing front of house, so I couldn't leave. Those guys were just fucking horrible. Originally Posted by maxim_232
Rigor Mortis was terrible but their lead guitar player was worth the price of admission.
I couldn't believe Dallas scored that show, with the amazing list of artists... once in a lifetime-type opportunity.. do you have the DVD? I do, and I'm confounded everytime I watch it, because the camera shots in the audience are so close to where I was, and I wore a bright orange T-shirt.. easy to pick me out in the crowd.. but watching the DVD, there are a number of orange T-shirt wearing Guys! I haven't seen myself yet, and I'm sure next time I watch, I'll get distracted, trying to locate my damn orange T-shirt wearing self again! Originally Posted by Chung Tran
Yes I got the DVD as well. It's too bad they left off a lot of great artists from the DVD though.