Location, Location, Location

• bbkid
  • 10-28-2010, 04:45 PM
I'd avoid the entire East site, and down towards Galveston. (Including Clear Lake.) Originally Posted by blowpop
Hey man, easy on us. Ok?
Clear Lake by a mile.
North West or Galleria
thank you for the input. still undecided although will be a few minutes before I venture into a more permanent location. I think I'm favoring the 59s area, although may try the midtown area eventually since spoken fond of. a little surprised about the clear lake responses, I assumed since a nice little area that it may have had higher opinions of it.
I used to live in the Clear Lake area back when I actually lived in Houston - I would stay away from there if for no other reason than the traffic to get to/from there is just getting more and more insane.

On the flip side, Houston is increasingly pulling in more and more of the finance guys like me (read that as very deep pocketed guys who have significant need of occasional "stress-reducing services") - Houston is just too damn attractive with the very low taxes compared to the traditional places like Manhattan/Greenwich or Chicago. Most of where these are getting started or are already established are near the Galleria area/Greenway Plaza/etc, with some also in the midtown/downtown area. The oil and gas, also with lots of deep pockets, are also in the midtown/downtown area. Keep this in mind if you are looking for convenient access to well-heeled clients.
Med. center,galleria,rosenberg,clea r lake it doesn't matter. If you are pretty they come to you no matter where you are. Originally Posted by anita
Well Said.
  • Trey
  • 10-29-2010, 10:38 AM
Clear lake sucks, to far if you just wanted to live there its ok but to base from there would cost you.
I used to live in the Clear Lake area back when I actually lived in Houston - I would stay away from there if for no other reason than the traffic to get to/from there is just getting more and more insane.

On the flip side, Houston is increasingly pulling in more and more of the finance guys like me (read that as very deep pocketed guys who have significant need of occasional "stress-reducing services") - Houston is just too damn attractive with the very low taxes compared to the traditional places like Manhattan/Greenwich or Chicago. Most of where these are getting started or are already established are near the Galleria area/Greenway Plaza/etc, with some also in the midtown/downtown area. The oil and gas, also with lots of deep pockets, are also in the midtown/downtown area. Keep this in mind if you are looking for convenient access to well-heeled clients. Originally Posted by MountainHiker

I guess I missed the news about there not being traffic jams in the Galleria Area anymore because the last time I was there around 3pm to about 7pm you could get out grab a drink and get back to your car and still probably not have to move it. 45S outside the BW has traffic from about 4 to 6 and thats about it. The CL area isn't bad at all after 6, just people going out to eat at the 500 different types of restaurants in the area or Movies or Clubs or going to Kemah or Galveston. People that say CL is bad haven't been here lately. I can't see how "Deep Pockets" only choose Midtown. Friendswood was built to house the Oil and Gas Executives of Exxon and that wealth built up the area including CL. Good luck if you go Downtown, All the condos being built around there in all the old warehouses have security gates around them for a reason, Look at the areas around downtown and you will understand. I stopped a couple from getting robbed after a baseball game one night and they lived right across the street from the Ballpark. They said car break ins and mugings were bad around there. Just Remember MissFunTimes, Where ever you go you just need to be careful and watch you own back because it is getting worse everywhere. Lots of people looking for a free ride.
cant someone come up north already, sheesh
I guess I missed the news about there not being traffic jams in the Galleria Area anymore because the last time I was there around 3pm to about 7pm you could get out grab a drink and get back to your car and still probably not have to move it. 45S outside the BW has traffic from about 4 to 6 and thats about it. The CL area isn't bad at all after 6, just people going out to eat at the 500 different types of restaurants in the area or Movies or Clubs or going to Kemah or Galveston. People that say CL is bad haven't been here lately. I can't see how "Deep Pockets" only choose Midtown. Friendswood was built to house the Oil and Gas Executives of Exxon and that wealth built up the area including CL. Good luck if you go Downtown, All the condos being built around there in all the old warehouses have security gates around them for a reason, Look at the areas around downtown and you will understand. I stopped a couple from getting robbed after a baseball game one night and they lived right across the street from the Ballpark. They said car break ins and mugings were bad around there. Just Remember MissFunTimes, Where ever you go you just need to be careful and watch you own back because it is getting worse everywhere. Lots of people looking for a free ride. Originally Posted by JoeCanGo
It's all a matter of perspective. For example, I am in our office on Post Oak looking out at 610 and 59 - both are flowing fine at 6:15 pm on a Friday evening. And I used to live in Friendswood, not Clear Lake - it's a nightmare down there now, and has gotten much worse in the last few years. But I was also thinking about where people are during the day ...

As far as Friendswood goes - it is basically white suburbia. There are people there that are well off, but basically none of the really deep pockets live in that area. Can you name any of the richest 100 in the region that live in Friendswood? ... try more like Bellaire/Memorial/ ... But my definition of deep pockets consists of the serious multimillionaires (or higher).

However, you do have a point. Crime and traffic are pretty prevalent throughout Houston, and no area is immune to serious traffic. Also, Friendswood/Clear Lake are relatively safer, whereas downtown areas vary from very safe to don't go there.
Inside the beltway, other places are just so dang hard to get to with traffic.
Med. center,galleria,rosenberg,clea r lake it doesn't matter. If you are pretty they come to you no matter where you are. Originally Posted by anita
As a seeker (as opposed to a provider) I can't argue with that logic. In my earlier day's, I traveled all the way to Tomball (even though I lived south of town) and on multiple occasions. Of course I worked a 9/80 schedule and had ever other Friday off ... so I liked to roam around town on those days.

Now-a-days I'm not so sure about Tomball anymore ... I prefer closer to where I work (downtown) ... so greenway plaza/midtown is pretty convenient.
It's all a matter of perspective. For example, I am in our office on Post Oak looking out at 610 and 59 - both are flowing fine at 6:15 pm on a Friday evening. And I used to live in Friendswood, not Clear Lake - it's a nightmare down there now, and has gotten much worse in the last few years. But I was also thinking about where people are during the day ...

As far as Friendswood goes - it is basically white suburbia. There are people there that are well off, but basically none of the really deep pockets live in that area. Can you name any of the richest 100 in the region that live in Friendswood? ... try more like Bellaire/Memorial/ ... But my definition of deep pockets consists of the serious multimillionaires (or higher).

However, you do have a point. Crime and traffic are pretty prevalent throughout Houston, and no area is immune to serious traffic. Also, Friendswood/Clear Lake are relatively safer, whereas downtown areas vary from very safe to don't go there. Originally Posted by MountainHiker
I agree with your point on Friendswood (which is actually where I live), It is not a Billionaire Town for sure. But it does have its share of well off people. And is a Great Place to live. We could find good and bad points on every town in texas, All that matters is being happy where you're at.
There is something to be said for a micro-bus......why limit yourself.
There is something to be said for a micro-bus......why limit yourself. Originally Posted by dearhunter

There you go DH, and then everybodys Happy. I've seen some nice Custom Hummers, Hell Ya a Hummer for a Hummer.