In the market for a new truck.

I bought my first truck this year. Its a 2016 Sierra Crew Cab short bed 2WD. I love it, quiet, great mileage and does everything I need it to do and can tow 9600 lbs if it had to.
CG. Sounds like you want a regular cab truck, with a long bed. Problem is, those are not very popular. So it's hard to get anything but the stripped down versions. If your credit is good, I wouldn't buy a truck brand new. Find one with 5 - 10000 miles on it. Save several thousand dollars that way. Toyota trucks are nice, but they are expensive. If you're not towing or anything, you might look at a GMC 1500. Or a Ford F-150.
I have good credit.

I went to look at the Tundra with the long bed and the problem is I can put it in the garage, I just can't close the garage.

But then if I get a regular bed truck, 1/4 of a 3 seat sofa will stick out from the back of the truck bed.

They need to 1. make all pick up trucks beds long enough to fit a 3 seat sofa and be able to close the gate on it and 2. make garages long enough to fit these trucks.

My 400 series 4 door Lexus barely fits in the garage. When you close the garage door there is maybe not even a foot between the end of the back bumper and the inside of the garage door.
Delete
I had a 2000 chevy silverado and it was the best vehicle I ever owned - if I hadn't wrecked it - oh well. I bought a 2010 silverado and hate it. My biggest issue is the Onstar crap they hard wire into the truck now. If I want a GPS, I can get one. I don't need one hard wired into my truck that Onstar, GM and the cops can access whenever they want without my permission. I went round and round with the dealership, onstar and GM to get it disabled/disconnected with no solutions - I found a video on youtube and have pulled the power to the onstar gps box in the dash - now all the lights on my dash are always lit up. Nice. I did eventually discover that Onstar is a subsidiary of GM - same company - but none of them can provide any helpful info.

Also, while the chevy's have a good mechanical history, its the little crap that is just cheap as shit that really pisses me off. And if you have to go to the dealership, or call GM, its a real pain. Seems like I have a lot of things broken that have nothing to do with the truck actually driving (tire monitor sensors, sensors for stabilitrak, sensors for airbags...I can pay through the nose to fix them, or ignore and not have any real warning if I have a real issue.
  • MRMR
  • 07-20-2016, 09:29 PM
Last 3 before my new 2016 Chevy were F-150's.
Would have bought the F-150 but there was about an 8K difference last fall in prices for a similar truck.
I wish I bought the Ford as it is a better truck.
Probably trading in in the next year.
I havent driven an F150 recently..... but I hear good things about them. Problem is, right now they cost nearly as much as an F250 diesel. $60,000 for a F150 Crew Cab 4wd King Ranch. But the F250 's are about to go up as well. With the 2017 models having the new aluminum bodies.
I'm in the auto industry and have worked for both ram and Chevy dealers. Pros and cons to each and it also depends on what you'll be using the truck for.

If you're going to be doing any towing at all stay away from the ford eco boost. your actual fuel economy will be far far less than what they promise, and their chassis is probably the worst of the big 3. Also, I think the jury is still out on the aluminum body.

If it were me, I would not hesitate to buy a ram. I was also a lifelong Chevy man, but my tenure with ram change my mind.

Ram Pros.
*Best ride quality bar none. The full box frame with independent coil suspension is the best chassis on the market.
*the 5.7 hemi is an outstanding power plant. The 3.0 diesel is also a beast but alittle pricey
*rams Uconnect infotainment system is top notch and award winning

Ram cons.
*Although improving ram resale value is less than competition
*just pulled back the power train warranty to 60k miles
*some traditional truck customers are not a fan of the torque flite 8 speed tranny

Take it for what it's worth, but just my opinion as an industry insider. FYI, I no longer work for ram. I'm currently with a gm dealer
I'm in the auto industry and have worked for both ram and Chevy dealers. Pros and cons to each and it also depends on what you'll be using the truck for.

If you're going to be doing any towing at all stay away from the ford eco boost. your actual fuel economy will be far far less than what they promise, and their chassis is probably the worst of the big 3. Also, I think the jury is still out on the aluminum body.

If it were me, I would not hesitate to buy a ram. I was also a lifelong Chevy man, but my tenure with ram change my mind.

Ram Pros.
*Best ride quality bar none. The full box frame with independent coil suspension is the best chassis on the market.
*the 5.7 hemi is an outstanding power plant. The 3.0 diesel is also a beast but alittle pricey
*rams Uconnect infotainment system is top notch and award winning

Ram cons.
*Although improving ram resale value is less than competition
*just pulled back the power train warranty to 60k miles
*some traditional truck customers are not a fan of the torque flite 8 speed tranny

Take it for what it's worth, but just my opinion as an industry insider. FYI, I no longer work for ram. I'm currently with a gm dealer Originally Posted by bigbangbang
does the RAM still have the death wobble?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8J5WSkokN1M
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UfHtcUZXljw Originally Posted by corona
This, is some funny shit! Lmao!
If you are in the market for a new ram truck. You should check out http://www.dennisdillonchryslerjeepdodge.com/ it will be the lowest price you can find with out having to negotiate. Go test drive the ram truck you want then just order through them. That's what I did. Had all the paperwork taken care of before I showed up. Just flew up and had them meet me at airport with the truck and started my roadtrip/vacation back to TX.
I own an '08 F150. Agree that the Ford looks much better than others but if you are planning to use it as a truck then take a look at this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BTm2F4ysQrE

Military grade or not aluminum is not as strong as steel. Maybe Ford will bring back the steel bed and leave the rest of the body parts aluminum. Alas, until then, I'm afraid I'll have to pass on the Ford.
My issue with Ford is the electrical system. My company car would "reset" and twice it shut down, once on the freeway.
I'd go with a Ford or Toyota truck. Both are solidly built. The Toyota wins it for me.